First Computer - advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BuckBuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm looking to buy my first computer and would appreciate some advice.
I take at least one dive vacation a year, with 2 to 3 dives per day - all warm water destinations. I don't need a lot of fancy bells and whistles, and have no plans to move on to anything more challenging than recreational diving.
I do know that I want a wrist computer, but aside from that, I don't know where to start.
I am Nitrox certified, and would like to spend between $200 - $300.
Simple is best.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Take a look at the Suunto Gekko. It's a wrist style computer, or you can put it in a console. It does Air and Nitrox and it's very simple to use.

Plus it's in your price range.

Second vote for the Gekko.......our familly dives two Vypers and two Gekkos....love them.....

Solid, easy to use, conservative computers........

Hope this helps......M

I used the Gekko before moving on to a Cobra. Both are wonderful machines. One thing I would add is to make sure that you get a computer with user replaceable batteries.

Another great choice is the Scubapro Aladdin, simple, easy to use and understand, Nitrox programmable, and falls right within your price range!

If you are doing 2-3 shallow dives per day, why not continue the old fashion way?

I'm looking to buy my first computer and would appreciate some advice.
I take at least one dive vacation a year, with 2 to 3 dives per day - all warm water destinations. I don't need a lot of fancy bells and whistles, and have no plans to move on to anything more challenging than recreational diving.
I do know that I want a wrist computer, but aside from that, I don't know where to start.
I am Nitrox certified, and would like to spend between $200 - $300.
Simple is best.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Suunto Gekko has just been replaced by the Zoop, looks the same to me but yellow, also the Vyper all very easy to use reliable, easy battery change and a no quibble return and replacment by Suunto in the unlikely event it packed up.
On my 3rd now and cant see myself buying any other.

Back
Top Bottom