Diving near Rome, Italy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gorock

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be traveling to Rome in July for a wedding. We will be there for about a week with no real plans of traveling anywhere else. I have been to Italy before, never for diving, but the people I am traveling with have not and just want to have a relaxed few days to see Rome and enjoy the change of pace. Is there any decent diving in the area? I'm preferential to wrecks.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Ciao,

Just happen to be looking at European diving and saw your thread. We'll I'm from a city about 60km north West on the western coast called Civitavecchia. I was born there and travel back every summer. I've spear fished there for the last 20 years and the Terranian coast line of that area is pretty nice for top and bottom enjoyment.

Diving is nice, waters are calm durring the summer, July is the best time, and very slow or no currents at all. Off the coast of Civitavecchia, literly about 1km out of Port Riva di Triano there is a WWII wreck split in half at about 100ft, the reefs are not like in the Floriday Keys or Tropics, but there are very nice wall dives, the reefs are volcanic with millions of cracks and holes where you'll find Grouper, Lobsters, Scorpian fish, octopus hanging out. Water vis is about 30 ~ 100ft depending. Temp at bottom about <70 in July so a 5mm/hoody/gloves/boots is a must.

Diving gets better and better from Civitavecchia going north to the French Rivera or from Naples going south. From Civitavecchia going north to Mt. Argentario at Port Ercole there a few dive shops and should be pretty good diving there.

The most intersting thing is on any given dive you may come across Roman artifacts. Years back we found a Roman anchor, many times I find pottery, etc.

You can get to Civitavecchia by train from Termini station or by car. About 1hr traveling. Port Riva di Triano is right off the Via Aurelia road or just a km or two away from the Autostrada exit to Civitavecchia Sud.

Here are the two dive shops I've dove with many times in the past at the port of Triano. Good outfits but call in advance to set up an appointment as many times durring the summer they are on dive trips to Egypt. Good luck

cic

Gruppo Nasim - Corsi SUB Roma

Rob

Rob thank you very much for the information. Not sure if I will be able to get underwater while I'm there but I am hoping so. I will definitely look into those two shops and how I can get their by train as I do not think we plan on renting a car. We will see what my girlfriend thinks about me sneaking away for a day to dive, but I am definitely working on it.

Thanks again,

Jason

Hey Jason, sorry I couldn't get back with you sooner,

I think you should for sure look into it. It'll be a nice day diving. The shops have all gear required, but bring your own mask and fins just in case. I would talk the girl friend in going because it'll be a nice day on the water for her as well. The boat or Zodiac depending on which shop you go with go just about 1km off the coast. The coast line is real nice and it's usually a 1 tank dive so she would not be stuck on the boat all day.

Also she can just hang out at Riva Di Triano port while you dive because it's a nice dock with a few restaurants and bars she can just chill and enjoy a drink at. You would be out diving for about an hour at the most.

Hope you make it and enjoy the day. With some luck I'll be diving there in July too as I'm planning on visiting home around then.

cheers,
Rob

......or from Civitavecchia you can take the "fast" boat to Sardinia...you're gonna be there in about 6hrs.:D

+1, true that! Sardinia is real nice in the summer but one would have to make a few days trip out of it. One day just isn't enough to enjoy the land and sea there. Isn't called the Emerald coast for nothing.

Back
Top Bottom