Twin jets or Apollos??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coralcruiser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been diving atomic splits almost since they came out and really love them!! Only issue is that I that since those fins are positive, my feet are floaty and that is not good when shooting super macro! :blinking:

I have been looking at apollos and twin jets (the older style not the new ones that are hybrid rubber and composite material).

I tried them on and both offer a good fit.... would make like too easy if one brand was a definitely better fit than the other brand!

I even weighed them thinking that if one was significantly heavier that would help make my choice easier... all my diving involves flying outside the US so weight is important... however the difference was negligible. :depressed:

One of my lds is giving me a smoking deal on a pair of white twin jets.... they only have 1 pair left and it's my size.... but I have found another store that will give me an awesome deal on apollos too so getter a better deal on one over the other doesn't work for making a decision either.

So... if any of you have tried both out, would love to hear your opinions.

I find that what helps when shooting macro is being able to execute fine positioning maneuvers with the fin. I have yet to find split fins which allow me to back kick and frog kick with the same efficiency that certain blade fins allow. I will say that my split fins propel me faster through the water...but that's usually not the primary consideration with UW photography.

Will either LDS allow you to try the fins out before you purchase them?
The Apollo Biofins seem to be well liked. I believe that there are certain models which are negatively buoyant. I'd give those a whirl.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful...

I find that what helps when shooting macro is being able to execute fine positioning maneuvers with the fin. I have yet to find split fins which allow me to back kick and frog kick with the same efficiency that certain blade fins allow. I will say that my split fins propel me faster through the water...but that's usually not the primary consideration with UW photography.

The Apollo Biofins seem to be well liked. I believe that there are certain models which are negatively buoyant. I'd give those a whirl.

Actually, both are negatively bouyant. The stores that will give me good pricing don't have pools at their locations.

I have no problem getting into the position I want for the shot... but with the super macro, even the slightest movement will ruin the focus. I figured that if my feet don't float up, my position will be better stabilized. :)

Actually, both are negatively bouyant. The stores that will give me good pricing don't have pools at their locations.

I have no problem getting into the position I want for the shot... but with the super macro, even the slightest movement will ruin the focus. I figured that if my feet don't float up, my position will be better stabilized. :)

The all natural rubber bio-fins are negatively buoyant. They stay submerged. If your feet do not float up your position will be better stabilized.

Hope you can try before you buy.

My apology to the OP for hi-jacking his thread. But I just see an opportunity to jump in and ask this question.

I am too looking for a pair of fins for UW photo works. I have narrowed down my choice to a Japanese brand Gull who makes some excellent full foot fins. The particular model I am looking at is the Warp.
229x.jpg

They have 4 degree of hardness. For fine detail control of movement such as UW macro photography, do you choose the hardest one or softest one? Unfortunately I can't test them out before I buy. I have to get them online.

you need to get over the positive and negatively bouyant thing, go measure the fins sometime.

yes, Apollo's are negative, according to my scale they are a whole 6 oz negative per pair. Give me a break, your booties are more positive each!

now if you add those stainless spring straps they become really negative, but then pretty much any fin will, I am not sure by how much as I don't have any.

if you have floaty feet you have a much bigger issue of trim, take a look at where your weight is distributed about your body, move your tank in your BC or even try a different tank, try a weighted tank boot, try an old fashioned weight belt that sets lower than your integrated weights. 6oz on your fins is not the solution to not fixing the real source of the issue

I have used and own both . My Apollo fins are the XT series that are a little stiffer and provide extra thrust . They work . The Twin Jets are easier to kick with less results . Just for the record , I own and use old school Jet Fins , I love em all so I do not fit in on Split vs Paddle debates .

Apollo fins are the best I have tried. They are powerful and very comfortable. The foot pocket gives me enough space for my DUI rock boots. Great with spring straps.

Here is what I like about my TJs that nobody has ever mentioned:

During the first 25 ft of my descent, I am vertical and trying to get my ears cleared.

With the TJs, I don't have to fight my fins. The vents just in front of the foot pocket allow water to flow thru and it doesn't take much effort to keep my legs in the vertical position.

If I descend a bit too fast, just a couple of kicks sends me back up a couple of feet allowing my ears a bit more time to equalize.

Previously, I dove with blades and on every dive it was a foot wrestle with my fins trying to keep them under me during the initial descent.

On the few occasions when I have needed a burst of speed like trying to catch the hang bar on a liveaboard that is swinging wildly on the mooring or in current, the TJs have given me everything I have needed in terms of speed and acceleration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom