Want my bottom time back!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulaR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,
I'm mourning the demise of my old Orca Marathon computer especially since I made the mistake of buying a Suunto Gekko to replace it. Recent example: After a first dive (20 minutes at 75 ft then 45-50 ft for 30 minutes) and a surface interval of close to 2 hours, the Gekko had me coming up on a 40-50 ft second dive after only 25 minutes! Any recommendations you all have for another computer, the more "liberal" the better, would be most appreciated. I'm a recreational diver with 20 years of experience and about 600-700 dives, good on air. Thanks so much. Paula

I like my Oceanic Veo 250. Its easy to use with all the features I want from it (nitrox, planning, backlight, programable alarms). It has a more liberal algorithm than the suuntos, and can be made more conservative if desired.

I think mine was around $300, however I can't really remember.

Oceanic Worldwide - Personal Dive Computers - Veo 250

The question is are the "new" models any better for the diver or do they just pose less liability for the manufacturer? ORCA's emulation of the U.S. Navy model seemed to work well for many years, the only complaint I heard was Carl Edmonds' that divers could get bend after a rather long series of very deep bounce dives that the ORCA model permitted.

Hi PaulaR,

Pelagic Pressure Systems DSAT decompression algorthm (Oceanic, Aeris...) is among the most liberal along with the Cochran algorithm. Many of the Oceanic computers now come with dual algorithm, both the liberal DSAT and the more consevative Z+. The Suunto algorithm, on the other hand, is among the most conservative.

I appreciate my bottom time too.

Good diving, Craig

I used to have a gekko before I lost it. I routinely did a first dive to 80+ ft (avg about 55-60ft)for 45-50 minutes and second dive with an average of 40-5o ft for 55-65 minutes without my computer going nuts. Have you checked to make sure you haven't it set it to the most conservative setting? While I will agree suunto are conservative, it shouldn't be that conservative on the most liberal setting.

Sounds very conservative. Check if you have it not set for altitude diving.

Thanks very much, Calgary. A couple of others have suggested the Oceanics as well. I'll look into them.
Paula

Back
Top Bottom