Adding an SK7 compass to Cobra 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm interested in the Cobra 3 but don't like the digital compass and was wondering if there was any problem with interference of the digital compass with an added SK7 analog. One reviewer mentioned some interference and I was wondering if someone could corroborate or have some knowledge on this.

Also, aside from the compass what are the differences between the Cobra and Cobra 3.

Adam

The SK7 is probably the best compass for scuba diving. Using a DSS mount and putting it on your left wrist would be even better. Especially since here in California you need to use it often.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=47

Except once I have a console it makes more sense to keep the compass there. After all the whole benefit of a console is that all the gauges are in one place.

Adam

You will have no problems physically adding the compass to the console. As for the interference - there may be some but probably not much.

Except once I have a console it makes more sense to keep the compass there. After all the whole benefit of a console is that all the gauges are in one place.

Adam

A lot of people find it useful to swim while looking at their compass. Having it on the arm makes it easier to navigate this way since you can see where you're swimming w/o having to look down at your gauges.

I was hoping to get feedback from someone who added the analog compass to the Cobra 3?

Also how does the display compare between the Cobra and Cobra 3 in terms of readability.

Adam

I'm interested in the Cobra 3 but don't like the digital compass and was wondering if there was any problem with interference of the digital compass with an added SK7 analog. One reviewer mentioned some interference and I was wondering if someone could corroborate or have some knowledge on this.

Also, aside from the compass what are the differences between the Cobra and Cobra 3.

Adam

Back to the original question. I have added the SK7 to my Cobra 2 and have no problem with interference and would expect none form adding it to a Cobra 3. The only reason I added it to the Cobra 2 was the limited tilt parameters and display time of the compass on the Cobra 2, those issues have been addressed in the Cobra 3 compass so I would probably not add it to the new one myself. Once I got used to the digital compass I really found it to be very accurate for our limited vis diving locally.
As far as the difference between the Cobra and Cobra 3, well they are night and day as far as functions, menu use, algorithims and the display is somewhat similar. They are really two different computer programs and menus IMHO. The new computers are ar superior to the previos models. What works best for you only you can decide that. Hope that helps with your question.

I have a Cobra original with the Sk7 compass. This setup works great. As for compass interference on a Cobra 3 you'd have to check with Suunto to see what they say. The difference in the newer model is mostly in the display as they have switched to a matrix type display that allows more variety of info display. Some numbers now appear larger and there are a few new display options.

Sorry Willar but the difference between a Cobra and a Cobra 3 is a lot more than the display. The menu systems operate completly different, as well as the algoritims that are available.

Sorry Willar but the difference between a Cobra and a Cobra 3 is a lot more than the display. The menu systems operate completly different, as well as the algoritims that are available.

Yup. Deep stop, 2 nitrox mixes, digital compass, and some other stuff, but I'm trying to keep it simple for you. :)

Here's a little more info: SUUNTO Cobra 3 | Scuba Diving Magazine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom