Nitrox Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I use the Suunto Cobra and the Sunnto Gekko wrist, when my computer is set to 32% o2 it says I have MOD of 127 with the po2 of 1.6. My SSI dive tables say the MOD for 32% is 135 with a po2 of 1.6. I know its just a few feet but I want to know what I can really do safely. Can I go to 130 or not. If I do what will my computers do at that depth.

MOD=Partial Pressure Gas/Percentage of Gas

MOD 32% O2 with a partial pressure of 1.6=1.6/.32=5ata=132fsw

I wouldn't suggest diving to such a high PPO2. 1.6 is fine for deco. 1.4 is the current accepted mass PPO2 for normal diving.

Your computer is likely going to start beeping at you.

Most tables have rounding errors. The computer may also be allowing for 32%+/- 1/2% or some reasonable deviation from nominal. Thus the difference.

Also, if you are at altitude the computer may be adjusting for this.

Lastly, 1.6 is a very aggressive limit, normally used for deco. I would use 1.4 max.

The mathematical formula for MOD is (PPO2/ FO2-1)X 33 (or 34 for fresh water) . Using that formula the maximum operating depth for 32% O2 at a PPO2 of 1.6 is 132fsw (salt water) or 136 ffw (fresh water).

That being said, it is not recommended to excede a PPO of 1.4; which there the MOD would be 111.4 fsw or 114.8 ffw. Going beyond a PPO2 of 1.4 should only be done as an emergency contingency or for decompression.

I use the Suunto Cobra and the Sunnto Gekko wrist, when my computer is set to 32% o2 it says I have MOD of 127 with the po2 of 1.6. My SSI dive tables say the MOD for 32% is 135 with a po2 of 1.6. I know its just a few feet but I want to know what I can really do safely. Can I go to 130 or not. If I do what will my computers do at that depth.

Suunto computers have what I call a nanny function; they always calculate your oxygen loading and MOD at the next higher integer percentage to the one you've set. This is explicitly stated in the manual. This isn't a problem if you're actual FO2% is XX.5% or higher, but is a pain if it's XX.4% or below. In the latter case, in order to get the same MOD result as a table you have to set the computer for the next lower FO2%. Example, if your FO2 analyzes 32.2% and you set the computer for 32%, it will do all calculations and give you MOD for 33%. Which is why it gives you a result of 127' and not 132' for EAN32 @ 1.6 PO2.

Your SSI dive tables should show MOD @ 32%/1.6 as 132', not 135'. If you look in the SSI Nitrox manual, there should be a table (in Chapter 2 IIRR) which lists MOD for PO2s of 1.3 to 1.6. And as others have mentioned, it's considered a good idea to use a working PO2 max. of <=1.4 rather than 1.6.

Guy

Suunto computers have what I call a nanny function

I tend to refer to it is a "101%" mix. So if you are diving Nitrox that measures at 32.5%, it rounds both fractions up, so it treats the O2 as being 33% for oxygen toxicity, but the N2 at 68% for decompression limits.

I tend to refer to it is a "101%" mix. So if you are diving Nitrox that measures at 32.5%, it rounds both fractions up, so it treats the O2 as being 33% for oxygen toxicity, but the N2 at 68% for decompression limits.

Pisses me off regardless. I'm perfectly capable of rounding by myself to whichever I think is the best setting. I see no need to round 32.1% up to 33%, so I'm forced to remember to set the computer 'wrong' (i.e. 31%) in that case. I guess it's too much to ask that Suunto treat me like an adult.

Guy

Suunto computers have what I call a nanny function; they always calculate your oxygen loading and MOD at the next higher integer percentage to the one you've set. This is explicitly stated in the manual. This isn't a problem if you're actual FO2% is XX.5% or higher, but is a pain if it's XX.4% or below. In the latter case, in order to get the same MOD result as a table you have to set the computer for the next lower FO2%. Example, if your FO2 analyzes 32.2% and you set the computer for 32%, it will do all calculations and give you MOD for 33%. Which is why it gives you a result of 127' and not 132' for EAN32 @ 1.6 PO2.

Your SSI dive tables should show MOD @ 32%/1.6 as 132', not 135'. If you look in the SSI Nitrox manual, there should be a table (in Chapter 2 IIRR) which lists MOD for PO2s of 1.3 to 1.6. And as others have mentioned, it's considered a good idea to use a working PO2 max. of <=1.4 rather than 1.6.

Guy

Hi Guy,

I'm perhaps not the only one who does this, but when the O2 analyzer readout starts to level off, I don't hold it there for another minute or two to get the last few tenths of a percent accuracy - I get a little impatient and end the test. Maybe Suunto is trying to take into account the fact that actual O2 levels tend to be a bit higher than the readings some of us take.

Back
Top Bottom