Carrefour have stopped shark sales!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

samaka

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives

Copied from the latest HEPCA news letter

In the last 24 hours, Carrefour Egypt has issued a statement announcing that they have stopped shark sales!

This result is testament to the many individuals and organizations that added their names in support of this cause and is real evidence that community initiatives addressing the threats to our environment can be successful. This is a small but significant step in the quest to protect our environment, health and prosperity.

The words of the statement issued on behalf of Carrefour Egypt assert the role we can undertake to protect our environment:

"We testify that we are not selling any shark or baby shark in our Stores. Few weeks ago, we - Carrefour Egypt - sold some quantity of shark mistakenly in one of our stores, as some of our employees take it for another kind of Mediterranean fish.

As Carrefour Egypt is highly supporting the environment aspect and respecting the rules of the Environmental Protection and Conservation Associations, we immediately stopped selling the shark and applied all the corrective measurements in all our stores in Egypt.

With this official statement we confirm that we are not selling any shark in our stores anymore."

We thank Carrefour for complying so promptly and thank all those who added their voice to this campaign. HEPCA will continue monitoring any such trade activities in Egypt. We urge the Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries to take serious actions against all illegal shark fishing activities and show more commitment to the protection of these vulnerable species.
HEPCA: Hurghada Environmental Protection and Conservation Association - Caring for the Red Sea

Congrats HEPCA

.......a.......

Copied from the latest HEPCA news letter

In the last 24 hours, Carrefour Egypt has issued a statement announcing that they have stopped shark sales!

This result is testament to the many individuals and organizations that added their names in support of this cause and is real evidence that community initiatives addressing the threats to our environment can be successful. This is a small but significant step in the quest to protect our environment, health and prosperity.

The words of the statement issued on behalf of Carrefour Egypt assert the role we can undertake to protect our environment:

"We testify that we are not selling any shark or baby shark in our Stores. Few weeks ago, we - Carrefour Egypt - sold some quantity of shark mistakenly in one of our stores, as some of our employees take it for another kind of Mediterranean fish.

As Carrefour Egypt is highly supporting the environment aspect and respecting the rules of the Environmental Protection and Conservation Associations, we immediately stopped selling the shark and applied all the corrective measurements in all our stores in Egypt.

With this official statement we confirm that we are not selling any shark in our stores anymore."

We thank Carrefour for complying so promptly and thank all those who added their voice to this campaign. HEPCA will continue monitoring any such trade activities in Egypt. We urge the Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries to take serious actions against all illegal shark fishing activities and show more commitment to the protection of these vulnerable species.
HEPCA: Hurghada Environmental Protection and Conservation Association - Caring for the Red Sea

Congrats HEPCA

.......a.......

Nice one!

Coooooool!

I'm glad that stuff like this makes a difference. I sincerely doubt it was ever a mistake, but if big business knows it's not acceptable, and if a few people can protest and it stops, then all is well and good.

It's a small thing, but it's a great thing. Thanks to HEPCA for pointing it out, and thanks to those of you who made your protest.

Cheers

C.

Coooooool!

I'm glad that stuff like this makes a difference. I sincerely doubt it was ever a mistake, but if big business knows it's not acceptable, and if a few people can protest and it stops, then all is well and good.

It's a small thing, but it's a great thing. Thanks to HEPCA for pointing it out, and thanks to those of you who made your protest.

Cheers

C.

I think we all know that it wasn't a "mistake" I guess if you wanted to be a real hard on you could take them to task but it seems they saw they error of their ways quite quickly. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Now if we could only do the same to Japan and China....

Nice job Crowley

Thanks all for the kudos - but it was HEPCA that sent out the message, and it was one of our office girls that passed the mail to me. I'm just happy to pass that along to anybody else who cares.

At least I know now that something here works - unlike my smegging washing machine! :D

Thanks again to those that signed; we really did make a difference

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom