Diving Barcelona/Lestartit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all.
I´m going to barcelona in June and want to go diving in L´estartit, costa brava, north of barcelona, since i´ve heard this is the best place to dive around Barcelona. Does anyone have any experience diving there? I don´t have a diving buddy - can anyone recommend a diving company to go with?
THANKS! Am really looking forward to going and diving in warmer waters than Iceland :)

What you heard is true. The most famous dive sites in that area you will find in L´Estartit. For diving in the mediteranean the dive sites there are great. This results from that they have a marine conservation area for meanwhile nearly 40 years.

As a dive center I can recommend you the Unisub Centre. It is existing for about 45 years. The owners are British.

Diving center best website and dives at Estartit , Medes Islands home , diving center, unisub dive resort, l?estartit + illes medes + costa brava + barcelona + spain

And I can understand you very well. The temperatures are amongst the reasons why I moved permanently from Germany to Turkey.:D

Hi IcelandDiver,

The dives out of L'Estartit to the Medas Islands are great, but I would actually recommend dives a little to the south of L'Estartit. There are 3 sites in particular that I think are fantastic.

Ullastres 3(there is also Ullastres 1 & 2) is basically an underwater mountain absolutely covered in Gorgonias. Lots of grouper and other fish, one of my favourite dive sites in the world! Begur dive (Inmersiones Begur Dive) heads there as well as to;

Canons de Tamariu which are a series of canyons filled with Gorgonias. The few dives I have done there, there has been a big current so we basically just floated in the water protected from the current by some rocks and watched the big fish come out to play (Grouper, Barracuda etc). Both Ullastres and Canons also have little critters like nudibranchs as well.

The other site I recommend is Boreas which is a wreck accessed most easily from Palamos. I have only dived with Palamos dive centre there (http://www.palamosdivecenter.es/), and they were great. Smallish but comfortable boat. The wreck is in about 30 metres of water so within recreational limits. I really enjoyed this dive! Different from the Medas (not saying the Medas is bad, the Medas is anything but, love diving there as well!).

Any other questions, just let me know!

Thanks for these informations.
I am planning to setup a dive WE trip to Barcelona in June. I may ask more details.

Back
Top Bottom