What would you do ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterdufus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, picture this. Cold water, shore diving, I'm geared up, dry suit, tanks, mask on, the whole 9 yards. Walking backwards into the water, I look over to my " insta " buddy ( met him 3 minutes before that ). He is laying on his back in about 2 ft of water, looks up at me and says, ( doesn't ask ) SAYS, " put my fins on ". He has those crappy fin buckles, I have no idea why everybody doesn't buy springs for their fins. ( springs are one of the best inventions around ) Anyway, he can't hold his leg up, so I have to hold his leg up in one hand and put his fins on with the other. By the time I'm done , my mask is fogged up and I'm verging on sweating. Doesn't say thanks or anything. I was so ticked off....

I put his fins on, but if it ever happens again, I don't think I'd do it again. I'd suggest he stand in the water and use my shoulder while they put their own fins on, ( in the water or out ) I really don't think it's my job to put their fins on, especially the way it was done and the demand style. Also, if everybody's in the water and someone's struggling, again I don't mind helping as long as they have at least tried to do it themselves.

Am I being a dork ? I think this guy just pissed me off with his style ( or lack of it ).

Your experience is far from unique, and it's one of the many reasons I dive solo.

I had to help a guy out with a fin strap..down around 90 feet or more on the Eagle in the Florida Keys. Took several minutes to get him straightened out and that took a huge hit out of my available bottom time.

Didnt even get a word of thanks for it.

That sounds really funny! I have never experienced that before... So, what exactly did he do after you put his fins on while he was on his back in two feet of water? Did he also demand that you tow him out into deeper water, or that you roll him over while he crawls into deeper water? Find out where he got certified and make a note to watch out for divers from that shop.

I think that you are perfectly within your rights to suggest while still on shore that you both don your fins in deeper water so that you don't overheat from the struggle. If he is unreceptive you can always shout "see you out there!" and make a dash into the water before he can flop onto his back and start flailing.

Spring straps rock!

The correct reply would have been "No, Thanks" as you pass him on the way to deeper water.

I think the irritating thing is that he didn't say anything to you beforehand about this. I have dived with folks, especially new divers, who have told me, "I have a lot of trouble getting these fins on and I often need help." I then have no problem helping them, and I show them my springs at the end of the dive and suggest they consider them.

But having someone just lie back and EXPECT me to do it would irritate me, too.

It's the diver's responsibility to put on his own kit and have it checked by his buddy, so you're not being a dork. What would I do? I think I would have mentioned that I was ready for him to check my gear and did he want to do it or would he prefer that I get a different buddy for the dive? If that didn't get him off his butt, he's not someone I'd want to dive with anyway. I'll help out anyone who asks, but his actions may be an indicator of a lack of fitness and that's another kettle of fish.

that sounded funny...he ticked u off from the get go when he said put my fins on..I for one would have looked at him with a look of you are kidding me...then as the good buddy I am, I would put his fins on but not so delicately...then I would have taken his snorkel off and beat him with it....really. What would he do run after you in the surf?..:p...

all kidding aside...suck it up - this happens however frustrating it is...next time you find yourself in this situation, make sure to make a dive plan with your insta buddy and set the rules up...avoid that hassle. If you can.

I would have used it as a teacing opportunity. Point out to him how much easier it is to half float in chest deep water, and maybe he can do it himself. I will help someone who NEEDS help, but I will NOT do the whole job for anyone.

I don't think I would have helped him. I would have helped him up and told him how much easier it is to get fins on in deeper water.

Its not your job to put their fins on unless they have talked about it with you before hand.

I would have helped. Then, I would ask him to consider the effort he made me go through to save him the trouble. I would tell him that he needs to put on his big-boy pants and let's go enjoy the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom