Every damn time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So every single time the diving day is over, usually as soon as I'm in the car on the way home, I'm convinced I have the bends.

A little soreness in the small of my back is obviously not from lugging 50lbs of gear up and down a hill all morning, or from being in an unnatural position in an unnatural environment for hours. It's obviously the bends.

Oh, my wrist is a little sore. It was only a tiny bit sore this morning, but now it's really sore after diving. Uh, oh. Bends.

What's this itchy rash in the crook of my elbow? Excema? Poison Ivy? Being in a wetsuit that I didn't shampoo last week? No, probably bends.

In each case I wait nervously to see if it gets any worse and, strangely, while I'm waiting, each time it has gone away.

I'm only now hedging up to 20 dives... please tell me this hypochondria will go the hell away.

Live dangerously.

Never show any sign of fear.

:D

Plan your dives conservatively and attempt, so far as possible, to dive your plan. Use tables and a bottom timer. Don't push the limits and don't rely on a dive computer. Make it a habit to work out as regularly as you can. You'll be fine. It takes some getting used to.

I guess I should have said before...

I've been diving pretty conservative plans (as I'm still green) and even have my Suunto set to a little more conservative than normal.

The only legitamate risk I've encountered is slightly fast ascents (I've been tinkering with my weighting).

Nonetheless, everyday when I get home this is the conversation as soon as I walk through the door.

ME: I've got the Bends.
My Girlfriend: Again?

Hah funny thing is you're not the only one. Same thing happens to me. Well for a while anyways I'm over it now. I still remember on my first OW dive, the drive home gave me this terrible headache and I was totally freaking out. Until I realized I had gotten a bit drunk the night before :wink: Now normally I wouldn't do that but my instructor called me up last minute and said we're going out. When I told him the situation, he's like ok well I'll keep an eye on you we'll be down no deeper than 20 for no more than 20 minutes so I'm freaking out and he's like well if you don't want to then just go on the next one in a month. When he said in a month it's like ok what time do we leave hehe.

the funny thing to me is that the "Uh-Oh I have the bends" disease is very contagious with the other people in the car when we drive home. I think that we are just more in-tune with our bodies after a dive and we are looking for any clue of the bends.

saying once bubbled...
...The only legitamate risk I've encountered is slightly fast ascents (I've been tinkering with my weighting)...

I'm not sure about what's legit :confused:

How slightly fast? The slower, the better.

first, let me say, I am no expert as to what the feeling of the bends is like 'cuz I ain't been bent yet....

Sooo...a couple things...if you feel like you're ascending too fast, get yourself an up-line...then use it as needed....try to abstain from using it, but it is there "just in case". Try to slow your ascent rate a little more each dive...why such a rush to get back to the sruface anyway?

Second, make sure your wetsuit is clean....even if it is, you can still pick up stuff from a quarry that is in the midwest (I got some goofy rash about a year ago....annoying as hell).

Third...be sure to be plenty hydrated before you dive, and after you dive..this can make a huge difference in the way you feel (just ask my brother)

saying once bubbled...
I'm only now hedging up to 20 dives... please tell me this hypochondria will go the hell away.

In the diving community, where getting bent is a stigma, I think it's good that you are concious of it.

I've heard too many stories of too many divers who kept themselves in denial about being bent until dealing with it was unavoidable.

While I don't think it's healthy to dwell on it on excessively, it is good that you are aware of it enough to monitor yourself for signs of DCS after diving. This would be especially true after any dive that pushed the limits in anyway.

The fact that you analyze every little symptom now may be to your benefit later, as you will more readily recognize "familiar" feelings after diving and be able to differentiate them from the actual signs of DCS, if it should ever happen to you.

In the meanwhile, dive safely within the limits of your training and experience, and enjoy. If you follow the rules you should have very little to worry about.

The part that scares me about this is the common throwing about of the phrase "I'm bent" which may detract from proper emergency response when someone truly is.

That being said, I've often noticed little symptoms within myself that are a little different after a dive. Usually I just say "I'm feeling pretty worn out after that dive / why don't you keep an eye on me just in case / this is what I did for a profile" to my girlfriend. She's a diver as well so she understands.

I think every one of us has asked ourselves "hey, what's going on inside my body!??!" at least a couple of times.

The suggestion of hydrating before every dive is an excellent one. I drive about an hour to the dive site and my personal rule is that I drink a quart of water while I'm loading my gear, and a second quart on the way to the site. And before anyone starts, I use a dry suit and no, I don't have a valve installed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom