Oceanic VT3 - Opinions and experiences??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BB1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I have been looking at getting my first dive computer and have been narrowing in on the Oceanic VT3 (Aeris elite T3).

Anyone out there got one of these and can let me know your opinions please.

Want to know whats good and whats bad about them!

Last edited:
The VT3 has been a fine computer for recreational diving for me. I like the interface, its easy to program gases and the trasmitter reception has been very reliable. It is so good that I use the VT3 on my scooter handle as my depth gauge as the transmitter has no problem connecting despite the distance the scooter gets from my 1st stage.

The only bad issue IMO with the VT3 is how it handles a decompression dive. Not that its a decompression computer per se but none the less it handles deco badly. The VT3 stacks any deco time up at 10ft. In gauge mode obviously this isnt a problem.

Not a bad dive computer at all.

That's exactly the kind of thing I wanted to find out!

Shame that they put together such a nice looking computer then go and do let it down with the deco handling.

It sounds like bend then mend same as Suunto do.

Almost all my diving will be within recreational limits so that may not be a deal breaker really.

Thanks for the feedback

The difference is with a suunto is that if you add stops on your own at say every 3m for a minute or so then the total decompression time at the 6m or 3m (from surface) point is recalculated and decreased. I have run deep dives with the suunto alongside an X1 following a vplanner profile and for a heliair based gas mix the suunto cleared within minutes of the total profile. I had the VT3 on the same dives and it stacked all of the decompression and gave literally only several minutes of credit off the total decompression time. Needless to say the VT3 was "bent" and excused itself from further dives for two days.

Hi,

I have been looking at getting my first dive computer and have been narrowing in on the Oceanic VT3 (Aeris elite T3).

Anyone out there got one of these and can let me know your opinions please.

Want to know whats good and whats bad about them!

I dig it. Mine's going on a year and a half now without an issue. It's on the second battery (manual calls for once a year). The battery compartment was leaked when the replacement got put in, but that wasn't the computer's fault but the shop's fault for not properly installing the battery cover.

PS The VT3/Elite T3 is strictly a recreational computer and it says so in bold prints. It can handle deco, albeit not very well. Deco divers need to get and use technical computers.

I've had mine since 2007, I think. It's been a decent computer, although I really only use it now to log my dive profiles. A few things I find irritating - It doesn't stay in gauge mode and it won't stay set to 32%, you have to keep resetting these. The computer software for downloading your dives is very poor, in my opinion. I think this is a common complaint.

I haven't used computers from other manufacturers, so I don't know how it compares. Customer service has varied. Great service from Doug Krause, less so when emailing customer service.

John

i have had mine for four years. i am about to change the batteries for the first time. i am very happy with the computer and even more ecstatic since tobin designed a bungee mount for it ...
it is a terrific computer for recreational diving. however, if you are considering it, why not look for a data mask? same software ....

just a thought

also, if you are going to move into deco (tough not to) you'll need something a bit more tech oriented ...

i love mine

perhaps a negative:
when scootering, if i am using the computer on the same arm as i am controlling scooter with, it will not maintain steady contact with transmitter. it usually has no problem when i am in a streamlined position with my arms out in front however

First computer I ever bought. Love it. I don't do deco dives. Never lost signal. Like the fact that it comes with the download cable and software and really don't mind the software. It's a helluva lot better than it used to be. Have the tobin boot too, love that as well. Had I to do it over again I would. I replace batteries pretty much annually so I don't have to thumb a dive.

I have about 300+ dives on my VT3 and haven't had any real problems. I've lost signal from the transmitter that I couldn't get back only once. And that was when I was diving directly on top of a electrical line that runs from the mainland to power an island. Other than that, the display is well laid out with all of the info a diver would need. The instruction manual is a bit confusing at first, but once you understand the way the menus are set-up it's pretty easy to change things like gas mix. Using the "buddy check" and "tank 2, 3" feature is a PITA. And when you do get the info it only stays on the screen for a few seconds. So, using it can cause your attention to be focused on it a bit to long and not on the dive. As others have hopefully made abundantly clear, this computer is a recreational, non-decompression dive computer. If you're thinking of using it for deco dives (other than in gauge mode), it's the wrong tool for the job.

Fortunately I've survived quite a number of deco dives with my VT3. It may even be slightly more on the conservative side than some of my buddies' computers, so I don't really get the point.

The VT3 can handle a second (deco) gas of eg 50% O2, and a third deco gas of up to 100% O2. Where but in deco diving would you need that?? I also survived these gases and settings with decos up to about 50 min.

Of course it can be used in deco diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom