Torpedo Scooter Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krawdady

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with Torpedo Scooters? I am considering a barely used Torpedo 2500 for under $350.00 but I've never used one and I'm not sure of how good they are. I do a lot of diving in Venice for sharks teeth and I though it might be fun to play with both and to cover a large area in one dive. Any thoughts good or bad?

No one? I will say this though, I don't know about Torpedo's Scooters (I haven't tried mine yet) but their customer service depart is outstanding. I sent them an email explaining that I bought one of their used scooters and I had a simple question about it. They replied with detailed instructions of what I should check on it before using it, how to take various pieces apart, proper cleaning and even asked me to provide the serial number and they would tell me when it was produced and how old it is. All of this was insolicited. Then they offered to send me an owners manuel since mine didn't have one. I wish half of the stuff I buy new and that is still under warranty was backed up like this is.

In 15 years, I have never seen one in the water.

I have heard that they're rather underpowered. This is second hand so it may or may not be true. Let us know how it works out for you.

[user]Shaka+Doug[/user] uses them in his business afaik.

I have heard that they're rather underpowered. This is second hand so it may or may not be true. Let us know how it works out for you.

I've read that too. It doesn't bother me too much though. I'll mostly be using it to find sharks teeth off of Venice so I wouldn't want to zip around too fast or I might miss something good. If I'm shore diving it will get me the out to the good stuff without burning a lot of air and without a long surface swim. The Torpedo 2500 is supposed have a speed of 2.5 MPH. If the water warms up enough to use it I'll post a review.

Krawdady, it seems like you have reasonable expectations unlike some who are dying to believe that their $600 scooter is going to be as fast as a cuda.

Really, it would be nice to see some scooters on the market that are inexpensive but durable. High performance comes at a pretty high price and most people understand that. If it's not prone to flooding and has a reasonable burn time I'd consider it a success. Please do share your experience with it.

Yeah I see that they are about $900.00 new and I ended up getting it for $250.00. The burn time isn't great (55 min) but I did get 3 batteries with it. It will probably be fun to play with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom