cleaning a new mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The masks that I use for diving were originally my snorkeling masks - I have had them for years and never did "clean" them before I began to use them.

I am thinking about buying an Atomic Aquatics Frameless mask. I heard something about cleaning the inner surface of a mask with an old toothbrush and toothpaste. Can anyone confirm this? It is necessary? Why?

Thanks

There is a greasy film left from the manufacturing process and it tends to promote fogging inside the mask.

A means to remove said film is to rub the glass with a mild abrasive such as what is found in toothpaste. No need to use a brush, your fingers do a better job.

Some people also use the flame from a lighter passed carefully over the glass. I tried that method myself and saw a previously invisible film start to toast and peel off the glass. This after about ten dives.

You can start with tooth paste.

Good diving.

Bonjour, Belmont,

What is with FQAS? Can I really not dive in Quebec without getting a special permit? Is this enforced? What are the penalties?

A bientot.

I find the 'burn it off' method to be most effective.

I burn my masks with a lighter. After burning it I then wash it in hot water and Dawn dish soap.

As to what sort of "film" is on the glass, frankly I think that is all BS. The glass is contaminated with whatever it was laying about near, often silicones, oils from handling, whatever. Periodically I clean the mask again, usually about once per season, I burn and wash because the mask will slowly accumulate another "film" of whatever it is that gets on the lens.

N

Bonjour Petryk,

Let me put things in perspective:

The FQAS was created after a Coroner's special inquest was made in the deaths of many divers.

These deaths occured after divers certified in the warm clear waters of the Carribean died in the cold dark waters of Quebec. It was evident their training lacked in the particularities of the northern environment.

Acknowledging this, the government asked the scuba industry to prepare a special curiculum.
Every diver learning to dive in Quebec receives this particular training and gets the certification.

My dauther, for her open water cert, had to wear a 14 mm wet suit (7/7) and three finger mitts.

The dives were held in a quarry with water temp of 40 degrees at 25 feet . (In June)

So, to dive in Quebec , you ase supposed to have this certification, somewhat like you need a cave cert to dive at Ginnie Springs.

Now for enforcement: the most I have heard is that an inspector has been around a few popular dive sites, once or twice a year, to give information. No one, to my knowledge, has had any fine imposed because he did not have the certification.

I heard that the card was required by a fill station in the lower St-Lawrence region. Probably because that place has pretty advanced diving and many have died there.

As for my own experience: I received my first training in Jamaica. Back home I wanted to keep on diving and I contacted a local instructor (He teaches the DIR fundamentals but he is not from GUE or FQAS.)

All my training dives were done in the St-Lawrence river in the Thousand Island region of Ontario. I don't have a FQAS cert. I have never had problems getting fills in Montreal and no one asked me for the card in Quebec.

I understand that divers from outside the province simply have to show their ID and confirm they are familiar with cold water, low vis diving.

I hope this helps.

PS: I am not interested in spending the $125.00 needed for my FQAS cert upgrade (It costs only about $15.00 when you take an open water course)

I burn my masks with a lighter. After burning it I then wash it in hot water and Dawn dish soap.

As to what sort of "film" is on the glass, frankly I think that is all BS. The glass is contaminated with whatever it was laying about near, often silicones, oils from handling, whatever. Periodically I clean the mask again, usually about once per season, I burn and wash because the mask will slowly accumulate another "film" of whatever it is that gets on the lens.

N

So, your "another film" is not of the BS kind:confused:

There is a greasy film left from the manufacturing process and it tends to promote fogging inside the mask.

A means to remove said film is to rub the glass with a mild abrasive such as what is found in toothpaste. No need to use a brush, your fingers do a better job.

Some people also use the flame from a lighter passed carefully over the glass. I tried that method myself and saw a previously invisible film start to toast and peel off the glass. This after about ten dives.

You can start with tooth paste.

Good diving.

Don't use regular toothpaste. Only use a gel type. The regular white toothpaste has an abrasive that will scratch the lens. BTW Why isn't it called teethpaste:confused:

Here's what I do. make a paste of dishwahing detergent and baking soda. the dishwashing detergent cuts the oil and the baking soda is a mild abrasive. Just enough water to make it flow, and scrub with fingers. rinse and repeat. I don't trust myself with a lighter and rubber parts.

Don't use regular toothpaste. Only use a gel type. The regular white toothpaste has an abrasive that will scratch the lens. BTW Why isn't it called teethpaste:confused:

What you say is right for plastic.

For glass it's not true

The abrasives in regular toothpaste are softer than glass hence cannot cause any damage. Just think what kind job this would do on tooth enamel brushed for many years if it were that abrasive.

Gel type just does'nt cut it.

Brewski's mix sounds interesting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom