Dive job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemed06

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about taking a year off of shool and I'd like to go work in the caymans or cozumel in a dive shop/boat. Does anyone have any ideas to help me out (ie. Where to go, who to call, is it even possible?) Keep in mind that I'm just AOW certified, hoping to get my rescue and DM. cheers

You would likely need a DM certification for most dive jobs in Cayman.

At only an AOW level, there are a few limited opportunities. Atlantis Submarines hires a few divers to perform for their sub and pull some shop duties. A couple of the dive shops hire divers with video skills to film dives and edit vacation videos together.

But most dive shops want a DM certification at a minimum, and most prefer OWSI.

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...

At only an AOW level, there are a few limited opportunities. Atlantis Submarines hires a few divers to perform for their sub and pull some shop duties. A couple of the dive shops hire divers with video skills to film dives and edit vacation videos together.

Drew,what is involved with Atlantis ?

I used to do professional video production(TV station).

Currently MSDT

Stand a chance ? :boom:

Ron

Atlantis hires scuba divers to feed fish, bringing the fish life right up to the windows of their passenger submarine. They dive with dpv's and pull out the food once the sub has set down on a sand patch. Otherwise, they are just there to be a part of the underwater scenery for a couple of the sub dives each day.

Atlantis runs a 48 passenger tourist submarine in Georgetown, usually diving off of Sunset House or Seaview. That is the one that they do the feedings for. They also operate a mini-sub that goes 1000ft down the Cayman wall. (One of the pilots is Courtney Platt, of some u/w photography fame.)

I have no idea how well it pays, but I think you'd probably make a better wage as a dive instructor. Now that's a scary thought!

Try Club Med, the pay isn't that great, but the experience is excellent, and the, um, er, 'fringe benefits' are un-believable!:wink:

Oh, yeah!

On my last trip to Grand Cayman I provided some scenery myself. I was diving off Sunset Reef when the sub came by. A quick bc removal/replave allowed me to pull my wetsuit down far enough to present my as* cheeks for display to all on the sub. I was only about 3 feet from the window. I could hear the laughter and applause right through the steel body of the sub.

No butts about it, it was funny.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom