Oxycheq Recon I Extreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CamG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings fellow SM divers, I had a chance to slip the Recon on today.
I found it to be constructed very well and very streamlined. The donut styled wing is compressed by elastic bands that keep it nice and tight, "clean".
The manor in which the straps are banded to the unit show a lot of forethought.
Over all I was impressed and eager to test drive this unit.
Any one out there already testing this unit?
I have been diving my Nomad clone built out of a Trans Pac + butt plate / bungee's.
I have not purchased a Nomad as of yet because of the bulk. I have tested my buddies and it works great but always seeking the perfect ride. Now it is time to test drive the Recon.
Any thoughts or evaluations? Thanks for the repports.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I haven't taken the Recon in the water but I can comment on the reasons I don't like it. The primary reason is those elastic bands. If you're only interested in using it in OW or large overhead passage, they do the job of streamlining the wing. I dive some pretty tight passage, though, and they seem more of a hazard than benefit. I've had the wing on my Nomad (the older style 50 lb lift model) catch on the ceiling of small passage because I used to run the bungees over the top of the wing and air would trap in it. It may actually have been the bungee that got caught. I no longer use those bungees and don't have anything there to catch on the ceiling. It's a personal thing. There are a couple other reasons but those are more about comfort than anything else. I don't think any of the sidemount rigs are perfect out of the box. I dive a Nomad because I'd rather be diving than designing a rig. But I have made several changes to it and have a few more to make next time I'm sick and can't dive. :wink:

I actually used the Recon for my sidemount class and Tec 1 class, so I have about 15 dives or so in it, which by no means makes me an expert. Not my harness, had to borrow instructor's since I wanted to try some before I bought one.

Thought it was very comfortable, but not that much more compared to Nomad when wearing a drysuit. 360 wing is great, eliminates the "funky chicken" sometimes needed with Nomad. Since everyting was training dives, wasn't doing anything fancy, so I can't comment on overheads, which is a good point made by Dive-aholic. The elastics on the wing do keep it close to your body and aid in making sure all the air dumps, and it will dump quickly, which can be a concern.

It also has scalloped shoulder straps, which tend to pull off your shoulder while carrying tanks attached out of water. This is not that big a deal and can be tempered with shoulder/sternum strap adjustment. Buttplate also a little flimsy. Other than those few things, everything else is like most other harnesses.

I liked it, and if it was the only 360 wing available, I would have it. There were a couple other divers in my class that bought them and love them. As most other state on here, boils down to personal preference. If you have the chance, test dive as many as you can before you buy, I used about three before I chose, still awaiting delivery though...

Hope this helps, happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom