USD Rockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just bought a pair of "Jet fins" that, upon arrival turn out to be USD Rockets. From reading the archives, it seems that they are far inferior to the SP Jets. I was mostly looking for something different to my Mares Avantis, which I dislike, so I'm not all that bummed, but I'm wondering if I can infer anything from these about the Jets. In other words, if I like these, should I look for Jets because I'll like them more? If I don't like these, should I look for Jets because they're different, or go look for some fancy split fin because I likely won't like the Jet either?

I also have pair of AMF SwimMaster Mark X Minis that I can't find any information on. They're in bad condition and don't fit me, so I figured I'd pitch em, but I was curious about them anyway.

I have used the USD Rockets, the SP Jets, NEMROD Venturis, the Avanti, Force Fins and others; and currently have 4 different types that I use for diffent diving conditions.
Each person has a different kick and style, so their comfort level and satisfaction with any given fin will vary with: what kind of diving they are doing, how strong their legs are, water conditions, etc, etc.
My best advice is try them in the water in different conditions and see how you like them. If you don't or they don't suit your style, THEN look for another type of fin.
IMHO

Flipper Goodness Scale:

(Worserer) Rocket Fins 0 <----------------everything else----------------> 10 Jet Fins (Gooderer)

N

Hi there Aquaregia, I pretty much agree with carlcz. I'd like to ask if you have dove with or are anywhere near other NoCal divers in Monterey? Maybe you'll come across others who have different types of extra fins they may loan you to try out. This way you can get a handle on which fins you'll want to invest in for your diving.

Unfortunately I haven't met any of the Monterey crowd. I dive with the university rec club, and I've just finished piecing my own gear together (most of us use the uni stuff because it's free rental). I'd love to meet some of the locals though.

Flipper Goodness Scale:

(Worserer) Rocket Fins 0 <----------------everything else----------------> 10 Jet Fins (Gooderer)

N

So I should find some of those split fins that turn into shoes back on land? Saw a guy with those the other day -- I thought his fins were both snapped at first. :)

Unfortunately I haven't met any of the Monterey crowd. I dive with the university rec club, and I've just finished piecing my own gear together (most of us use the uni stuff because it's free rental). I'd love to meet some of the locals though.
Check it out: Poll: Summer meet and greet I think they get together for some dives with a meal at the SI or after the dives... Don't quote me on that, I've never been. I strongly suggest you try some fins out before you buy.
So I should find some of those split fins that turn into shoes back on land? Saw a guy with those the other day -- I thought his fins were both snapped at first. :)
Not if you want to look like a goof....ijs (I'm just saying) :) I can't advise you on the net on which fins to purchase. It truly is a personal choice and there are different types to the kind of diving you do, but I can tell you I've been diving SP jets for the past two years now and like them a lot. Spring straps ROCK. Those will probably be something you'll want to add to any fins you decide to get.

Hehe thanks for the input. I'm currently in grad school, so my purchases are limited to "things that are $20 on craigslist". I'm hoping that by the time I (eventually) graduate, I'll have an idea of what sort of stuff I want to spend real dollars on.

Flipper Goodness Scale:

N

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom