React Pro Short Battery Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sanjac

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

I am trying to get a consensus before I make a decision and would appreciate your input. My React Pro eats batteries for lunch - lasting a couple of months even when not used for many dives - it is my back-up dive computer that I hang on a retractor (my primary is a T-3). I was told the most likely reason for the battery drain is water getting through the buttons and rusting up the insides, creating a circuit bridge that uses up the battery.

My dive shop said it is out of warranty, but Genesis will let me trade it in for another one for about $120 or so (dive shop is still waiting for a final price). Several questions come to mind.

1) How many of you have had the same problem? Will I most likely run into the same situation down the road with another React Pro?

2) For the Dealer Rep (and anyone else that wants to comment), will I end up with a rebuilt or new one if I pay the $120 or so? If a rebuilt, what kind of warranty is on it and am I ending up with someone else's problem child that was sent in for repair (who knows how well it was taken care of by the previous owner).

Thoughts? Experiences? Advice?

Jim

Hello All,

I am trying to get a consensus before I make a decision and would appreciate your input. My React Pro eats batteries for lunch - lasting a couple of months even when not used for many dives - it is my back-up dive computer that I hang on a retractor (my primary is a T-3). I was told the most likely reason for the battery drain is water getting through the buttons and rusting up the insides, creating a circuit bridge that uses up the battery.

My dive shop said it is out of warranty, but Genesis will let me trade it in for another one for about $120 or so (dive shop is still waiting for a final price). Several questions come to mind.

1) How many of you have had the same problem? Will I most likely run into the same situation down the road with another React Pro?

2) For the Dealer Rep (and anyone else that wants to comment), will I end up with a rebuilt or new one if I pay the $120 or so? If a rebuilt, what kind of warranty is on it and am I ending up with someone else's problem child that was sent in for repair (who knows how well it was taken care of by the previous owner).

Thoughts? Experiences? Advice?

Jim

Jim, I had the same problem with my Genesis React Pro, but was told it was due to a faulty diode. From what I understand the battery consumption problem exists with several Palagic made computer models. Palagic is the manufacturer for computers sold under the Genesis, Sherwood, Aeris and Oceanic names. My brother has been experiencing the same issue with his React Pro as well. As mine die I will replace with something made by Seiko, Suunto or Mares...

Good luck!!

Thanks for the response. I had heard rumors of the issue and wanted to try to confirm them. Anyone else having the same problem?

To be fair to the name brands, my Aeris T3 is awesome and I have had no issues with it on about 45 dives so far. But I have heard of battery issues with the React Pro and the wristwatch versions - like the Epic, Geo, and Nemo dive watch computers.

Jim

Jim, did the dealer open up the battery hatch and reveiw whether or not the connection point is bent up? There have been several instances where the computer is reading low battery because the power connection pin was bent up after a battery change. When the pin is bent up, the computer will show low battery very quickly after the battery change. There is nothing wrong with the computer, the power connection is simply weakend by the pin being out of position.

I'll have my LDS check it out. Thanks for the info.

Stay away from Genesis. I has the same as you and had the same problem, when mine stop working a Genesis rep. told the dive shop I went to that there was nothing they would do about it. Finally, I sold my two Genesis and never again! Good luck with yours

Genesis computers are very good quality and carry the same industry standard warranty as most all of the Scuba manufacturers. If the battery life is not adequate, please contact any authorized dealer with your proof of purcahse. Unless the product was purchased second hand, on Ebay or years out of warranty, we would never tell a dealer there is nothing we can do about it. This is misinformation or an opinion. In fact,we offer great prices on upgrades. Sorry to hear about your experience Spearo, but this is not how we operate.

My issue was a contact that would intermittently make contact. Each time, it shortened the battery life due to a short caused by the contact. Once fixed at the LDS, it has worked flawlessly.

I own 9 of these. A couple did have the problem of short battery life. IF you return them to PSI, you will get a refurb unit. It will NOT be a new unit in most cases. It also will NOT have a warranty (my point of contention with them)!! Be sure you check it as soon as it arrives as one of my repaired ones was not fixed, ate the battery again and PSI tried to deny any ownership of the problem. I have found them to be pretty easy and good to use and low profile enough to stuff anywhere as a back-up. Their new download software is easier to use, but there are others that are better out there (I use MacDive). If I were to redesign them however, I would make a more user friendly battery compartment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom