Physical conditioning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All's I can say folks is that if you are living a sedentary life and are middle-aged and want to go diving after years of not doing anything except watching TV and munching at night, take you a** to the gym or pool and get your heart and lungs is shape. It could mean the differnce between life and your death.

Good post!

I see far too many divers who are REALLY out of shape. Not only do they increase their risk of a cardiovascular "event" but they may not be much good to a buddy in an emergency.

I've been improving my cardio by doing Tae Bo daily, right at home. There's even full length workout videos on youtube if you want to get started right away. If you're not used to exercising, it will kick your butt and vastly improve your cardio if you stick with it. You're burning lots of calories at the same time as well, of course.

I agree. Another benefit is a long, healthy life. My 93 year old Dad can attest to that. He and I have both been exercising all of our lives. He set a good example.

So now I'm 60 and still an avid diver. I do admit that Intro to Cave in the caves of N. Florida did kick my butt but I understand that happens to the 20 year old's too.

I tell people I exercise, at a gym, so I can get back on the boat after 4 dives a day each day, but I do admit it's dragging it back on the boat after the 4th dive of the last day. :)

I fully agree. I am helping one lady in a class right now. She would do better if she were more physically fit.

It seems like a lot of people get into the sport thinking that it is easy and not physically intensive. Maybe it is a lack of experience or they are just being naive, but even I had that impression a long time ago. It would be nice to see certification agencies require more intensive physical fitness requirements so that the divers are safer, their buddies are safer, and so they can get more enjoyment out of the sport.

All's I can say folks is that if you are living a sedentary life and are middle-aged and want to go diving after years of not doing anything except watching TV and munching at night, take you a** to the gym or pool and get your heart and lungs is shape. It could mean the differnce between life and your death.

You can say the samething about any type of activity to include sitting in a recliner.

Even if you start a excercise program from living a sedentary life, it is recommended to see a doctor before excercising.
I had known people that has passed away while sitting in a recliner or lying in bed.

OTOH, I had a friend that passed away serveral years ago. She ran several full marathons per year and was a true health nut. She went out running, did not come home on night, her husband went looking for her and found her on the side of the rode unconscience. They had thought a car tagged her, the medical examiner ruled it a heart attack. She was 46 years old.

It seems like a lot of people get into the sport thinking that it is easy and not physically intensive. Maybe it is a lack of experience or they are just being naive, but even I had that impression a long time ago. It would be nice to see certification agencies require more intensive physical fitness requirements so that the divers are safer, their buddies are safer, and so they can get more enjoyment out of the sport.

I think that we have enough of "big brother" telling us what we can and cant do. I am a big boy, and excercising should be at my discreation. I dont need another agency telling me how much excercise I need or how many push ups or sit up I have to complete to hold a C-card. I might as well go back into an infantry unit then.

I actually backed out of this to see if I was in the right forum/thread. Isn't this the Accidents and Incidents forum?

I actually backed out of this to see if I was in the right forum/thread. Isn't this the Accidents and Incidents forum?

Yes. It's in the wrong place.

But coming back to the OP's point, it all depends.
If you are careful to choose your dives, diving can be as easy or as strenuous as you want to make it. So while I agree that if I want to do strenuous dives then I'll make sure I stay fit enough to take care of what comes up, OTOH I don't feel I have any moral right to tell a once per year vacation diver in calm waters in a tropical location that he can only dive if he gets into condition.

Back
Top Bottom