The most powerful fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eth727

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay I know this will probably be contraversial and subjective but which are the most powerful fins? I heard that Scubapro Jets size XL produce the most thrust. What do you think?

I use two different sized Jet Fins depending on what boots I'm wearing. There's no difference in power between the large and the extra large Jets.

Jets do give as much power as any other fins I've ever used. Duck Feet also produce a similar amount of thrust.

Why do you ask? Are you looking for a set of fins for San Diego diving?
I know of many divers here who use Jetfins. However, Jetfins aren't the only good choice. Lots of other good quality paddle fins or split fins on the market. And, if I might add, the amount of power/thrust a fin provides is only one of many factors that should be considered.

Depends what you're looking for.

My OMS Slipstreams can easily push me through the water with doubles.

My Cressi Gara's can easily propel me down to 60fsw while free diving.

I can barely break 30fsw using my Slipstreams while free diving.

My legs get worn out using my Cressi's on SCUBA, and it is hard to turn around.

For me it's been the Mares Graphite Power Plana. These are 20 years old and outperform Jets in both raw thrust and precision manuvering. They take some serious leg muscles, though.

...Of course, they aren't made anymore. So, Jets are the best alternative.

Be careful what you ask for! Although these large, stiff paddle fins will reward you with immediate thrust in large quantities, the cost is a significant demand on the muscles of your leg. This leads to cramping for people who do not dive often or work out with a solid fin kick in mind.

Each fin design has strengths and weaknesses; there is no "perfect" fin. I guess that's why I'm the Immelda Marcos of fins, I own and use 8 different pairs of fins, from $600 C4's to $50 Rockets. Use the best tool for the dive at hand.

All the best, James

Is there a "most powerful fin"? Isn't it more the muscles matched to the correct fin?

It's similar to properly gearing a vehicle to balance hp to vehicle weight etc for maximum efficiency.

I like my Force Fins, I know others hate them, and when there is a very strong current, they can be found wanting, but they are pretty much my only option with size 15 (uk) feet.

Define powerful.

Freediving fins are about a meter long (39.37") and have lots of thrust if your legs can drive them hard enough. I know some Scuba divers that use them for both, but you compromise some maneuverability.

Is your question really what fin provides the most trust with the least input? Or is the question what fin offers the most thrust if you are a world-class athlete or maybe a Navy SEAL? Is your sole objective to move as fast through the water as possible for maybe 30 seconds or do you want to swim across the English Channel?

There are tons of opinions and very little science because it is hard to measure and there are too many human variables. I use freediving fins and "think" they probably offer a better oxygen consumption to thrust ratio in that application. I have been using AquaLung Slingshots because of some rave reviews, but am going back to Jetfins that I have used since 1968. In the end, what you are comfortable with is far more important than any measure of propulsion efficiency.

Between the Navy, commercial, and almost 50 years of sport diving have had to use a lot of different fins. Other than hating a few fins because they hurt my absurdly wide feet, I can't say that I have any passionate opinions — except maybe don’t spend twice as much money as most of the other products cost. Here are a few somewhat objective articles:

Fins | Scuba Diving Magazine

Back in the mid 1980s, using the ability of a diver to pull a spring and the time it takes a diver to cover a 25 ft pool (which are not the optimum tests, but were what was available to the undergrad doing the project) gum rubber Duckfeet came out on top by a hair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom