Logbook data exchange format

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulVDV

New
Reaction score
Dear,

As I'm a not frequent diver, I bought a Suunto Gekko device, without PC download feature. I would however like to enter my dives data into a software (like Jdivelog or similar), hence I will have to create a file manually to be uploaded.

Can anyone direct me to a place where I can find in which format I need to create the file (csv or UDCF) ?

Alternatively, if I can have a sample file (in csv and UDCF, I could analyze the format and replicate with my own data).

Thanks in advance,
-Paul

Rather than directly answer he question you asked, you might be more interested in knowing that the Gekko can be uploaded. See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...lyzers/133089-suunto-gekko-dive-download.html
Note that this thread started in 2006 and the software has had a few twists and turns along the way, so you may need to spend a little time catching up, but there's current activity and lots of people are using this.

And if you have a Mac, it's even easier; DiveLog and MacDive - Download handle the Gekko natively.

Thanks for the info but I'm a bit reluctant to modify the device at this time. Want first to dive a little be more to ensure no problem with my Gekko (still under warranty). But this is definitely something I'll keep in mind for later.

Thanks,
-Paul

Rather than directly answer he question you asked, you might be more interested in knowing that the Gekko can be uploaded. See ...
Note that this thread started in 2006 and the software has had a few twists and turns along the way, so you may need to spend a little time catching up, but there's current activity and lots of people are using this.

And if you have a Mac, it's even easier; DiveLog and MacDive - Download handle the Gekko natively.

Reefduffer,

Thanks for the info but I'm a bit reluctant to modify the device at this time. Want first to dive a little be more to ensure no problem with my Gekko (still under warranty). But this is definitely something I'll keep in mind for later.

It 's however weird that Mac allows native connectivity with the Gekko while a PC first requires a modification from the Gekko !

Thanks,
-Paul

DivingLog,

Thanks for your links to UDCF. Very useful. Would you however have available a sample csv or UDCF file coming from a Gekko (or Vyper), so I can easily duplicate it iwth my own data ?

Thanks in advance,
-Paul

It 's however weird that Mac allows native connectivity with the Gekko while a PC first requires a modification from the Gekko !

There's no weirdness. It's not the PC or Windows that doesn't allow it, it's simply the Suunto Dive Manager application, supplied by Suunto. It reads the device ID, sees "Gekko", and refuses to run. Suunto actually do supply PC software that talks to a Gekko, but only to dive operators that buy many of them, to clear out dive history between rentals.

They've crippled the Gekko in the cheapest possible way (from their perspective), to get individual divers to buy the more expensive Vypers. Or if you put the best marketing spin on it, to have a product for the extreme cost-concious low end of the market without hurting their Vyper sales too much, and with minimal added engineering and manufacturing cost.

If the Divelog or Macdive authors ported their software to Windows, the Gekko would be natively accessible there as well. But they're more focused on solving the problem of access on Macs (yay!) than access to Gekkos on PCs, which already has a solution - have it tell SDM it's a Vyper. Conversely, if Suunto provided a Mac version of SDM, it presumably wouldn't upload Gekkos.

Read the previously referenced thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom