Looking to mount a camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlaineAtk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Im looking to mount a camera to my speargun, but I would like to make the mount universal due to i have a few different guns. Anybody have any good ideas?

Is it a wood gun or Aluminum? I found a stainless steel bolt long enough to extend thru the wood up enough to allow for a lock nut and washer and enough to screw the camera on by the tripod mount. I basically just screw the camera on into the tripod mount. Cost me about 2 bucks. I suppose you could do it on aluminum as well.

This has been answered more than a dozen times in the past six months... Here is a picture of my first mount. Works great, but you need to make sure the hardware is stainless.

JohnOly also has some pictures of his C-clamp setup which seems good too- no drilling requirements. I chose to drill, though, because the hardware is lighter, and seems like it would produce less drag in the water. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• speargun - camera project1.jpg
    speargun - camera project1.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 56
  • speargun - camera project3.jpg
    speargun - camera project3.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 49
  • speargun - camera project5.jpg
    speargun - camera project5.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 48
  • speargun - camera project6.jpg
    speargun - camera project6.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 45
awesome, thanks guys. Sorry for reapeating a post, I didnt think about checking elsewhere. both of my guns are wood, i really like the idea!

Do you have to re seal the wood or anything? I really like the pictures you added, what all is included in the construction of this? it looks like a stainless eyebolt, Some rubber washers? and another small bolt?

That's pretty much it.

-Drill pilot hole for the bolt, then put 2-3 layers of clear fingernail polish in / around the hole.

-Run the eye-bolt through the gun (*I put a rubber washer on the end to prevent it moving / cracking the wood. However, I don't think that would be a problem even if it wasn't there.)

-As for the mounting post for the camera, just run a bolt up through the eye with washers on both sides- the thin rubber washers here help keep the camera from turning.

-Once that's mounted, put a brass (SS if you can find one, but I never could) wingnut upside down on the post. This way, you can screw the camera down onto the post, then screw the wingnut up to secure the camera. Somebody suggested a nylon wingnut to prevent cracking against the camera housing, but that kept slipping on me, so I just stuck with the brass- haven't had any problems with it (about 40-50 dives w/ camera mounted).

A video in case you want to see how it looks when mounted. I like the first person shooter look.

Spearfishing the Russian Freighter and Destin Liberty Ship on Vimeo

Awesome, Nice video too by the way! Was the Freighter really that green when you were there or was that just your camera doing that? I also cant believe that with all the shooting going on you didnt have some big bull sharks move in on you, we dive out there, and it seems like they know the sound of the guns because as soon as you start shooting, the bulls move straight in and try to take the fish off the end of your spear if you dont move fast enough.

Yes, the freighter was that green that day. On the last video, section, probably the last two minutes, we got buzzed several times by a big bull- ~9ft. Never got any fish though. I was excited about getting it on camera, but got back on the boat to find that my batteries had died during the dive, so no video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom