Split fin versus Force Fin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill1946

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm ready to give up my 10 year old Blades. Who can advise me on split fins versus the costly Force fin?

The Force fin story is compelling, but the pricing is heart stopping. I can get Mares split fins on sale for around $80 versus $239 for the Force.

Thanks.

Go to the photo posted above and see my comment.

SeaRat

Who can advise me on split fins versus the costly Force fin?

Wish I could help you but I can't. I can tell you I have a pair of Twin Jets from Scubapro and I like them but I recently bought a pair of the Scubapro Seawing Novas. Of all the fins I have owned over the years, to me, they are the best fin I have ever used but they are not cheap.

I have dove the force fins and Scuba ProTwin Jets. Like the twin Jets a bit better. Apollo Biofins are very nice too. The force fins are easy to kick, but I can go faster with less effort or fight a current better in the Scuba Pros. Got an old set of Blades too. Nice when going with the flow in a current, but not against. Scuba Pro is a move up.

bill1946,

There are many kinds of split fins, some of which are great and some not so good, thus, your question is too broad to be able to give a good answer. Also, Force Fins seem to have more of a learning curve than other fins. Some divers love Force Fins and some don't, so the Force Fin side of your question also is difficult to answer.

I have been involved with tests (as a fin-testing team member with Scuba Lab plus running independent tests on my own) and have now personally tested over 70 different kinds, including many different split fins and also a couple models of Force Fins. (I'm personally one of the few in the middle on Force Fins, neither strongly for nor against them.)

For a link to many of my reports on fins, see:
Fins -- Main Page; see particularly the synopsis which includes the Force Fins I tested plus a number of different split fins.

DSAO -- and happy finning with whatever you come up with
Jim

Why are you giving up the Blades? What is it you're looking for?

Go to the photo posted above and see my comment.

SeaRat

I appreciate the insight but it goes up even less now as I shortened the fins back to the next solid rib. I liked the original Blades but they were causing cramping problems. The split relieved that problem and left me with fins that were still quite effective with frog kicks and helicopter turns. They don't do to bad backing up either but I am probably the limitation there.

I knew lengthening the split was always an option so I purposely started on the short side. And I have never had reason to lengthen it.

awap,

That's fine, you have a real hybrid. It seems to do what you want, and that's what these mods are all about.

My comment was simply to point out the option of getting the most out of the split.

SeaRat

Back
Top Bottom