Good Deal or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steverussell

Reaction score
After doing a quick Costco search I may be opening a can of worms here,
I do about 15-20 dives per year almost always in warm water locals.

I don't own my own actual diving gear besides mask, snorkel, booties and fins.
But after a recent trip and using some sketchy equipment I feel I have to get my own gear.

My local Costco has diving gear on sale through a local dive shop.
They have a Aqua Lung Wave BC for $ 330 canadian (US_ 237)
TUSA Platina 130-- $ 320 canadian (US_ 230)
TUSA Octopus-- $ 140 canadian (US_ 100)
AquaLung Pivot II--$ 180 canadian (US_ 130)
or the AquaLung Matrix II--$ 340 canadian (US_ 244)
They also offer another reg and second stage both by Aqua Lung
Calypso-- $ 220 canadian (US_ 158)
Octopus-- $ 120 canadian (US_ 86)
Is this a good deal?

The dude from the dive shop at the Costco says that the prices are about 30% less than in the store, I've visited the LDS and that much is true.
After reading several threads on this board I will visit a couple more LDS's to see what they have to offer.

Firstly,

While I shop at Costco for many things, dive gear would NOT be one of the items I would get there for many obvious reasons.

I can't remark about the items you've mentioned as I don't own any of them. I have what I have of different manufacturers. It is more advisable to support one of your local dive shops, especially for thier dedication to knowing the gear they sell. Often, if you bring in a printed add or they can confirm the price of such a competitor, they will price match, they do want your business, after all.

As far as the decision to own your very own gear, that is one of the best comittments a diver can make towards diving, along with respincibility, accountability and safety. I believe that owning your own gear goes hand in hand with all of those concepts. While some shops and boats may strive for quality rental gear, these items get beat up, frequently. They will never get the attention to maintenance that they deserve. Also, owning your own gear gives you a familiarity with YOUR stuff. With use, you'll understand it's performance, become comfortable and confident in using it. You'll KNOW when it's been serviced last, you'll know that if it's BEEN abused, it rests upon you, solely. There's no guessing here. I believe that any diver after completing thier initial certification, has a responcibility to own and care for thier own gear if they plan on continuing to dive. Your decision to do just that is a smart one.

In reference to the items mentioned, Costco isn't likely to allow you to "try" these items. While it is true, there are some dive shops that won't either, there are those that do. There is no better way to experience the benefits of a given make with it's features than to put it to the test and see if it's for you. Comfort and servicability being very important. Durability is also equally critical. While price must maintain standards with the wallet and missus (If the latter applies to you), a deal may not be that at all, in the end.

First of all let me start off by stating that Pasley is a Scottish name with a proud Scottish tradition. I AM NOT CHEAP! I am just frugal, ok, so maybe very frugal, but not cheap.

I use to shop at COSTCO (now at Sams Club) for many things and did look at their dive gear. IMHO it was strickly dime store stuff.

I would NOT buy my dive gear at COSTCO. I would buy it at my LDS, including Sports Chalet (My LDS). You get what you pay for, and the knowledge and support of the store is part of that. Besides, COSTCO is not going to do your air fill are they? Who will service your equpment?

Hi there,

I too have seen dive stuff in Costco in the GTA. My understanding is they use Waterline Sports for their stuff but that may have only been the one time. Perhaps they use other LDSs for stuff too. I don't know if you've been to Waterline. It's on Avenue Rd but I found them quite expensive in there.

I've purchased a shortie from Costco but I would be a bit apprehensive about purchasing equipment that requires regular service maintenance from them.

Fire off a quick e-mail to Divesource Scuba in Whitby for some prices of what you are looking for. It may seem like a bit of a drive but I've sent other people to see Brian Pallock (owner) and they've not been disappointed. Very knowledgable staff and not pushy either. There is a webpage www.divesource.com for more info.

Personally, I've got almost all my equipment from Brian.

Maybe you could find out which store is providing the stuff to Costco if you're set on them.

Diverlady

Thanks for the info so far,

Diverlady is correct, Waterline is the shop supplying to Costco,
In fact when I visited they had an employee at the Costco.
I'm going to email Waterline to find out exactly how this works, But I dropped by the store and they said they would assemble the gear.

Thanks for the link,
They had some interesting packages on their site.
In fact, I may return my Costco shortie and go out there to pick up a Bare shortie. I find that the zipper on the back of the Body Glove doesn't go low enough to get around my shoulders without breaking a sweat.
I will definately email Brian to and visit to check things out.
I will check out a few other shops as well,
many be Aqaurius and Scuba 2000.
If anyone has any other suggestions or links please post them.

I understand what you are saying about the LDS,
but, if the prices Costco offer can get the casual diver like myself geared up,
I believe that the LDS will benefit in the long run.
I will not invest in a tank since all my diving up to now has been in warm waters.
I'm looking for gear so that I don't have to rely on equipment that has been punished by who knows when I travel south.
The LDS will benefit down the road when I bring gear in for maintence or when I decide to upgrade.
Heck, after a visit to the local LDS, I've decided to dive in the St. Lawerence this summer, so without having even spent a cent at Costco, the local LDS has started to benefit.

I know this is an old thread. But which Costco's did you see Dive Gear at? I wouldnt mind checking out the suits and maybe accessories.

I'm in Mississauga

Back
Top Bottom