I Give Up: Suunto Gekko or Nitek Duo - $250

Suunto Gekko or Nitek Duo or [Other Comp Under $300]

• Suunto Gekko

Votes: 21 43.8%
  • Nitek Duo (Zeagle N2ition, Tusa Hunter, Seiko Etc)

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakpix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Buying my first computer...

So I've been lurking around on these boards for four months now, trying to find a bargain deal on a used computer. Something with gauge mode & gas switching; that fits into a DSS boot. I GIVE UP! Seems like every time something like that appears, it either A) sells almost instantly, within an hour of being posted or B) the seller is asking way too much ... thinking a used computer is worth 80-90% of current resale value.

Now, I have a dive shop class coming up in Lake Travis, TX. I have an SPG. I DO NOT have a depth gauge, compass, or computer. My budget is $300 total, including shipping and taxes. Two options come to mind. I can get my hands on either a Suunto Gekko, or Nitek Duo for $250, under full warranty from an authorized LDS. And I could really use some help :(

-Some Things to Consider-

> Almost EVERYone Dives Suunto ... makes finding an instabuddy easier to dive the same profile

> The download cable for the Gekko is $50, versus $200 for the Nitek

> The Gekko doesn't do gauge mode $ gas switching

> Some versions of the Nitek have had glitches, or problems flooding (from posts on sb)

Aaaaaaaanywho. I'll value any opinion on the subject :D

you can probably find the suunto vyper used for your price range (i got one for about $200). the vyper does have gauge mode.

Suunto software infinitely better. Nitek Duo has gas switching and a better algorithm. I own both(actually Gekko and N2ition), and like both, but for different reasons. Overall, I like the performance of the N2ition better, but the software blows.

I'm talking about liveaboards and vacation divers. And suunto has the largest share of the computer market right now .. for better or worse: makes finding a buddy easier and simpler. That said, please let me know what your experience has been in buddying up with a nitek!

I'm talking about liveaboards and vacation divers. And suunto has the largest share of the computer market right now .. for better or worse: makes finding a buddy easier and simpler. That said, please let me know what your experience has been in buddying up with a nitek!
Please explain to me how diving a Suunto will make it easier to find a buddy.

I dive a Suunto computer and have never had any problems buddying up with other divers who use computers programmed with different deco algorithms. Differences in NDLs can be discussed during pre-dive planning and communicated during the dive. I buddy up all the time with a diver who uses a Sherwood Wisdom. No big deal. The arrangement works.

If I were to compile a list of the qualities I look for in a dive buddy, I don't think that "uses same brand dive computer" would even make the list.

Buying my first computer...

So I've been lurking around on these boards for four months now, trying to find a bargain deal on a used computer. Something with gauge mode & gas switching; that fits into a DSS boot. I GIVE UP! Seems like every time something like that appears, it either A) sells almost instantly, within an hour of being posted or B) the seller is asking way too much ... thinking a used computer is worth 80-90% of current resale value.

Now, I have a dive shop class coming up in Lake Travis, TX. I have an SPG. I DO NOT have a depth gauge, compass, or computer. My budget is $300 total, including shipping and taxes. Two options come to mind. I can get my hands on either a Suunto Gekko, or Nitek Duo for $250, under full warranty from an authorized LDS. And I could really use some help :(

-Some Things to Consider-

> Almost EVERYone Dives Suunto ... makes finding an instabuddy easier to dive the same profile

> The download cable for the Gekko is $50, versus $200 for the Nitek

> The Gekko doesn't do gauge mode $ gas switching

> Some versions of the Nitek have had glitches, or problems flooding (from posts on sb)

Aaaaaaaanywho. I'll value any opinion on the subject :D

Just to confuse you more, you can buy an Uwatec Aladin Tec2G from LeisurePro for $300 new plus shipping, and it has two gas switching, a backlight that can be set to push-on/push-off, and an excellent gauge mode that includes resettable average depth and stopwatch, and DSS makes a boot for it. Warrantied by LP, but any computer you buy is just going to be sent back to the manufacturer for service or replacement anyway.

I'd bite the bullet and spend a little bit more, for a computer that will do everything you want, has good software and a cheap download connection. Oh, and the Gekko lacks a backlight as well as a gauge mode, so if you're really thinking of going tech and gauge mode's important, the Nitek, Tec 2G or a Vyper or higher end Suunto is the way to go.

Guy

I'm diving inside my NDLs and at relatively shallow depths 60 - 70 fsw, so I've never actually cared what computer my buddy had. No one's asked me either. AFA liveaboards go, I don't know whether the different algorithms for handling N2 loading from so many repetitive dives would make much difference.

Maybe someone with actual knowledge could address that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom