Suunto Vyper/Gekko depth sensor inaccurate - possible fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tortuga68

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Recently my Vyper with ~200 dives on it started giving innacurate depth readings... it would show 0m when I was 2-3m under, and be out by that margin at any depth, leading to obvious issues with safety stops, NDLs etc

I did a search on SB and found a lot of similar reports and thought I would be up for a new computer, bummer

First though I decided to give it an overnight soak in fresh water and try it again... done 4 dives since and it's been fine, so I assume some salt crystal buildup in the sensor was causing the problem

Worth a try before you lash out on a new one if you have the same problem

People laugh but when soaking gear I often leave gear in my rinse bucket at home for a couple of hours. Salt does build up and just a quick soak does nothing. Further, for gauges I typically soak in warm water.

I think that > 80% of suunto depth sensor "failures" can be explained by them not being freshwater soaked.

Just rincing in the tank doesn't cut it, that will wash off the surface salt but that sensor has fairly small holes and will hold water in it and not allow the fresh water in. The best thing is a long soak.
I use a fresh water soaking between dive days if I'm doing a multi day thing. I suppose the best way is to say it is: I keep the thing wet, it doesn't dry out until It's had a chance to freshwater soak for it at least 8 hours. I've never lost a suunto in 14 years.

My gekko had a problem with one of the buttons not responding. A freshwater soak and cycling the button a few times cleared out whatever was gummed up in the button. Good as new!

My gekko had a problem with one of the buttons not responding. A freshwater soak and cycling the button a few times cleared out whatever was gummed up in the button. Good as new!

Bumping the thread - mid week here in Cozumel, and noticed today I was doing my safety stops a good 5 feet below my group... One was from Europe, so figured it was a 3m/5m thing (vs 15ft), but when I ascended I noticed I was getting 0ft about 5 or so feet from the surface.

Wuh oh...

Had been leaving the comp at the dive shop, but brought it home to ensure it wasn't something stupid like me accidentally adjusting altitude while screwing around with Nitrox settings. Currently it's soaking in a warm bath (thank you, hotel ice bucket) and hopefully tomorrow's dive will be ok.

I"m assuming the sensors are way under the rubber and not easily accessible (only ports I can see are the pins to connect the data cable), is there a nice way save for soaking that I should somehow be decontaminating the salt accumulation (sure sounds from above like that's the culprit)

---------- Post added February 20th, 2013 at 05:52 PM ----------

Dammit... no go, still a solid (and consistent) 15ft off... Last day of diving today anyway, shall see if it's worth servicing, but feel I may be in the market for some new kit...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom