Spyder/Stinger/Mosquito

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luke.k1983

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

does anyone know the difference between these? Ive tried to search the net and havent found anything rather than Spyder is mid-90s model, Stinger 2000. i could see some changes in the design but that was about all.

Cheers, Luke

the spyder and stinger are almost identical except for the fact the spyder does not support Nitrox
the mosquto have Nitrox and AFAIK has user replaceable battery

The mosquito and stinger are pretty similar in their capabilities. The mosquito was basically the plastic version of the stinger. Mosquito - plastic and you could change the battery. Stinger - Stainless Steel and you have to send it to Suunto to replace the battery.

The Spyder was before my time.

the stinger "looks" was also design as a "regular" wearable everyday watch.

is there any advantage of having steel casing (stinger)? because you cant change battery, its heavier...

It's more robust. The titanium version, perhaps more so, and 30% lighter. As an instructor wearing it all day everyday, carrying tanks etc., I went for the sturdier (& pricier) option.

I beleive the Spyder was superceded by the Stinger, and the Mosquito has been taken out of production too. The 'D' range is the latest from Suunto.

thanks everyone. I dont really wanna pay for all those D6 series as that is very expensive. In the end I ended up with Mosquito, even though its a little bigger it can still be worn. I dont wear it all the time as i prefer wearing metal watch, but i think they are still ok to be worn every day. Does the job for me when i go diving and find it better than those bottom timers. Other advantage i found is that it has user-changeable battery. Too bad that I cannot erase its memory.

Luke

Too bad that I cannot erase its memory.
@Luke.k1983: Actually, you can erase the memory on a Mosquito. However, it's not a built-in function. In order to do this, you'll need a Suunto PC download cable (the one that's designed for the Mosquito) with appropriate software driver (if necessary) and a PC able to run the free software called Suunto Eraser. I haven't used this particular Suunto tool, but I have used others posted on the website, and they all worked.

It sounds like you bought the Mosquito used. Probably not worth the effort to erase the dives. I would just live with it...but if having someone else's dives on the computer bothers you, then you should give Suunto Eraser a shot.

Good luck!

Oh, thanks! It doesn't bother me its just that you can have your own history in the watch, thats the only reason :) Will have a look if I can find the cable and give it a try. At least we will know if it works...if i can find the cable

L.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom