PDA

View Full Version : GoPro HD underwater blur fix

Pages : [1] 2

bobpoptart
March 31st, 2010, 06:01 PM
I've been reading about the GoPro the Flip and other low cost underwater video options. There is a lot going for the GoPro, but one big negative in the blur factor. It's early days but it looks like eyeofmine may have an after market fix:

(It's on Youtube, but I can't post it here due to my low post count. Just search for "GoPro Hero Underwater Focus FIXED")

Misa
March 31st, 2010, 06:09 PM
GoPro HD Hero underwater focus FIXED on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/10566113)

robint
March 31st, 2010, 06:16 PM
I just watched that and I think you are confused. The camera he is showing is not the Flip camcorder.

Gombessa
March 31st, 2010, 06:18 PM
Wow, those are some great results! I love how they have direct side-by-side comparisons. My uneducated guess is that you simply need an airtight flat port in front of the curved housing--either as an add-on or with a new housing. That would allow the view to focus, though with a slight diminishing of the field of view (as you can see in the comparison shots).

fxholt
April 22nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
I bought the gopro hero hd and i emailed them after discovering the focus problem underwater. This was their response:
Due to the curved lens of the waterproof housing for the HD HERO camera and standard def Wide HERO cameras, you do get a slight loss of sharpness/focus to underwater images. In video mode with the standard def camera this hasn't been very noticeable due to the lower resolution. With the HD HERO camera this becomes more evident at the higher resolution. Our developers are looking into whether we can possibly offer a different housing or housing lens in the future to correct this issue.

I should add that besides this, the camera is incredibly cool. Tiny, can shoot for long periods of time with 8 GB SD card, and above water you can do things with it that you just can't do with any other hd camera out there. So with any kind of fix to the blur issue, everyone is going to want one. The only other issue is the files are HD Mp4s that can choke up the average computer so I have been encoding the files all to friendlier hd formats such as DVCPRo HD (i'm a mac guy without one of the new intels) which is a format that looks awesome but can still play on an older laptop.

bobpoptart
May 13th, 2010, 04:29 PM
eyeofmine.com came out with a housing to correct the underwater blurring issue. It was just as Gombessa said, "an airtight flat port in front of the curved housing". I ordered one for a trip to Maui in June.

eyeofmine.com/gopro/underwater/index.html

derek b
June 28th, 2010, 03:55 AM
YouTube - gopro Seatiger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0N7J4VyOog&hd=1)

Eyeofmine housing acquired and tested out at a the Seatiger a local Artificial reef.
we took it to 112' and it worked gravy,

underwaterhero
July 26th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Hi,

there is another solution from germany goprofocus.com

It is actually a replacement lens and so it is a cheaper solution and it looks much better than the eyeofmine version.

RPdiver
July 26th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Hi,

there is another solution from germany goprofocus.com

It is actually a replacement lens and so it is a cheaper solution and it looks much better than the eyeofmine version.

This looks like a flat port diopter (close up lense). I would like to see them use the dome port instead because with a flat port, you will lose 25% of your picture angle, which is a lot in U/W videos/photos. One would have to pull the camera away from the subject in order to get the image in the frame. The greater the distance the worst the picture because you are shooting through more backscatter. Is there any room to put the diopter on the inside of the dome port of the GoPro?

underwaterhero
July 27th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Hi,

it is actually a Flat Port without any diopter. So it does not change the pictures size. It only reffers to the optical light breaking point from water to air. So optically it will do the same picture distortion as the dome lens, but with a sharp image. All underwater images will be distroted in that way. This is related to the physics of water.

If you would put the flat lens into the dome lens the focus will drop again. The main issue on the blurred image in the hero hd is the fact that the light coming from the water is hitting the dome port first.

TSwain
July 29th, 2010, 05:22 PM
underwaterhero,
I am interested in the lens with the color correcting filter for blue and green water. Do you have a Idea of when these may be done?
Thanks!

RPdiver
July 29th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Hi,

it is actually a Flat Port without any diopter. So it does not change the pictures size. It only reffers to the optical light breaking point from water to air. So optically it will do the same picture distortion as the dome lens, but with a sharp image. All underwater images will be distroted in that way. This is related to the physics of water.

If you would put the flat lens into the dome lens the focus will drop again. The main issue on the blurred image in the hero hd is the fact that the light coming from the water is hitting the dome port first.

Hi
Thanks, no diopter, but the picture size will increase when you change from a Dome to a Flat port. The subject will look 25% closer through a flat port than through a dome port at the same distance. I just bought the GoPro housing the dome port is too small in size for that wide angle lens. The eye of mine is the same flat port. I may just buy the Gopro camera and place it in an old Ikelite SLR housing with a 6 inch dome port.

Scubaru_Steve
July 30th, 2010, 07:23 AM
I am really liking all this video correction on the Go Pro. I love my camera, use it from scuba diving to driving shot in my car, to everything in between. Just wish the underwater shots were a bit more crisp, otherwise I love this camera!

underwaterhero
August 2nd, 2010, 04:23 AM
Hi,

@Tswain:
The filter will be shipped from 12th of august on.

regards

TSwain
August 2nd, 2010, 07:01 PM
underwaterhero,
Is there only one filter? If so is it for blue or green water? And can I ask what it is made of?
Thanks Again.

RickI
August 7th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Just put up a comparison of still and video out of a standard housed GoPro HD vs. one using an Eye Of Mine corrected plane port housing at: Dania Erojacks AND Eyeofmine.com vs. Standard GoPro Housing Underwater - FKA Kiteboarding Forums (http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=9856)

underwaterhero
August 9th, 2010, 11:46 AM
@TSwain,

there is only one filter. It is a light orange which did turn out to work good for both. I did some testing with different colours for my DSLR Camera and I used this colour in all different types of water already. It is actually a filter gel which is also used for stage lighting. I do have a contact to one of the manufactures and they do this very special mix for me.

regards

Patrick

TSwain
August 12th, 2010, 10:40 AM
underwaterhero:

Thank you for the info. I will contact you when I get home and order one.
Thanks again for all the help!

StevenCT
October 14th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Hey guys
Ive made another kind of fix for the GoPRO
Check it out HERE (http://www.animalocean.co.za/diary/2010/07/underwater-focus-problem-solution-for-gopro-hero-wideangle-hd-camera/)
Inexpensive and it works really well, without changing the housing in anyway

GoAnywherePhoto
October 20th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Hi all,

I recently got a GoPro Hero HD and just got the flat lens fix from GoProFocus.com and already have it installed. I'm itching to get out in the water here later this afternoon to see how well it works. I won't quite be going deep enough to warrant using the color correction filter just yet, but I'll let you know how it works when I do.

One thing I did spot right off was that the lens had a small scratch upon arrival. Not sure if it will be noticible in the final product yet or not, but as a photographer by day, it cought my attention right away.

Jon

NeptunusRex
October 21st, 2010, 11:30 AM
Has anyone heard of an actual manufactures fix on the way? I noticed most of the videos on their site shy away from underwater shots. Also has anyone experienced overheating with the unit inside the case? I took mine out after about 30 min of being on and it was roasting. Thanks!

SharkDZ
October 22nd, 2010, 05:15 AM
Jon,

I got my flat lens fix and made a few dives on Monday. I managed to upload part of one dive, but I'm terrible at editing. It's longish at 12 minutes, but here if you want to see it.

Mark

AEhcHNiU_Wk

b0-teL3ei1s

GoAnywherePhoto
October 22nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Jon,

I got my flat lens fix and made a few dives on Monday. I managed to upload part of one dive, but I'm terrible at editing. It's longish at 12 minutes, but here if you want to see it.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for posting. I should be getting out this afternoon to try mine. Hopefully the conditions will be favorable, it has been a bit overcast here lately. I don't even know if I'll be able to upload any of my stuff while I'm here. The internet connection here is about the same as dial-up. I'll try to see if I can get your video to load tonight or this weekend some time.

I am an OK editor. It is a part of my job I am still learning, but I am hoping to get some decent footage to work with and improve my skills. I've got a handfull of Final Cut books in the slow mail as we speak.

Overall, were you happy with the fix? Did you shoot Full 1080 or go with one of the other resolutions? I know the 1080 is supposed to be no change, how was the vignetting if you shot a different resolution?

SharkDZ
October 23rd, 2010, 05:30 AM
Hey Jon,

Really happy with the fix, although the case/lens are on the pricey side. All the video is shot in R5 mode in 1080. I had to convert it to .AVI, edited it, then convert back to .MP4 for uploading and youtube. I did this way because all the software is freeware. Here's another video from the same day:

ghY9N1g5J_I

GoAnywherePhoto
October 23rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
Nice stuff Shark. I spent three years in SoCal and never made it in the water there. Now I wish I had.
Here's my first dive with my GoPro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtFIw3AxRyY

SharkDZ
October 23rd, 2010, 09:33 PM
Nice stuff Shark. I spent three years in SoCal and never made it in the water there. Now I wish I had.
Here's my first dive with my GoPro:

PtFIw3AxRyY

Nice!

GoAnywherePhoto
October 23rd, 2010, 10:36 PM
Got out with the GoPro again. I ditched the head mount and just ran a wrist lanyard through the attachment point on the bottom of the housing.

Got clips of a nice pair of French Angelfish, a big Gray Angelfish, a spotted moray, a spotted trunkfish and two Loggerhead Sea Turtles. Also got a shot of me putting out a Lionfish and playing tag with one of the turtles.

We were out until just about dark and even the last clips looked OK, just a bit of noise starting to show.

I'll try to see if I can get another clip up tomorrow. That first 20 second clip took 35 Min to upload and that was only at 40% quality.

How do I get the little embedded YouTube player to show right in the post?

Jon

vancouverdiver
October 31st, 2010, 02:05 AM
Hi all,
I'm interested in the gopro and was hoping those who have used it could share your experience on these specific questions:
-Is it comfortable above the dive mask, and secure over your hood?
-Since you don't have a viewfinder, it looks like it is hard to shoot steady video, and frame the subject matter very well?
-has gopro issued the fix or do you still have to go with the aftermarket?
-has anyone taken it down to 180 ft? any leak issues? I would want to take it down to this depth.
-there is a post that it gets very hot inside the housing. Anyone have any issues?
Overall, it is hands free which is an advantage, but does that mean you have to accept a jiggly abrupt recording of the subject matter with every single head movement?
thanks in advance for your insight.

mattcass
November 16th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I'm thinking the head mount isn't the best spot for any camera when SCUBA diving. All those darn bubbles would get in the way!

Bopper
November 17th, 2010, 12:36 AM

Certainly comfortable, but practical? Not for me. I would give myself about a 90% chance of losing the camera if I had left it over my hood (the headstrap loosens easily). So I put the headstrap on and put my hood over the headstrap assembly. Now I had about a 0% chance of losing it. Kinda gets tight at the mask-headstrap-hood junction but didn't bother me a bit once in place.

-Since you don't have a viewfinder, it looks like it is hard to shoot steady video, and frame the subject matter very well?

Definitely a consideration. I'd say get your dive buddy to adjust the angle to where the camera is pointing slightly downward to meet your eyeline about 5'-10' out in front of you. When I reviewed my footage I realized that my camera was pointed directly parallel w. my eyeline. I messed up the footage pretty good because of this; lesson learned.

As of about 2 weeks ago you still need to go aftermarket.

-there is a post that it gets very hot inside the housing. Anyone have any issues?

Didn't notice this problem. Camera gets slightly warm, but "hot" - for me- is an exaggeration. Furthermore, I dove in 63 degree water and didn't have any fogging issues. GoPro sells some kind of anti-fogging inserts that I was thinking of buying, but maybe I don't need them. Also, there's a pretty good unofficial GoPro forum out there on the Internetz that has some tips. One of those tips is to use RainX on the outside of the lens (not sure this is necessarily helpful for diving) and defog on the inside. I'd google "GoPro Forum" and you can research for yourself.

Overall, it is hands free which is an advantage, but does that mean you have to accept a jiggly abrupt recording of the subject matter with every single head movement?

Probably my biggest lesson learned. I really wonder if I'll use the headband again. You have to ask yourself the question "Am I out here to dive or am I out here to shoot video?" Because having a camera attached to your forehead is not a natural thing and it shows up in the footage. I literally had to stretch out my edited clips in slow motion since there was so little "steady" footage available I had to make it last as long as possible. Mind you, if I had to go out there and do it over it would be very easy to get steady footage, but it impinges on your ability to enjoy the moment while diving- at least for me it would. Since masks cut down on peripheral vision I'm always looking every which way.

EyeOfMine also sells a kind of extendable aluminum rod that I bought but haven't tried. I think that this might be a good solution to allow me to point the camera at a subject and allow me to swivel my head. The wrist harness sounds pretty do-able as well. ;)

Bopper
November 17th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I'm thinking the head mount isn't the best spot for any camera when SCUBA diving. All those darn bubbles would get in the way!

Yeah true, but they don't always (mostly when you're looking up). But sometimes when they do they create kind of a cool effect.

redstrom
November 17th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Vancouverdiver -to address a few of your concerns:

Shooting without viewfinder takes some practice. I personally had a tendency of shooting well above the subject.

Similarly b/c the camera is so small and light under water you need to attach it to an object (headmount, monorod) to fix the position and make it more stable. I am about to order a tray/flex arm to attach a uk light cannon hid light for "non-action" reef shoots, which should add a little mass and make it more stable.

As already mentioned there are several flat lens solutions out there that fix the blur issue -- I have the goforfocus.com lens that comes with red color correction filter. Works great but with a bit of halo effect when shooting underwater towards the sun (mostly when close to the surface).

Here's video link below with the replacement lens (not using the color filter).

YouTube - Dutch Springs Freediving 10-6-2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJYhOD2PnXw)

My gopro runs warm (but not hot). Only experienced fogging one time --and it was pretty bad. I was filming while whitewater rafting in Bali. Air temp was 85-90 degrees, and the camera kept getting splashed with cold water.

I have noted some serious discoloration issues with the gopro on two occasions --I will start a new thread and discuss these and show some video examples.

What I do find annoying with the gopro is that the red recording light is on the front of the camera. Half the times you end up filming your own face just to be able to tell if the camera is on.

Overall I'm very happy with the GoPro. You get what you pay for and then some.

Hi all,
I'm interested in the gopro and was hoping those who have used it could share your experience on these specific questions:
-has anyone taken it down to 180 ft? any leak issues? I would want to take it down to this depth.
thanks in advance for your insight.

fl-diver
November 17th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Very cool video and awesome diving. I made my first gopro spearfishing video last week with no lens correction. The blur is really bad and I need to get a fix asap. I was really hoping for a factory fix but it may not come soon enough.

YouTube - 2010_11_11_diving (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Saq-YMyaOAk&fmt=22)

In the video I have the camera mounted on the speargun near the handle.
I ordered the heasdstrap mount and some stuff to try and make my own flat lens setup.
Hopefully I can get something that can hold me over until gopro gets something out.

vancouverdiver
November 22nd, 2010, 02:01 AM
Thanks for all the information!

NeptunusRex
November 22nd, 2010, 01:49 PM
Mine no longer "Runs Hot". GoPro recomends a Class4 or higher SD card. Which at the time of the hot camera, I was not using. I swapped it for an appropiate card and problem solved. I've had mine to 107' with no problems.
I too often shoot high with mine. I'm looking at making a pistol grip for it out of a light grip. They run about 15 bucks at my LDS. Has anyone experienced the sticky mount provided coming loose in the water? It's says it's waterproof but I have my doubts.
I have noticed with an LED light it can't correct enough and you end up "whiting out" the subject. I've had success with non-LED lights.

TSwain
November 22nd, 2010, 05:06 PM
I have the sticky mount on my scooter and it has been on more than 10 dive and down to 120' and no problems. I have the EyeOfMine (http://eyeofmine.com/) housing and the replacement lens for the stock housing from GoForFocus (http://www.goforfocus.com/). Both have been to 120' with no problems. You can see the lense a little from the GoForFocus if you are are shooting up toward the sun, but other than that normal shooting is fine. Here is a link to some of the video I have shot with it in a local quarry. GoPro at local quarry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rw7CgiwycE)

vancouverdiver
November 29th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Thanks!

FOUNDATIONER
December 4th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Don't mean to butt in but I thought you guys and anyone looking at these and reading these
threads might like to see this. It's the way I'm gonna go.
GoPro HD HERO Naked - Pursuit Freediving & Spearfishing Gear (http://www.freedivingspearfishinggear.com/48-gopro-hd-hero-naked.html)

sharksdelight
December 4th, 2010, 07:22 PM
To all, I strongly recommend that you buy class 6 cards. Even tho there are class 10 cards, the cards do not always work with a large variety of cams.
Steve

Firefishvideo
December 4th, 2010, 09:12 PM
While one of these small cameras will never replace my larger housing, I have been waiting for a descent fix for this camera. It would make a nice b-roll camera. But.......
All the "fixes" - while currently functional - are a little dissappointing to me. I thought that a REPLACEMENT FLAT GLASS port would be available. I checked the links on this thread and the replacement lens is plastic, and the "overmoulded" Eyeofmine lens just seems "rigged" to me.
I think that the problem with the original lens was part focal length of the dome, but also that is is PLASTIC!
Even good glass has it faults when examined under HD resolution, and If you are expected to shoot through such a small area of plastic.....then any abberation will be noticed.
OH Well, I guess I'll hold off on getting one of these.....I already made the mistake of buying the Contour HD, ....its housing is only good to 30' and a manufacturing defect in my 2 housings caused them to crack the first time I snapped them closed.
I am currently having a machine shop build me a housing which I hope to test to over 300', and Then I'll have something useful! ...oh....and it has a GLASS lens.;)

sharksdelight
December 5th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Yes, the Eye of Mine housing is created in the manufacturers garage, however, it does work better underwater than the Go Pro Housing. If you want a more Manufactured housing, buy the Sartek housing for the GoPro. Excellent for what it is.
Steve

underwaterhero
December 6th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Hi,

I do agree to what Firefishvideo is saying. The eyeofmine and goforfocus solutions are plastic lenses. But I actually do not agree to his opinion that this is a problem. Yes, the exeofmine version looks a bit odd.

As Im the one who is selling the goforfocus lens let me explain a few things. On the one hand the lens is made from makrolon, a high tech material which is very strong and solid. And even if there are scratches on the lens, the will not be visible in the picture as the lens is not in the focus area. And the lens is also so cheap that you could easily buy a new one if it got scratched to bad. Also I did see some bad scratches on glas lenses.

And you need to be fair to Gopro and the replacement lenses. We are talking about a underwater video camera with full hd resolution for a total of less than 400 USD. And this includes the replacement lens already. There are other solutions in the world, like custom build housings. But on these the housing will cost much more. And it will also be bigger and heavier than the GoPro one.

For my opinion the Go Pro Hero is a nice little camera for a very good price to shoot easy and simple underwater footage. If we are talking about high end professional filming I would go to a different system. But that way the entry lever price will be 4.000 instead of 400 USD. So why not using a little small budget camera with a plastic lens if it does the job?

best regards

Patrick

fl-diver
December 6th, 2010, 11:14 AM
I've had my gopro for several weeks now and I am enjoying it quite a bit. I use it on land and underwater and just had a great time taking video in and around the water on a recent canoeing/camping trip with my family.
I think it is a great compact and durable camera and lets me video when everybody has their cameras packed away to stay dry.
I just took some video Saturday using my new "homemade" flat port. I basically used a UV SLR filter and glued in front of the factory lens. Kind of like eyeofmine. It really does work and the image is much sharper. If and when gopro comes out with a corrected housing I will probably buy it.
The UV filter I now have mounted is the same that many people use to protect their expensive SLR lenses and seems to work fine on land as well. The nice thing about this addition was the fact that the modification does not jeopardize the stock housing.
In my video on the first page of this thread, with the stock housing you can easily see how blurry everything is but I think the composition is pretty good. In the video from Saturday (link below) it is clearly much sharper but I was using the head strap mount and it is way too shaky. Video was taken @ about 100 fsw in good viz.

YouTube - PB Lobster 11/4/2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdhlIRrbJqY&fmt=22)

I think I either need to come up with a better mount or be a little more careful to not look around so much. I do need to have my hands free though.

I just realized I put the wrong date in my youtube video. This was taken Saturday 12/4.

Firefishvideo
December 6th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Hi,

I do agree to what Firefishvideo is saying. The eyeofmine and goforfocus solutions are plastic lenses. But I actually do not agree to his opinion that this is a problem. Yes, the exeofmine version looks a bit odd.

As Im the one who is selling the goforfocus lens let me explain a few things. On the one hand the lens is made from makrolon, a high tech material which is very strong and solid. And even if there are scratches on the lens, the will not be visible in the picture as the lens is not in the focus area. And the lens is also so cheap that you could easily buy a new one if it got scratched to bad. Also I did see some bad scratches on glas lenses.

And you need to be fair to Gopro and the replacement lenses. We are talking about a underwater video camera with full hd resolution for a total of less than 400 USD. And this includes the replacement lens already. There are other solutions in the world, like custom build housings. But on these the housing will cost much more. And it will also be bigger and heavier than the GoPro one.

For my opinion the Go Pro Hero is a nice little camera for a very good price to shoot easy and simple underwater footage. If we are talking about high end professional filming I would go to a different system. But that way the entry lever price will be 4.000 instead of 400 USD. So why not using a little small budget camera with a plastic lens if it does the job?

best regards

Patrick

No offense intended Patrick. I tend to ask more from my gear than it's intended design and price point dictates. I should have pointed out that many Larger domes for SLR cameras are plastic, yield great shots. From looking at your product pics, it looks like there is a step in the lens....If so , then I can see why it would be a problem to manufacture a glass lens of that design. It all goes back to the origional housing design.
Of Course It is still a $30 housing, and What can you expect....I just hate to see potential wasted when It could shine with a few little design tweeks. Also I should be so lucky to have a product that is solving such a problem as your does....:clapping:

Reef_Haven
December 8th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I just took some video Saturday using my new "homemade" flat port. I basically used a UV SLR filter and glued in front of the factory lens. Kind of like eyeofmine. It really does work and the image is much sharper. If and when gopro comes out with a corrected housing I will probably buy it.
The UV filter I now have mounted is the same that many people use to protect their expensive SLR lenses and seems to work fine on land as well. The nice thing about this addition was the fact that the modification does not jeopardize the stock housing.

How did you attach the UV filter to the housing? Any photos of your housing now?

gucmen
December 9th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Hi there,

I am calling from Turkey.
Before my first ever trip to Red Sea, last Sept., I invested into a Sartek housing for my GoPro HD. I used the headband and for the entire time of my 13 dives, I had the camera on my head. I intended to make a home made movie, out of my two camera shootings; GoPro on my head and Canon HF M31 in its original Canon housing, in my hands.

However, I couldn't use the GoPro shootings, as much as I thought. Becasue;

my quick and too frequent head movements, made the majority of the shootage unuseable..
there was a remarkable "color difference" between the two camera shootings...

But, with regards to the picture quality with the Sartek housing (google for Sartek; I am still not allowed to post URL's)
I am fully satisfied... At the highest resolution, the image quality of GoPro is crisp clear; from edge to the edge, underwater.

Regarding the filter element; as there is no thread on the outside, we can only put the color filter element into the housing, in front of the lens... I will try the Magic Filter, on my next dive trip... The Auto_magic filter seems to be very suitable.

I will post some of the "useable" GoPro shootings into youtube soon and give the link here, for your reference.

Regards and greetings from Istanbul
Kaya

fl-diver
December 9th, 2010, 12:47 PM
How did you attach the UV filter to the housing? Any photos of your housing now?

I can probably upload some pics of the finish product but I basically did what these guys did.
GoPro underwater focus fix | Jazz & Fly Fishing (http://jazzandflyfishing.com/?p=2256)
I used epoxy to attach the filter to the ring but I used silicon to attach the assembled ring and filter to the gopro housing. If the system failed I can probably remove the silicon and make repairs. I didn't bother to replace the UV filter ring around the outside surface. UV filters are designed to protect expensive slr lenses so I think it should hold up well. (I think I got the UV filters on amazon for $3.00 each.)
It has been banged around recently on a canoe/camping trip and a couple lobstering dives to just over 100ft and is still scratch free.

gumbo717
December 12th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I picked up the HD Hero 960 about a couple of weeks ago and just recorded my second video with it. So for so good, I really like this small camera. I have it mounted to a climbing helmet that I use for scuba and it works great. I do get bubble from time to time but for what I want this for it works great. I didn't care for silicone rubber head strap the helmet is a bit more comfortable and easy on and off.

Here are the links to the videos if you want a look. Thanks!

YouTube - BSC Dive 11-28-2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGf0WceKqYs)

YouTube - BSC Dive 12-12-10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6oJ6Syjqqw)

TSwain
December 13th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Here are the links to the videos if you want a look. Thanks!

YouTube - BSC Dive 11-28-2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGf0WceKqYs)

YouTube - BSC Dive 12-12-10 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6oJ6Syjqqw)

Great videos! I was at BSC on the 11th and vis was great! Here is a link to the video I shot. It doesnt do it justice on here!

Diving BSC 12-11-2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lh4kNSR1lg)

Down2bizDiver
December 22nd, 2010, 08:59 PM
I've ordered the eyeofmine case, hope to have in time for Grand Cayman dive trip early January. In the meantime, here is 3 min. of video from my GoPro shot last week 35 - 40' underwater at night, Hawaii.

YouTube - Hawaii -- Manta Rays at Night SCUBA Dive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJdoxuse89g)

NeptunusRex
December 31st, 2010, 03:02 AM
Down2bizDiver

Nice vid! I love these, they always feel like your watching Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

andrewy
January 4th, 2011, 01:05 AM
I got my lens from pursuit spearfishing it suck. it is two piece plastic glued and very badly at that.
it leaks :( lucky me i had pressure chamber.

Down2bizDiver
January 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM
This morning I made my first dives (Grand Cayman; 114' and 53') with the Eye Of Mine "pro" case and my year old GoPro camera. The results are absolutely FANTASTIC, I am so very happy! Thank you to eye of mine!

I have a backup GoPro Hero camera and I think I might put it in the old case and take both cameras on a dive and shoot scenes with both at the same time in order to give side by side comparison under identical conditions.

Sample video uploaded to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J_meOSFiY4. To see dive videos I have taken with the unmodified factory housing go to youtube.com and search "down2biz".

Now, the question becomes "how many dive cycles will the modification withstand?". The modification is pressure tested to 180 feet, but how many roundtrips can it make, or put another way, which will give out first, the eye of mine mod or the factory supplied O ring seal?

Down2bizDiver
January 12th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Side by side comparison: dive video shot with standard GoPro housing vs. Eye of Mine housing.YouTube - Side by Side Comparison of Watertight Housings: GoPro vs. Eye of Mine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ERjOMHbj0)

fstbttms
January 12th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Here is my most recent effort, shot with the GoPro Hero HD in an Eye of Mine "Pro" housing:

lR5o6Lyv5l4

lP5hw-xXW_A

Farty
January 22nd, 2011, 01:18 PM
I got my lens from pursuit spearfishing it suck. it is two piece plastic glued and very badly at that.
it leaks :( lucky me i had pressure chamber.

I was just about to buy it, thank you for the comment. Did you switch to Eye Of Mine?

Also I noticed a lot of people mount the camera on the head which I don't want to do for few reasons (jerky moves, kelp around, safety, ...). I am thinking bungee cord on my right hand (kinda like a canister light setup) would work better. How did you mount it?

sharksdelight
January 22nd, 2011, 02:02 PM
In Roitan I put my hood over the head strap. No worry about losing it that way.
Steve

dumpsterDiver
February 14th, 2011, 08:43 AM
MAKO Spearguns - MAKO Flat GoPro Housing Lens (http://makospearguns.com/details.php?prodId=301&category=22)

This is the least expenisive solution I have found for the Go-Pro focus problem.

Spd 135
February 14th, 2011, 10:42 AM
MAKO Spearguns - MAKO Flat GoPro Housing Lens (http://makospearguns.com/details.php?prodId=301&category=22)

This is the least expenisive solution I have found for the Go-Pro focus problem.

Any idea on how it mounts? I like this option. Nevermind. I shouldn't post before my first cup of coffee. I am ordering one today.

willembad
February 14th, 2011, 04:41 PM
GoPro video with pursuit flat lens.

YouTube - Spiegel short (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyWj3IK0mf8)

Willem

txapacheguy
February 19th, 2011, 09:11 PM

This is the least expensive solution I have found for the Go-Pro focus problem.

Thanks for sharing!!! Have you actually tried this lens, and if so, is it different than the one sold by pursuit spearfishing???

Ordered my Gopro from diverightinscuba today, and have one of these Mako underwater lenses on order as well. Hopefully, it will all make it here before my ice diving trip this weekend...

dumpsterDiver
February 20th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Thanks for sharing!!! Have you actually tried this lens, and if so, is it different than the one sold by pursuit spearfishing???

Ordered my Gopro from diverightinscuba today, and have one of these Mako underwater lenses on order as well. Hopefully, it will all make it here before my ice diving trip this weekend...

I have one on order from Mako and have not tried it out yet. As to comparison to other lense, I honestly don't know if it is different. It costs less than half though.

I do know that people rave about the level of customer service from mako.

UnderwaterCameraHouse
February 20th, 2011, 02:13 AM
I have not tried it so I can't say anything about it.

Down2bizDiver
February 23rd, 2011, 04:22 PM
Here is an 84 second video I took a few days ago using Eye of Mine solution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yh_AWIHoZg

MAKO Spearguns
February 23rd, 2011, 10:16 PM
We got a new shipment of flat lenses in this week. It has been tough keeping up with demand. At $16.95 we figure it is a "no-brainer".

MAKO Spearguns - Store (http://makospearguns.com/results.php?category=22)

Please note that if you buy a Go Pro from us. The flat lens upgrade is free.

Dunx
February 23rd, 2011, 11:25 PM
Ordered the eyeofmine housing, but it wasn't going to ship until the 26th, I'm going diving on the 27th in Bahamas! SO...after some research I decided to jump in and do it myself.

I cut a 6mm ring out of a 1.5 inch plastic or PVC plumbing/coupling thing and siliconed it to the case, then siliconed a round piece of clear glass to it. (total cost = $25 CND)
If there's any engineer-types that want to check out the photos and see if you can forsee any problems, i'm all ears. basically I've made sure that the glass isn't touching the domed port (i've heard that that would cause condensation). I haven't tampered with the actual housing either, so the wort thing that could happen is that water gets into the air cavity (or the glass implodes;).

Anyways, it was fun and satisfying knowing that I did it myself. here's some photos

EVOIXMR
February 24th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I have the pursuit lens on my gopro and it works great.
Also got the gopro LCD screen, so i can see what im shooting.
It's sweet. definately worth the 80$ or w/e it was.

Also got the telescope pole thing from quikpods and it seems to work pretty good.
Soon as the water warms up, i'll do some testing and i have an idea for some flood lights mounted to the pole.
time will tell.

Jak Crow
February 24th, 2011, 11:49 AM
We got a new shipment of flat lenses in this week. It has been tough keeping up with demand. At $16.95 we figure it is a "no-brainer".

MAKO Spearguns - Store (http://makospearguns.com/results.php?category=22)

Please note that if you buy a Go Pro from us. The flat lens upgrade is free.

What's the quality of this lens? The one I bought from Pursuit scratched when I cleaned it with a clean lens cloth to remove my fingerprints, which is extremely disappointing, in both the quality of the material and the lack of response from Pursuit.

goleta surfer
February 25th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I decided to make my own focus fixed underwater housing and this is what I came up with. It is all aluminum with glass lenses and stainless hardware. It is a prototype and I still need to pressure test it but I have shot underwater video and it was crystal clear with no cropping in the corners. It does take an allen wrench and about 15 seconds to take the back off but but the alternative would have been bulkier, heavier and more expensive. I am also planning on making a version out of delrin which will be lighter. I am not sure what the final cost will be but should be about $150. If anyone is interested or has any question please contact me at tedd@nealfeay.com and I will keep you updated on the development.

MAKO Spearguns
February 25th, 2011, 08:14 PM
What's the quality of this lens? The one I bought from Pursuit scratched when I cleaned it with a clean lens cloth to remove my fingerprints, which is extremely disappointing, in both the quality of the material and the lack of response from Pursuit.

Dear Jak C:

Thank you for your interest in our products. In all fairness to Pursuit, I am not in a position to comment on the quality of their products. I can only assume that they offer very good products and perhaps it was a rare occurrence that the lens scratched so easily.

Our lenses are made of a material called Makrolon which is a high tech polycarbonate made by Bayer Material Science. Although Makrolon is very scratch resistant, it is possible to scratch it, but it would take much more than a lens cloth to do so.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.
Again, I thank you for your time and consideration.

Dive safe,
dano

Dunx
March 4th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Ordered the eyeofmine housing, but it wasn't going to ship until the 26th, I'm going diving on the 27th in Bahamas! SO...after some research I decided to jump in and do it myself.

I cut a 6mm ring out of a 1.5 inch plastic or PVC plumbing/coupling thing and siliconed it to the case, then siliconed a round piece of clear glass to it. (total cost = $25 CND)
If there's any engineer-types that want to check out the photos and see if you can forsee any problems, i'm all ears. basically I've made sure that the glass isn't touching the domed port (i've heard that that would cause condensation). I haven't tampered with the actual housing either, so the wort thing that could happen is that water gets into the air cavity (or the glass implodes;).

Anyways, it was fun and satisfying knowing that I did it myself. here's some photos

WORKED REALLY WELL!! Just back from Nassau diving with Stuart Cove's - will post some video soon. I'm not at all against ordering pre-made ones (and tried to twice!) but it's inspiring to know that this is definitely a DIY possibility.

sharksdelight
March 4th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Anyone have opinions regarding the resolution of their new monitor back?
Steve

txapacheguy
March 5th, 2011, 02:47 AM
Dear Jak C:

Thank you for your interest in our products. In all fairness to Pursuit, I am not in a position to comment on the quality of their products. I can only assume that they offer very good products and perhaps it was a rare occurrence that the lens scratched so easily.

Our lenses are made of a material called Makrolon which is a high tech polycarbonate made by Bayer Material Science. Although Makrolon is very scratch resistant, it is possible to scratch it, but it would take much more than a lens cloth to do so.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.
Again, I thank you for your time and consideration.

Dive safe,
dano

Let me add to this... I have not tried the pursuit lens either, but I received my Mako lens in the mail a week or so ago.(before my GoPro even came in and I ordered them both the same day with rushed shipping on the GoPro ordered from elsewhere...)

The lens looks incredibly clear and fit very nicely into my wrist housing when I installed it. The business end of the lens came with a nice piece of clear film stuck to it to prevent scratches during shipment or installation.

This looks to me like a winner as long as my housing does not leak when I test it on my next dive. Thanks Dano!!!

c.fletcher
March 7th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Some gopro footage in MAldives with home made flat lens
youtube search for "l'effet goro"
connot put URL because i haven't post 5 times...
have a nice time
Chris

Dunx
March 7th, 2011, 06:43 PM
C. Fletcher - AMAZING FOOTAGE!!
What lights were you using? Also, were you using an underwater tripod?

I also did a video from Bahamas last week with a homemade flat lens/GoPro - youtube, search for "Dubstep Diving"

Down2bizDiver
March 14th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Here is another example of video shot in Galapagos Islands with the Eye of Mine flat lens case. I've ordered the Mako solution and will try it on my dive trip to Cozumel at the end of this month.
YouTube - Galapagos Islands SCUBA Dive Video, Outtakes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-j0AWPHLks)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0-j0AWPHLks" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sharksdelight
March 14th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Question...usually I have the answers but not sure of this one. If I wanted to use the 60fps setting with the GoPRO, the frame size is smaller at 1280x720. For using this footage for slow motion in a 1920x1080 30fps sequence, is it better to just make the whole sequence 1280x720 or will FC use the 1280x720 footage in a 30fps sequence automatically slower.
Steve

H20man
March 14th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Let me add to this... I have not tried the pursuit lens either, but I received my Mako lens in the mail a week or so ago.(before my GoPro even came in and I ordered them both the same day with rushed shipping on the GoPro ordered from elsewhere...)

The lens looks incredibly clear and fit very nicely into my wrist housing when I installed it. The business end of the lens came with a nice piece of clear film stuck to it to prevent scratches during shipment or installation.

This looks to me like a winner as long as my housing does not leak when I test it on my next dive. Thanks Dano!!!

Have you used the caera with the Mako lens yet.
I'm curious as i want to purchase the same thing but can't find any feedback, except for 1 youtube video with a guy in a pool.

fdog
March 14th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I ordered the Mako port replacement, and I'm over-the-top impressed.

Easy ordering. No shipping cost. Arrived in two days (across the country, yet!). Overall my experience with the company was superb.

The new port just dropped in, a perfect fit. The important parts, the sealing surface and the optical path, were shiny, perfectly flat, no nicks. I was nervous about this because the price, $16.95, was about a third of the Pursuit cost, and an eighth of the Eye of Mine.

Over a couple of dives at r5, the video has been tack sharp. Amazing really. The only issue is you can't shoot 720, because the corners vignette, but in 1080 it is spectacular.

So far, it has 5-6 dives. Depth wise I've only had it to 170' with a 90 minute runtime, hasn't leaked a drop yet.

All the best, James

Arkman
March 14th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I just bought the Mako Lens as well. I bought it last Friday. They changed the price to 21.99 on Thursday! Dang! I haven't got it yet but I expect it soon. I hope it works as good as James says! That would be awesome!

H20man
March 15th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I ordered the Mako port replacement, and I'm over-the-top impressed.

Easy ordering. No shipping cost. Arrived in two days (across the country, yet!). Overall my experience with the company was superb.

The new port just dropped in, a perfect fit. The important parts, the sealing surface and the optical path, were shiny, perfectly flat, no nicks. I was nervous about this because the price, $16.95, was about a third of the Pursuit cost, and an eighth of the Eye of Mine.

Over a couple of dives at r5, the video has been tack sharp. Amazing really. The only issue is you can't shoot 720, because the corners vignette, but in 1080 it is spectacular.

So far, it has 5-6 dives. Depth wise I've only had it to 170' with a 90 minute runtime, hasn't leaked a drop yet.

All the best, James

That's great news James, have you tried it out of the water,is it just as good with the flat lens?
Do you guys think the lcd that attaches to the back would be worth buying?
Mako has it for a great price.

TSwain
March 15th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Do you guys think the lcd that attaches to the back would be worth buying?
Mako has it for a great price.

I just used the LCD this past weekend and it does make it nice to see what you are videoing!

H20man
March 15th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Yea i think i will go ahead and buy it, i'm sure it'll be useful out of the water too.

sharksdelight
March 16th, 2011, 02:29 PM
My review of the monitor will be published this Sunday on the Kenneth Stone (http://www.kenstone.net) editing website. It is definitely worth having.

Sorry to hear that the Mako port vignettes when shooting at 720p, 60fps. I'm surprised they would produce it like that. The great thing about shooting in the higher frame rate is being able to get better slow motion but if it vignettes, what good is it?

Steve

c.fletcher
March 17th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Hi Dunx
Light is Dragonsub Video 6 Leds (http://www.scubawind.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Dragonsub+vide o&x=0&y=0)
by two, about tripod, no as per the Gopro philosophy "make it simple & cheap" i use dive lead and i have stick the grip on it as picture very simple and very efficient as you could see
have a good dive
Chris :D

c.fletcher
March 17th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Houps

hellhole
March 17th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Hi Dunx
Light is Dragonsub Video 6 Leds (http://www.scubawind.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Dragonsub+vide o&x=0&y=0)
by two, about tripod, no as per the Gopro philosophy "make it simple & cheap" i use dive lead and i have stick the grip on it as picture very simple and very efficient as you could see
have a good dive
Chris :D

chris... i love your rig! i wish i can make one myself..

sotgecho
March 18th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I made this today.

First time diving with the GoPro; was in a modified housing which I made my own flat port. I will post pics later of my setup.

Definitely need a red filter for wide angle stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cQ917CqAGc&hd=1

Oculus lens
March 21st, 2011, 05:51 AM
Hi All,

I would like to introduce the Oculus flat lens, which is our own unique and patented design, to solve the focus problem of the Gopro standard housing lens. Please have a look at the following youtube videos to find out more.

Many thanks to Scubaboard!

The Oculus Team.

Side by side comparison video:
YouTube - Oculus underwater flat lens video test for GoPro Hero HD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNMxE-fSvHo)

Pressure test:
YouTube - Oculus underwater flat lens pressure test for GoPro Hero HD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3eD8ZHSAGY)

Assembly video:
YouTube - Oculus underwater flat lens installation video for the GoPro Hero HD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b8F7qPCIaA)

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/vintagerazor/Oculus/Slide6.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/vintagerazor/Oculus/Slide5.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/vintagerazor/Oculus/Slide4.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/vintagerazor/Oculus/Slide3.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/vintagerazor/Oculus/Slide1.jpg

http://i738.photobucket.com/albums/xx27/vintagerazor/Oculus/Slide2.jpg

hellhole
March 21st, 2011, 11:33 AM
another one...

TSwain
March 21st, 2011, 03:52 PM
How much and how does it record in 720 mode? Can you see any edges while filming in 720? Where can we purchase these?
Thanks!

hellhole
March 21st, 2011, 07:10 PM
How much and how does it record in 720 mode? Can you see any edges while filming in 720? Where can we purchase these?
Thanks!

i am not selling for them... but i saw a comment in one of the video that they have set up a ebay account... they seem to be base of thailand...

if u do get one.. let me knoe how it goes... i tend to not get things from ebay... :D

fdog
March 21st, 2011, 07:30 PM
Hi All,

I would like to introduce the Oculus flat lens, which is our own unique and patented design, to solve the focus problem of the Gopro standard housing lens. Please have a look at the following youtube videos to find out more.

Many thanks to Scubaboard!

The Oculus Team.

I'm curious as to how this can be. I have friends that had patent applications filed a year and a half ago, that are still pending review.

Also, someone asked if the Mako port vignettes out of the water, too, at 720. The answer is yes.

All the best, James

Oculus lens
March 21st, 2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks!
Unfortunately at 170 degrees FOV the Gopro will catch the corners of the lens. Unless you're willing to do some video/picture cropping afterwards the Oculus lens, much like Mako, will work best at R5.

sharksdelight
March 22nd, 2011, 11:26 AM
Not a problem, feather the vignette and you have a cool effect.
Steve

mbscuba
March 26th, 2011, 07:50 AM
I ordered the Oculus R5 underwater flat lens. Im waiting for it to arrive. I will post after my test. I am worried about messing up my original housing, so I ordered a new housing too.

Will_Evo
March 26th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Here's a question,

Has anyone used the GP 3D housing yet for a scuba dive or know if they make that housing waterproof? A dropzone near me recently said they ordered some of the 3D housings(which is just 2 HD GP's side by side with a cable syncing them) but before that I had never even heard of it. I tried to find the housing listed on gopro.com but they don't list that housing on their products page.

Also, what is the general consensus in the dive community about # of dives in relation to when you can start using a camera like a GP(I have one for skydiving). I know in skydiving it is recommended to have at least 200 skydives before you fly video but was wondering if there was anything like that in scuba? Thanks

-Evo

Titanite
March 28th, 2011, 10:39 AM
The question I STILL have is why isn't go pro manufacturing a similar lens to the Mako or others and sending them free of charge to all customers who bought this camera?? I was impressed at the depth rating on the housing and decided to buy one for dual use (motorcross and diving). Probably would not have purchased it if I knew the video under water was going to be so piss poor!!

ronscuba
March 28th, 2011, 11:59 AM
$260 from the mfr. plus $25 for the flat lens, or buy the whole package from Mako and get the flat lens for free. Before it came out, you would have to pay double or more and have a rig 5 times the size and weight. It's an amazing cam for the price.

I'm very surprised people are complaining.

sharksdelight
March 29th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Their new monitor now makes it possible to compose the shot. Good monitor too though you couldn't use it for critical focus. That's if they had a manual focus.
Steve
Ps. Here is my monitor PacPak review

GoPro HD HERO LCD BACPAC (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/go_pro_hero_hd_lcd_douglas.html)

SharkDZ
March 30th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Here's a question,

Has anyone used the GP 3D housing yet for a scuba dive or know if they make that housing waterproof? A dropzone near me recently said they ordered some of the 3D housings(which is just 2 HD GP's side by side with a cable syncing them) but before that I had never even heard of it. I tried to find the housing listed on gopro.com but they don't list that housing on their products page.

Also, what is the general consensus in the dive community about # of dives in relation to when you can start using a camera like a GP(I have one for skydiving). I know in skydiving it is recommended to have at least 200 skydives before you fly video but was wondering if there was anything like that in scuba? Thanks

-Evo

I figure if you can effectively control your buoyancy, able to clear your reg and mask with the camera then you are good to go. Diving with a camera is very different than jumping with a camera. I say this as both a scuba and skydiving instructor. Which ever you do, be safe. BTW, I use the GPHD in both "jobs." :D

keggerman
March 31st, 2011, 01:38 PM
So after reading this thread I see both the Mako and Oculus vignette at 720p and should be used in R5 for best results, but I've yet to see any video of the Eye of Mine shot in 720p. I contacted Eye of Mine and they assure me there is no vignetting at 720p but I'd like to see some video or hear from someone that actually own's this housing just to verify this.

Thanks!

Will_Evo
March 31st, 2011, 04:51 PM
I figure if you can effectively control your buoyancy, able to clear your reg and mask with the camera then you are good to go. Diving with a camera is very different than jumping with a camera. I say this as both a scuba and skydiving instructor. Which ever you do, be safe. BTW, I use the GPHD in both "jobs." :D

Thanks for the reply...I took the GP out on my last certification dive (OK'ed by the instructor) and realized pretty early that diving with my GoPro was a bit more difficult than I expected, especially when descending and entering the water (I didn't bring any mounts to Wake Island with me). We entered the water by doing the big step off of some shore reef and somewhere in the process my GP fell off my BCD(I had used a strap to hold it on)...luckily my instructor found it on the bottom for me....then as we were descending to 60ft I realized I needed 3 hands to equalize, operatre the BCD and hold the GP so I ended up dropping it again which was no big deal cause we were headed to the bottom anyway but it still was a bit nerve racking. Anyways to fix this and other problems I ordered the wrist mount, the LCD bac Pac and the Mako flat lens so I can dive with the GP properly.

-Evo

TSwain
March 31st, 2011, 06:57 PM
So after reading this thread I see both the Mako and Oculus vignette at 720p and should be used in R5 for best results, but I've yet to see any video of the Eye of Mine shot in 720p. I contacted Eye of Mine and they assure me there is no vignetting at 720p but I'd like to see some video or hear from someone that actually own's this housing just to verify this.

Thanks!

Keggerman her is a video I shot with the GoPro in the Eye Of Mine housing in 720p mode. I have it mounted on my scooter.

GoPro in Eye of Mine in 720p mode. (http://www.youtube.com/user/swainsdecals#p/u/10/6Rw7CgiwycE)

keggerman
March 31st, 2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks TSwain,

Thanks just what I was looking for. Looks like I'll be buying me an ugly EyeofMine.. : ) I know how annoyed I'll be if I have to stare at vignetted corners in all my slow-mo video..

Chris

hellhole
March 31st, 2011, 09:24 PM
anyone has any experience with magic filters (http://www.magic-filters.com/)? any idea if they fit over the 'eye' or/and the std case?

merxlin
March 31st, 2011, 10:10 PM
anyone has any experience with magic filters (http://www.magic-filters.com/)? any idea if they fit over the 'eye' or/and the std case?

Yes, the magic filter works great for color correction. If I can figure out how to edit my video, I'll post some of it to show you how it looks. I cut a piece to fit inside between the housing and camera lens.

hellhole
March 31st, 2011, 10:54 PM
Yes, the magic filter works great for color correction. If I can figure out how to edit my video, I'll post some of it to show you how it looks. I cut a piece to fit inside between the housing and camera lens.

i actually am looking how well it does if it using the external one. and if they have one that fit the 'eye case' on the external.

sharksdelight
April 1st, 2011, 12:32 PM
EVO,
You won't like hearing this but a camera should not be in your hands at this point in your early diving career. I mean this with the greatest of respect for your ambitions and future fun. The most important factor in being a good shooter is having decent buoyancy control and preparedness simply as a good diver. I was recently asked to speak to the Media Association International recently on underwater shooting and one of the questions asked was when a person should get into uw filming. The panel of 3 all agreed, first learn to dive properly before ever considering getting a cam. I used to tell my dive students way back when I was an instructor and owned a dive shop "Now that you have earned your certification, you are ready to go out and learn to dive". My friends said that to me when I was a student diver all too many years ago. And it holds true for today. Forget the cam for now and just learn to dive safely, control your buoyancy with just your breathing and not with all 3 hands on your power inflator, be able to hover a foot over any surface at any depth. Learn how to approach marine life, how to spot the macro stuff and how to avoid problems. Learn to the point that you are confident in yourself so that when the time comes for you to bring a cam in the water with you, your dive training and experiences are second nature. I would say this to anyone and not just because you dropped your cam a couple of times. All divers have dropped or lost a piece of gear at one time or another, no shame in that but I can clearly see that with somewhere under 25 dives, you are not ready to be focusing on filming. Get a 100 dives or so under your belt in all kinds of dive conditions and then bring on the cam career. Here is an old, somewhat outdated article I wrote years ago but may still be helpful to you.
SO YOU WANT TO GET YOUR FEET WET (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/underwater_douglas.html)
and one that is a bit newer: Diving the Deep - Underwater Videography (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/diving_the_deep_underwater-videography_douglas.html)
Become an excellent diver EVO, train to live and be safe and your filming will only be benefited once you do take it up.
Steve Douglas

Jak Crow
April 1st, 2011, 02:10 PM
And definitely get one of the mounts. Head strap would be best. You won't have to touch it.

sharksdelight
April 1st, 2011, 11:14 PM
You'd be amazed how much your head moves as you fin around. A head strap should stay on but it wouldn't be good for your video, too much panning and tilting, no composition set up. Not the way to go unless you don't really care how your video looks as long as it is something under the water.

merxlin
April 2nd, 2011, 12:47 AM
i actually am looking how well it does if it using the external one. and if they have one that fit the 'eye case' on the external.

Here is some video shot in HD with the magic filter (between the lens and housing) at about 35ft, natural light, 20-25ft viz off Catalina a few weeks ago.

hZMjkFWnmWI

sharksdelight
April 2nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
Mike, It seems like your video has been blocked based on copyright grounds. It won't play
Steve

merxlin
April 2nd, 2011, 08:42 PM
Mike, It seems like your video has been blocked based on copyright grounds. It won't play
Steve

Ooops. Try it again. I had to change the soundtrack.

ronscuba
April 3rd, 2011, 12:50 AM
Nice. How much does the Magic filter cost ? I'm curious to see if the Lee filter works the same.

merxlin
April 3rd, 2011, 01:11 AM
About $30 for a single sheet. I use the AutoMagic Magic Filters (http://www.magic-filters.com/autobuy.html)

I'm hoping to fabricate an external filter holder for my eye of mine housing.

ronscuba
April 3rd, 2011, 01:59 AM
Is the $30 sheet only 2 inches x 2 inches or is that a typo ?

Wolfie
April 3rd, 2011, 09:45 PM
I recently purchased a gopro through Pursuit freediving
GoPro HD HERO Naked - Pursuit Diving
It came with a flat lens that works with the original housing. There seems to be some issues with the edges on setting 1-4 but is looking OK in setting 5 (HD).
I haven't had it underwater yet but will be Checking it out in Grand Cayman at the end of the month. I am curious of the best way to attach while diving....
More later.....

sharksdelight
April 4th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Here's my review of the Eye of Mine housing which was certainly better for underwater use.
Steve
Eye of Mine Underwater Housing (http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/eye_of_mine_underwater_douglas.html)

sharksdelight
April 4th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Is it just a filter sheet that you stick in front of the cam before putting it in the housing? When using it with lights, how does the footage come out then?

Also, has anyone figured out a way to mount the GoPRO on to a regular housing. I was thinking of sticking it on a L & M housing for a different perspective.
Steve

ronscuba
April 4th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I think they have both. Originally just sheets, but I think they now have threaded filters. The sheet looks kind of expensive at $30 for a 2 inch square sheet. I can't really say since I have not used a Magic Filter.

I did buy a Lee filter sheet that someone recommended. Cost $7 for a 24 inch square sheet. I'll see how it works in Bonaire in a few weeks.

GoPro does have a tripod mount with female thread. I think it costs $10.

merxlin
April 4th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Is it just a filter sheet that you stick in front of the cam before putting it in the housing? When using it with lights, how does the footage come out then?

Yes, just filter media that is flat against the housing lens. Not recommended with lights close up- very red and very bright. I'd really like to make a friction fit filter that I could attach below 20ft or more, and remove for shallow diving or when using topside. The eyeofmine housing has a liquid silicone seal that is making that task difficult, as is is not really clean (sort of gooped on). The one that is inside the housing is hard to insert and remove since it needs to be a larger diameter than the lens opening. This ill not be as big an issue with the Mako lens, since it is not a larger diameter than the standard lens.

Marty Cerven
April 5th, 2011, 08:53 AM

Thanks!

Hey guys just came across this forum, I've got the eye of mine housing and have been using it for about 6 months. I mainly use it in r3 mode as the video comes out much smoother then r5 which you must keep the camera very still.

Ive done most dives using headband slightly modified with a chin strap so the camera stays put. Framing is not too hard its just that you have to make sure you set the camera at the correct angle first. I prefer this method as I dont realy think about the camera and it just captures everything I see as I go about the dive as usual.

Head strap does get issues with bubbles coming into frame but that can also be avoided by using the extra mounts to extend the cam a little ahead of the mask. Ive only used this extended method a few times in my vids though.

Ive got quite a few dive videos on youtube and vimeo if you want to see some examples and all are with gopro and eyeofmine housing.

YouTube - martcerv's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/martcerv)

marty cerven's videos on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/user5071885/videos)

With the 3d system if you see the promo film from gopro you can see how clear the underwater footage they have is. This is because they are using their own focus fix lens which can be seen held by the girl in the underwater shots.

JungMin
April 7th, 2011, 07:14 AM
So, to sum it up... the Mako and Oculus vignette at 720p. The EyeofMine does not, except when shooting still at 5MP?.

For those that have done so, what about the homemade solutions; attaching a ring to the housing and then a piece of glass just above the domed port? Any problems here? Is it possible to shoot at 720p and have a clean, edge to edge shot? How about stills?

Cheers.

Jak Crow
April 7th, 2011, 08:49 AM
With the 3d system if you see the promo film from gopro you can see how clear the underwater footage they have is. This is because they are using their own focus fix lens which can be seen held by the girl in the underwater shots.

What video is this?

Marty Cerven
April 7th, 2011, 08:58 AM
This video, its in 3d but if you don't have 3d glasses you can go to the 3d options and view in 2d.

Check the end of the video from 2:34 they have underwater footage crystal clear in 3d at 2:47 you can see the girl holding a gopro with what looks like an official flat fix if you look closely (I didnt see it until someone else mentioned it, I was just checking out the girl lol) Its flat and wider then the standard housing and GoPro has been testing this for a while must be close to release

CDQ3rmEeKN8

TSwain
April 10th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Here is a new video I shot this past saturday. It is mounted on my scooter with a 10w HID in my hand and 2 Sola 1200 also mounted on the scooter and on high spot. It is in 720 (r2) and in a Eye Of Mine housing. Depths down to 96 feet and 36 deg water temp. Vis is not the best but is good for this quarry. Enjoy!

GoPro In 720 mode in Eye Of Mine Housing (http://www.youtube.com/embed/5LiAFWYmOXg)

Marty Cerven
April 11th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Here are 3 of my underwater videos with Eye of Mine housing in 720P, sharks, seals and scallops in Australia.

T3jZFzpG3ts

6zRvbJ7pGrU

gorv4r9mGxA

yarik83
April 12th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Marty I actually got goosebumps while watching that shark video. I am both excited and terrified. I got to see a few sharks myself but never this close to me. Have they swam up on you or have you ventured into their resting area?

As a side note.. could you please describe your camera setup. Do you have it attached to your head via head strap?

Marty Cerven
April 13th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Marty I actually got goosebumps while watching that shark video. I am both excited and terrified. I got to see a few sharks myself but never this close to me. Have they swam up on you or have you ventured into their resting area?

As a side note.. could you please describe your camera setup. Do you have it attached to your head via head strap?

That site has Australia's largest grey nurse shark colony, its pretty much a resting/breeding area for them and its not unusual to see 50+ in a single dive. They aren't known to be aggressive and feed at night time so its pretty safe there amongst them as long as you don't do anything silly and make them feel threatened. Ive logged over 200 hundred dives yet this spot is by far my favorite spot ever and anyone that likes big fish should go to "South West Rocks, NSW" if they ever come to Australia.

There's also plenty of wobbegong sharks there and you can see a few in that video, they are the camouflaged ones usually resting on the bottom. These are more aggressive and its easy to touch one by accident as they are very hard to see. Mostly in the cave where they pretty much cover the majority of the bottom so good bouyancy control is important there. I didn't get any usable video from inside the cave as I only had a crappy torch and the video only showed black with a tiny spot of light lol.

Here is a short clip of the biggest shark I saw there, my friend had the cam this day and I'm in front of him turning as the shark passes overhead. I think its a grey nurse but not sure possibly a tiger as it is so much bigger then all the others. This was a little scarier due to the bad vis and around a 3 meter surge running through this section. There were plenty of sharks around but with the low vis you never saw too many at once and I was a little worried about bumping into one I couldn't see.

PZXrBkS4dfk

Here is a video from the same day with low vis diving with a huge loggerhead turtle, my friend had the cam and I'm the one being chased by the turtle lol. It was big and I was trying to keep out of its way until it got too friendly and I had to push it away.

g-d4im94WGI

My setup Is fairly simple most of my dive videos are head mounted which allows me to do whatever I like and it captures all I see without having to really think about the camera. It has taken a bit of testing to find the correct angle to set the camera at and seeing I don't have an LCD screen I have found angles that work in 720p and 1080P and use a protractor to set the angle before my dives. I find 720P60 works best with head mounting as it comes out smooth even when looking around a bit, 1080P is best for handheld stable shots as it gets blurry with too much movement.

I have made a little chin strap which I attached to the head-strap as the head-strap alone isn't enough to keep it on your head underwater. If you wear a hood when diving, placing this over the headband does the same trick and the camera can't fall off when under the hood. This strap is just a a strap I took off an old sports bag I had and I hook it over the headband with the two metal clip things to keep the headband from lifting up with the current overhead.

The main issue with the head-strap is that the bubbles get in the way of the shot which can be seen in most of my videos but I've found a solution for that by using the extra extension bits that came with my helmet hero package and extending the camera ahead of my mask and ahead of the bubbles from my regulator. It looks a little dorky LOL but it gets the results.

I also use a couple of silica gel packs for anti fog, I didn't get the gopro ones but I bought a couple at a dive shop which are a little bit larger, to make them fit I take out the battery cover and they fit perfectly in the housing there with a fairly tight fit. I have not had any fogging issues since using them and have been using the same packets for over 6 months. Making sure they are always kept in my spare housing and closed in to keep them dry between use.

Here are a few pictures of my chin strap mod and how it looks with the extension brackets. Also the last two show my silica gel packs for anti fogging and how they fit into the housing.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/9048/20110130153716.jpg

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/571/20110130152829.jpg

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/8028/20110130163942.jpg

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2492/20110413173421.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7082/20110413173459.jpg

I'm looking at getting some good video lights and also the 3d setup once a underwater fix is available for it. Then I will go back to fishrock to see if I can get some cool 3d footage with the sharks. :D :cool2:

yarik83
April 13th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Very creative with camera mount. I have bonica snapper hddv and I too have to use 60fps 720p because anything less is a blur. Unfortunately one limitation of my camera is while it has all kinds of fancy buttons to control every single option.. it is just not practical because by time you change settings your target is gone. I shoot either 1080 and try to not move (ie when I am parked somewhere) or for the most part I shoot everything in 720p at 60fps and carve it post production.

hellhole
April 13th, 2011, 10:36 PM
okay... head mount.. check.. another item to buy from gopro! hahha..

nice video there...

mscott556
April 17th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Nice setup Marty! I'm going to try something like that on my next trip.

us2000ua
April 18th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Can someone post image of 720p Mako lens, how bad is vignetting? Is it like Sartec one? Sartec almost invisible. I've also heard, that Gopro finally fixed their own housing and if you call them to order and ask about new lens, they include new one. Does someone know if it's vignette at 720p?Thanks.

Arkman
April 18th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Ill try to post one after work.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk

Arkman
April 18th, 2011, 07:13 PM
here is a shot. Its not terrible. For the price I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again, although, I'm cheap.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz224/Arkman7/GOPR2290.jpg

us2000ua
April 18th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks a lot Arkman, agree, for that price it's a steal.

Marty Cerven
April 18th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Can someone post image of 720p Mako lens, how bad is vignetting? Is it like Sartec one? Sartec almost invisible. I've also heard, that Gopro finally fixed their own housing and if you call them to order and ask about new lens, they include new one. Does someone know if it's vignette at 720p?Thanks.

Do you have any more info about this lens from GoPro? I know they have been working on it for a while but if its officially available like you say then I'm surprised they haven't publicly said anything about it.

If it is a real gopro fixed setup id like to know how it looks and is it available in the 3D housing.

us2000ua
April 18th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Well, unfortunately I don't know much, it's been more then year "we're working on the fix". They are like , so secretive, :) I've read somewhere, that you can buy it from them, if you specifically request. I want to buy one now and was hoping someone here know about new lens from Gopro. I think they don't care much about scuba divers, prolly we are too small for them. I'm going to buy one from Mako Spearguns site. it comes with flat lens, so it's basically free, if they fix it, it's another $40 for housing or more :)

dumpsterDiver
April 19th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Took a Go Pro with the Mako lens to 180 feet this weekend. Worked great!

Marty Cerven
April 19th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I remember a while back that someone found a link to the Gopro diving hero on the official gopro UK webpage. I did check the link back then and it came up on the gopro site but must have been pulled for some reason.

Ive just sent an email to gopro customer support hoping they may give some more info with whats happening with this and asking if i can buy a 3d housing with a fixed lens.

I dont think its a huge market for them but I think the old if you build it they will come, A sub $300 full hd underwater video package ready to go out of the box doesnt have any competition atm, add 3d at the $650 price point and nothing comes close.

Marty Cerven
April 20th, 2011, 02:17 AM
I emailed Gopro about their flat fix and here is the response that they gave me.

"We hope to release a flat lens adapter in a few months. We may release an adapter for the 3D Housing as well.

To be kept up to date on any new product releases, please be sure to sign up for our online newsletter:"

sobe
April 20th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Since we are discussing lenses. Mind If I ask a question about one brought up in this thread. the oculus: They now offer side and top sites. Any thought? good or bad to this design? It will be used in the Vandenberg wreck. 100+ ft with dive light, I was trying to think if the site tabs would pick up too much of my "flashlight" or have any other negative effects.

Oculus R5 flat lens for GoPro HERO HD (new TOP sights) | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Oculus-R5-flat-lens-GoPro-HERO-HD-new-TOP-sights-/260769815207?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb7179aa7#ht_1245wt_983)

thanks!

Wolfie
April 28th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Just got back from Grand Cayman with My new GOPRO from Pursuit diving with their flat lens which comes free with the package and interchanges with the rounded lens. In anything but HD you see the edges of the round lens (so pics are pretty much a no) I am pretty pleased with the focus. The color is not good and you have to go real slow and stable in HD mode. I buddied up with a group from AL at turtle farm reef 4/26/11 with a case they said was from Gopro that had color lens attachments that I'm sure helps drastically. As it appears this could not be from gopro I have a feeling it was actually EyeofMine, as it looked a lot like their product. I'd like tp see how theirs came out.
See Video
YouTube - Grand Cayman GoPro HD test (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEI9MW2jCcM)

Will
April 30th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Here is a short sample video using GoPro and a flat lens for reference

YouTube - Troy Springs Freediving 18APR11 (http://youtu.be/2LHCdO9G14A?hd=1)

Down2bizDiver
May 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM
Here is the video I shot in Fiji comparing the Eye of Mine flat lens case for the GoPro HD camera with that offered by Mako Spearguns. I shoot all my dive video in R4 mode because diving has vertical as well as horizontal components and because it is more difficult to aim the camera in letterbox format. Note: I shot video at 191 feet with the Eye of Mine case but did not attempt it with the Mako case. Note: I held the two cameras side by side and this created a slight parallax effect.

YouTube - Side by Side Comparison Mako v Eye of Mine Flat Lens Cases for GoPro Camera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6snmkpo5RM)

dumpsterDiver
May 1st, 2011, 09:23 PM
Very cool comparison. I am pretty new to the Go Pro cameras. I have been filming in R-5 using the mako lens and i don't seem to get any of that ring around the image. Why again are you using R-4 versus R-5? Is the R-4 a wider view?

hellhole
May 1st, 2011, 09:50 PM
Here is the video I shot in Fiji comparing the Eye of Mine flat lens case for the GoPro HD camera with that offered by Mako Spearguns. I shoot all my dive video in R4 mode because diving has vertical as well as horizontal components and because it is more difficult to aim the camera in letterbox format. Note: I shot video at 191 feet with the Eye of Mine case but did not attempt it with the Mako case. Note: I held the two cameras side by side and this created a slight parallax effect.

YouTube - Side by Side Comparison Mako v Eye of Mine Flat Lens Cases for GoPro Camera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6snmkpo5RM)

hm..why does the shadow at the 4 corners... disappear/diminish as the video progress?

Down2bizDiver
May 2nd, 2011, 07:46 AM
hm..why does the shadow at the 4 corners... disappear/diminish as the video progress?
Why again are you using R-4 versus R-5? Is the R-4 a wider view?

What you notice is vignetting. It is present in all of the scenes. It is more or less noticeable depending on the nature of the scene and the intensity of the ambient light. The effect is most noticeable in the case of the Mako product.

The distorted corners can be cropped out in editing. I estimate that 20+% of the image is lost when cropping scenes shot with the Mako lens while about 5% of the image is lost when cropping Eye of Mine scenes.

Vignetting is reduced or absent when shooting in R5 16:9 letterbox format, but I do not use that setting for dive videos for two reasons. First, diving has a vertical as well as a horizontal component. R5 is primarily a horizontal format. Second, I find it too difficult to aim and center the subject in letterbox format compared to the standard R4 4:3 aspect ratio format.

See also my video comparing the Eye of Mine flat lens case with the standard GoPro supplied case: YouTube - Simultaneous Comparison: Watertight Camera Housings: GoPro vs. Eye of Mine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ERjOMHbj0)

Here is the video I shot using the EoM case at 191.6 feet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDFNIYgHKCg

Marty Cerven
May 3rd, 2011, 03:06 AM
What you notice is vignetting. It is present in all of the scenes. It is more or less noticeable depending on the nature of the scene and the intensity of the ambient light. The effect is most noticeable in the case of the Mako product.

The distorted corners can be cropped out in editing. I estimate that 20+% of the image is lost when cropping scenes shot with the Mako lens while about 5% of the image is lost when cropping Eye of Mine scenes.

Vignetting is reduced or absent when shooting in R5 16:9 letterbox format, but I do not use that setting for dive videos for two reasons. First, diving has a vertical as well as a horizontal component. R5 is primarily a horizontal format. Second, I find it too difficult to aim and center the subject in letterbox format compared to the standard R4 4:3 aspect ratio format.

See also my video comparing the Eye of Mine flat lens case with the standard GoPro supplied case: YouTube - Simultaneous Comparison: Watertight Camera Housings: GoPro vs. Eye of Mine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ERjOMHbj0)

Here is the video I shot using the EoM case at 191.6 feet: YouTube - "Evil Trench" Deep Dive to 191.6 Feet (58.4m) Kadavu, Fiji (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDFNIYgHKCg)

I have the eyeofmine housing and seeing as there is only vignetting on R4 mode I dont understand why you would use that and crop it after.

Using r3 gives you 60/50fps with full widescreen 170fov and no need to crop it or r2 if you want 30/25fps, you could also use 720p modes sideways if you want a similar effect to r4 giving you 1280x720 shots that can be rotated in editing.

hellhole
May 3rd, 2011, 05:12 AM

Here is the video I shot using the EoM case at 191.6 feet: YouTube - "Evil Trench" Deep Dive to 191.6 Feet (58.4m) Kadavu, Fiji (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDFNIYgHKCg)

does changing from spot focus and center focus have effect to reduce/increase the vignetting? for both mako and eyeofmine ?

Down2bizDiver
May 3rd, 2011, 05:58 AM
I have the eyeofmine housing and seeing as there is only vignetting on R4 mode I dont understand why you would use that and crop it after.
Using r3 gives you 60/50fps with full widescreen 170fov and no need to crop it or r2 if you want 30/25fps, you could also use 720p modes sideways if you want a similar effect to r4 giving you 1280x720 shots that can be rotated in editing.I have not tested R3 mode with flat lens case thus must rely on your conclusion that vignetting is absent in that mode. Both R2 and R3 are lower resolution than R4 (720p v. 960p). In addition, 60fps fills up the memory card much faster than 30fps and creates larger files with no particular advantage for my typical use. R5 is not acceptable to me for the reasons stated above. Thus R4 seems to me to be the preferred setting for diving.

Down2bizDiver
May 3rd, 2011, 06:02 AM
does changing from spot focus and center focus have effect to reduce/increase the vignetting? for both mako and eyeofmine ?I'm not sure what you're asking. The GoPro Hero HD is a fixed focus camera.

hellhole
May 3rd, 2011, 06:56 AM
I'm not sure what you're asking. The GoPro Hero HD is a fixed focus camera.

sorry... i mean the exposure setting..

quoting the manual "CHOOSING EXPOSURE SETTING
Choose between Spot Meter and Center Weighted Average Meter exposure settings depending on the lighting
of your environment:"

reading about it more.. i think it does not really matter in this instance... :)

Down2bizDiver
May 3rd, 2011, 07:01 AM
Meter exposure settings ... i think it does not really matter in this instance... :)I agree.

Marty Cerven
May 4th, 2011, 03:12 AM
I have not tested R3 mode with flat lens case thus must rely on your conclusion that vignetting is absent in that mode. Both R2 and R3 are lower resolution than R4 (720p v. 960p). In addition, 60fps fills up the memory card much faster than 30fps and creates larger files with no particular advantage for my typical use. R5 is not acceptable to me for the reasons stated above. Thus R4 seems to me to be the preferred setting for diving.

File size does become an issue at R3 and R5 modes and I seem to be a footage hoarder :D I haven't deleted much which Ive shot so far, quickly on the way to filling up a 1tb drive with my gopro shots. I haven't really used R4 diving yet mainly due to the vignetting given even with the EOM housing.

Main reason I use R3 is that the footage seems to come out much smoother then R5 if you move the camera around much. But 60P isn't supported on any video sharing sites so its only good for viewing on a hdtv through USB but it does look very smooth in original format. Down-converting it to 30P still looks better then 1080p at 30P even r4 and r2 looks much less jittery then r5 imho as the gopro seems to struggle processing any fast movement in the full 1080P mode.

R4 is 1280x960 R2,R3 is 1280x720p and I prefer the stock widescreen format rather then the tall R4 mode which leaves black bars on the side of the video.

Here is some underwater footage using the EOM housing shot in R3 uncropped down-converted to 30P for YouTube.

6zRvbJ7pGrU

Here is R5 I was very cautious to try and keep the cam still here this was actually my first test dive with my gopro.

bKYDwmyfJMI

blurryfix
May 6th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Hey good news for all of you looking for a high quality fix for Go Pro. Our company plans on hitting the market with an anodized aluminum bolt on with high quality optic glass. The parts will be available late May early June. I was hoping to get some feedback on this topic and get an idea of how many to manufacture. I will post photos and more instructions on where to purchase soon but for now all I can say is it rocks and we can't wait to get it to you.

TSwain
May 7th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Hey good news for all of you looking for a high quality fix for Go Pro. Our company plans on hitting the market with an anodized aluminum bolt on with high quality optic glass. The parts will be available late May early June. I was hoping to get some feedback on this topic and get an idea of how many to manufacture. I will post photos and more instructions on where to purchase soon but for now all I can say is it rocks and we can't wait to get it to you.

I may be interested in one. Do you know about how much it may cost and will it work in all modes? I shoot a lot in the 720p settings due to the wider angle view.
Thanks.

pwscottiv
May 9th, 2011, 11:35 PM

Let me know when you have these available for sale... I'll want 4 of them.

blurryfix
May 9th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I sure will. We plan on releasing some info on it soon and should have them for sale within the next few weeks.

blurryfix
May 10th, 2011, 12:09 AM
If interested check out the thread posted by blurryfix, type gopro in the search and you'll find it, I don't want to hijack this guys post. Thanks.

blurryfix
May 10th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Hey good news for all of you looking for a high quality fix for Go Pro. Our company plans on hitting the market with an anodized aluminum bolt on with high quality optic glass, and functions with the original lens and case. The product will be available late May early June. I was hoping to get some feedback on this topic and get an idea of how many to manufacture. I will post photos and more on where to purchase soon. For now, all I can say is it rocks and we can't wait to get it to you.

blurryfix
May 10th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Hey good news for all of you looking for a high quality fix for Go Pro. Our company plans on hitting the market with an anodized aluminum bolt on with high quality optic glass, and functions with the original lens and case. The product will be available late May early June. I was hoping to get some feedback on this topic and get an idea of how many to manufacture. I will post photos and more on where to purchase soon. For now, all I can say is it rocks and we can't wait to get it to you

Marty Cerven
May 11th, 2011, 11:55 PM
blurryfix, what sort of time are you looking at before release? Ive just recently got my second gopro and I am in the market for getting a fixed housing for it, I have one of the eyeofmine housings which I think is pretty good as it works with all modes perfectly except slight vignette on r4 and photo mode. Plastic lens and slight vignette on photomode are the biggest drawback of their current fix.

Id like to see some pictures of what you have and a rough price even if its just a current prototype to get an idea of what your working on if at all possible, im very close to ordering a second housing from Eyeofmine but will hold of if I like what you are making.

The glass optics sound good as-well as working in all modes with no vignetting as I think I remember you mentioning in another post. Just size weight and price are the main things I would like to know about your solution depth isn't much of a concern as I most likely wont be going below 40m and I'm sure yours will easily go to that level.

If you make a 3d housing then I will take a very serious look at that as I really want one of those and non are currently available that work well in 720p mode and I want more options then just 1080p.

blurryfix
May 12th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Marty, I will post some pics of the actual product later today. I will also try to show some idea of vignetting, and how it all works. A rough price is $65. But does not include the housing. Thanks

blurryfix
May 12th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I can also email you details just leave your address.

yegoshin
May 12th, 2011, 02:22 PM
can you post some product pictures on here please? Where is your company located?

blurryfix
May 12th, 2011, 08:18 PM
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=186985

Follow the link to see pictures or check out my user profile. We are in the process of manufacturing and will have product available in a few weeks. We are Snake River Prototyping located in Idaho, USA. Keep posted on info about pricing, instructions, specs, and videos.

Capt Scotty
May 13th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Interesting......waiting to here more

blurryfix
May 14th, 2011, 03:23 PM
ScubaBoard Gallery - blurryfix Gallery (http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=186985)

follow this link for pics.

blurryfix
May 14th, 2011, 03:25 PM
ScubaBoard Gallery - blurryfix Gallery (http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=186985)

Here are the pictures of our product. more info to come.

Dauntless
May 14th, 2011, 03:52 PM
Thank you, looks like everything you could ask for, ability to add filters, lens protection, probably no vignetting as wide as it is and is an addon to case or are you selling the case with modifications. I'm willing to be the Guinea pig :-)

Would appreciate estimated time of availability as i am leaving for a dive adventure first of July.

blurryfix
May 15th, 2011, 06:49 PM
see it here
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/sh...&ppuser=186985

If interested go to my profile and check it out.

blurryfix
May 15th, 2011, 06:58 PM
We should have them ready for shipping as early as May 29th. We are now accepting pre-orders as first come, first serve.
To pre-order go to Pay Pal, send payment of $65.00 with free shipping and handling in the USA to sales@snakeriverprototyping.com
Outside the USA or if you need more info and instruction on our product email us at info@snakeriverprototyping.com
They will be sold as an add on without the housing for those who don't need to purchase a new housing.
We hope to sell a package with the gopro housing in the near future.
The testing of our product has been successful at 160'+. The only limiting factor is our pressure vessel.
The vignetting is present and we will have videos to show how much, and in what modes soon (0 vignetting in R5).
The Kit will include;
*The Snake River Prototyping adapter
*Clear filter
*Enough reusable desiccant balls to last
*Spare O-ring in case you loose the first one
*Silicone. Applied only the first time or if reinstalled (small amount between the adapter and the housing)
*This will not compromise the original seal while using the original lens
*Ability to use different colored filters or none at all
*And the simple instructions, it's all the components necessary so you'll be ready to go.

see it here
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=186985

hellhole
May 15th, 2011, 10:11 PM
please show the videos. thanks!

how about international orders?

blurryfix
May 15th, 2011, 11:11 PM
International orders are no problem we just cant offer free shipping. The videos are coming soon, we have been overwhelmed with work and focusing on manufacturing. I know it's difficult to purchase without knowing what level of vignetting you'll be getting, and I apologise. We are working on getting our web site up and should have video available soon. If you are interested in the shipping cost send us an Email letting us know what info you need and where your from at info@snakeriverprototyping.com

Thanks,

Snake River Prototyping

Marty Cerven
May 17th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Blurryfix, if you remove the original gopro lens from the waterproof housing I think you will only get a slight vignette in photo and 960p.

The waterproof housing does increase the fov and looking at your design the lens itself is a similar size to the eyeofmine that doesn't get vignette in all Modes due to not having the extra lens.

This will mean that your taking away the safety factor but if its possible will give better results.

blurryfix
May 17th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Marty, We are withholding info on the amount of vignetting due to different filter testing, but I will tell you that we are very happy with recent results with different filters, we are in the process of getting in with a dealer of very high quality filters, offering several color options for a variety underwater conditions. Did I mention that the image topside is also going to be an improvement giving the ability to use polarized, fluorescent, and UV? I think when you see the video you will find no need to sacrifice the original gopro filter or seal! Video of us Machining the parts using the go pro are coming soon and hope to show vignetting, or lack there of. We are also looking into the 3D housing and see many options.

Adrian_
May 25th, 2011, 07:32 AM
blurryfix, what's the ETA on your add-on? Have you posted yet pictures and films taken using it?

blurryfix
May 25th, 2011, 06:24 PM
ETA, we will be shipping on the 29th free standard shipping, pics, and video info can be found on my personal page by clicking on blurryfix to the left of this message. P.S. no vignetting in R1,R2,R3,R5, only slight in R4!!!!!! all of this is done using the factory fish eye lens and seal so no worries.

Adrian_
May 30th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Any buyers care to share with us their first impressions? :)

Dauntless
June 1st, 2011, 11:50 PM
Received my "kit" yesterday and by enclosed note, was the first one shipped. Everything is in the package, including instructions. Took off the black GoPro plastic retaining ring and applied the silicone sealant as instructed, had to read carefully as not exactly clear to apply to both camera and inner ring of adapter. Tighten the screws in a pattern like lug nuts on your car and I also opened the back of the housing before final tightening, to look and see if the entire area between the adapter and the housing looked "wet" with the sealant from behind. One last thing, place the assembly face down on the edge of a flat surface so that the front button hangs off and press down to make sure the adapter is seated well. Got a tiny bit additional tightening by pressing down and a tiny bit turn of the screws (don't over tighten). Looks sealed. You need to be careful with the silicone as it could cause a real mess if you get it in the wrong places i.e. the lens.

After it cures for 24hrs, will do the final assembly and take to my local dive shop and put in their pressure tester to check for leaks. Really easy procedure if you are careful.

This is a really "machined" enhancement and not cheezy looking like the flat plastic replacement or the other thing. Has threads to accept real filters and if you wish, Ikelite has a 55mm slip on filter that you can remove or apply underwater. You could use that over the clear UV filter that is part of the system but I'm thinking that an additional filter will reduce the amount of light coming to the CMOS so would be better to use one screw on filter. I have had success with my flat lens replacement + red filter, removing the topside red tint with software.

The last video I took with the flat lens was OK but R5 is just too wide angle for action shots. Probably will be really great for ~ 2-3 ft. I have shot helmet cam on my bike in R3 (720 60 fps) that turned out really nice but was with the original lens. Looking forward to action shots at R3. Let's see how it turns out in the pressure test. The only bad thing I can see happening is if you get voids in the silicone sealant with sloppy application but you only get leaks in front of the original lens, again, that's why I looked carefully under strong light from the inside of the housing to make sure there weren't voids in the sealant.

Stay tuned.

mikemill
June 2nd, 2011, 12:30 AM
Got mine in today and assembled it.

What you are doing (in essence) is removing the black ring that holds the lens in place and replacing it with a filter holder. The holder has an o-ring that makes the area around the lens dry.

The design looks solid. Even if it were to fail you still have the original seal behind the lens protecting your camera. The filter itself looks like a stock filter that they just cut the edging to make it lower profile. So if it gets scratched you could go and get a 55mm UV filter and swap it out.

The silicone tube they send is huge (2.8 fl ozs when you really just need a dab) and is super easy to apply (I used the fat end of a toothpick to apply it and then used the thin end to scrape off any excess. I'll give it a try in the sink tomorrow.

hellhole
June 2nd, 2011, 01:38 AM
some picture will be good.

Dauntless
June 2nd, 2011, 09:30 AM
Couple more thoughts, he instruction sheet has the quick mount attached, it is easier to work with the housing if you take off the quick mount. To line up the holes, you look through the back of the housing after placing the adaptor and housing together, after applying sealant, and holding up to the light.

If I were doing this again, I'd roll up a sheet of paper and make a cylinder to insert in the center of the adapter while applying sealant. I might also make a little paper ring dam, to protect the lens too.

I'm leaving mine open, not putting on the UV filter and "O" ring until it fully cures - not wanting the possibility of silicone or other chemical vapors being trappen in the space between the lens and outside glass, just a thought.
Sorry, done and no pictures while in process. There are pictures in the instruction sheet, maybe they will post those.

blurryfix
June 2nd, 2011, 10:37 AM
We are in the process of taking better pics for the instructions. As soon as we get the new pics placed in the instructions, we will post them on our web site. We appreciate the feed back. All suggestions will be taken, and may be put into the revised instructions. The instructions should be fairly easy, and we have tried to make them very detailed. If you have a question send us an email to info@snakeriverprototyping.com we are here to help. Thanks again for posting.

Instructions can be seen here; http://snakeriverprototyping.com/support.html

Dauntless
June 3rd, 2011, 05:03 PM
OK, so I took the assembled housing and modification to LDS and their pressure test will go to 300 ft. Only took it to 130. No leaks but desiccant balls are not uniform in size and a large ball was crushed by the glass as the glass pressed downward (I guess). Some dessication ball trash was in the space after pressure testing. The desiccant balls are not uniform in size so recommend to use the smallest size.

The area where the GoPro conical housing lens is, was bone dry by appearance. Water did infiltrate between the glass filter screw threads and the "O" ring space, but did not get past the "O" ring. I can see, over time, molecules of water could be theoretically pushed along by capillary attraction past the "O" ring so the desiccant balls are needed. Not really a leak but would seem possible for a few molecules of dihydrogen oxide to slip past over time.

The LDS had a 55mm Ikelite slip on red filter, however, there is not enough clearance between the outside of the adapter flange and the on/off button for the rubber skirt to slide past. If you went that route, would need to cut out a space in the rubber skirt but it probably would lose some tension and holding power to the 55 mm flange. Looked at the way it fit and if I didn't have anything else to do, would calculate if there was vignetting at 127 degrees, however, by visual, it looked like there would be. The screw-in 55 cut down filter would be the way to go. You can reduce the red tint in software.

mikemill
June 3rd, 2011, 05:50 PM
We are in the process of taking better pics for the instructions. As soon as we get the new pics placed in the instructions, we will post them on our web site. We appreciate the feed back. All suggestions will be taken, and may be put into the revised instructions. The instructions should be fairly easy, and we have tried to make them very detailed. If you have a question send us an email to info@snakeriverprototyping.com we are here to help. Thanks again for posting.

Instructions can be seen here; Customer Support (http://snakeriverprototyping.com/support.html)
More of a business suggestion: Ship smaller tubes of silicone. Seriously that tube is way more than anyone needs for this.

blurryfix
June 3rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
We have been looking for smaller tubes for 2 months. Smaller tubes require an order of 3000 pieces a week (one manufacturer's quote). We currently have inquiries in with other sealant manufacturers for job-sized clear silicone sealant. In the meantime, use the excess to fix your neighbor's aquarium. :) If anybody knows where we can find some 1-2 gram packages (other than Hardman's off-white stuff) please let us know.

blurryfix
June 4th, 2011, 12:50 PM
We have unedited screen shots. One with the Blurfix one Without. Click on the photos button to the left. Both Videos were taken with no color correction. Video using the Blurfix was taken with the same clear UV filter included in all Kits. I think you'll see why we are so excited!

Down2bizDiver
June 7th, 2011, 09:57 AM
blurryfix, Do you plan to offer a complete housing with your modification already installed? Some of us are all thumbs ... I couldn't install the Mako fix without professional help!

blurryfix
June 7th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Our stock of housings are limited, but we can sell them complete. If interested in purchasing the BlurFix installed on the housing send an email info@snakeriverprototyping.com and ask for availability. Thanks for asking.

Adrian_
June 13th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Looking forward @ receiving mine, hopefully in time for the planned Cyprus trip.

Already managed to scratch the stock lens while spearfishing in Bulgaria a week ago, but footages taken in the Black Sea(higher turbidity) with the stock lens were close to useless anyway.

Marty Cerven
June 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I got my blurfix a little over a week ago, I found it very easy to install less then 10 minutes and the image quality is great. No vignette in modes other then r4 and photo which are still only slightly effected and very useable.

The screw in glass filter design is a big plus over my eyeofmine housing which I see as its only real competition for anyone that wants to use more then just r5 under water.

Unscrewing the filter gives vignette free video in all modes on land but also gives option for other filters to improve above water image quality.

Here is a little video I made comparing the blurfix vs standard gopro. The scenery was a bit dull where I filmed this so I had to stick my ugly head in the shot to show the focus difference better sorry lol.

http://vimeo.com/25224132

ozzydamo
June 20th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Some people aren't understanding how this setup works, it is the same
original lens on the go pro housing. It has a filter/lens housing installed
over the top using the same screws and retainer, which with the use of a
clear, colored or polarized screw on "FLAT" filter(Blurfix supply you with a
clear UV filter) creates the air space in which the optics work the same as
being on dry land, flat glass filter in front of the original lens with an
air gap in between, sealed via screwing down the filter onto a greased
O-ring! If you scratch it, throw it away and buy another filter for $10!
I used mine this Sunday shooting r5(full hd) and made 2 files 3.8gb and
3.6, the water viz wasn't great 10/15 cloudy looking, due to floods down the
coast from me here in Brisbane . I got a good few minutes of a Giant grouper
which is well over 100kg, possible 300lbs. It looks perfectly defined in the
shot.
If it does leak (because you stuffed up putting the filter in properly), it
doesn't go into the housing and kill the camera, clean it up, dry out your
desiccant balls and close it correctly with some silicone grease on the
o-ring.......
Safe diving,
Damo'

ozzydamo
June 20th, 2011, 07:37 AM
OK, so I took the assembled housing and modification to LDS and their pressure test will go to 300 ft. Only took it to 130. No leaks but desiccant balls are not uniform in size and a large ball was crushed by the glass as the glass pressed downward (I guess). Some dessication ball trash was in the space after pressure testing. The desiccant balls are not uniform in size so recommend to use the smallest size.

The area where the GoPro conical housing lens is, was bone dry by appearance. Water did infiltrate between the glass filter screw threads and the "O" ring space, but did not get past the "O" ring. I can see, over time, molecules of water could be theoretically pushed along by capillary attraction past the "O" ring so the desiccant balls are needed. Not really a leak but would seem possible for a few molecules of dihydrogen oxide to slip past over time.

The LDS had a 55mm Ikelite slip on red filter, however, there is not enough clearance between the outside of the adapter flange and the on/off button for the rubber skirt to slide past. If you went that route, would need to cut out a space in the rubber skirt but it probably would lose some tension and holding power to the 55 mm flange. Looked at the way it fit and if I didn't have anything else to do, would calculate if there was vignetting at 127 degrees, however, by visual, it looked like there would be. The screw-in 55 cut down filter would be the way to go. You can reduce the red tint in software.

I am using a screw on cyan filter, from UR PRO filters. Worked perfectly in natural light in the first 25meters.
When placing the desiccant balls inside the lens (I used 10 in there with a plug both sides to stop them from moving), I notice some were irregular size' but I only used ones that would slip into the groove easily, which was only two balls that didn't fit into the groove, so I threw those ones away!
I dived to 31m and had no troubles at all with leaks, except for not having enough light power for the viz and depth on the day, need over 1000lumen with diffuse domes for a good spot free look in that situation- cheap fix is don't dive that deep to get your footage, it's pretty short bottom time for no deco diving anyhow, we had to do two deco stops on the way back up, last one 15minutes at 3m, pretty boring with nothing to look at except current on the anchor line.

The only trouble I have now is being on Windows XP as I can't edit the fhd mp4 using windows movie maker- need windows live movie maker 2011...... I will take it to a friends PC with W7 to edit and show you guys some of my footage.
Have fun and stay safe,
Damo'

Adrian_
June 20th, 2011, 12:11 PM
I got my blurfix a little over a week ago, I found it very easy to install less then 10 minutes and the image quality is great. No vignette in modes other then r4 and photo which are still only slightly effected and very useable.

The screw in glass filter design is a big plus over my eyeofmine housing which I see as its only real competition for anyone that wants to use more then just r5 under water.

Unscrewing the filter gives vignette free video in all modes on land but also gives option for other filters to improve above water image quality.

Here is a little video I made comparing the blurfix vs standard gopro. The scenery was a bit dull where I filmed this so I had to stick my ugly head in the shot to show the focus difference better sorry lol.

Great video Marty, you should get a discount for this excelent advertising video.

I was planning to do one myself, but unfortunatelly the package has yet to arrive after 15 days, and I'm leaving tomorrow evening. Only have one hope left, that it arrives tomorrow at the post office and the customers are few enough so I can ask the ladies there to look for it a bit in the "unprocessed" room. Other then that I'm screwed.

Marty Cerven
June 20th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Great video Marty, you should get a discount for this excelent advertising video.

I was planning to do one myself, but unfortunatelly the package has yet to arrive after 15 days, and I'm leaving tomorrow evening. Only have one hope left, that it arrives tomorrow at the post office and the customers are few enough so I can ask the ladies there to look for it a bit in the "unprocessed" room. Other then that I'm screwed.

Thanks adrian, I actually shot footage from the eyeofmine and occulus fix on that day also but one of my memory cards died and I lost half of the footage so it just ended up the 2 housing comparison. Shame you haven't got delivery yet, mine was shipped 29th of May and it came to Melbourne Australia on the 6th of June, have you checked your tracking number? where do you live? International shipping though isn't very reliable though.

Adrian_
June 20th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Romania, Europe. Tracking number isn't working, it only reports that the electronic information was sent on 5th July. Apparently small flat rate packages don't have tracking.

ozzydamo
June 20th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Romania, Europe. Tracking number isn't working, it only reports that the electronic information was sent on 5th July. Apparently small flat rate packages don't have tracking.

UPS is better then USPS and DHL is better again, but the price is higher. mine took nearly 3 weeks. Hope the Gypsies haven't knocked off your go pro Adrian!

Marty, what video editor are you using to cut your videos out?

blurryfix
June 20th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I know it's too late in the game to get one to you before you leave, but I will check on the package from our end, if it doesn't get to you by the time you get back let us know, we will take care of you. I apologize for this unfortunately we have no control over the mail. Also we want to thank Marty and Ozzydamo for posting and the great video comparison, I too would like to see how the BlurFix does compared to the competition!

paulw
June 20th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I just returned from Cozumel and took my GoPro with the BlurFix lens to 140ft with no issues. Just before I left I had had a leak issue that turned out to be the lens coming loose so I emailed the people at BlurFix and we determined the lens locking ring had come loose and re-tightening it should fix it and it did, 14 dives with no issues. Now if I just had a red snap-on filter.

Marty Cerven
June 21st, 2011, 03:12 AM
UPS is better then USPS and DHL is better again, but the price is higher. mine took nearly 3 weeks. Hope the Gypsies haven't knocked off your go pro Adrian!

Marty, what video editor are you using to cut your videos out?

I use adobe cs5 master suite, most of the editing is done in premiere and have been experimenting with after effects and twixtor to frame blend 60p into 30p in some videos lately. Also a little testing with cineform neo trial for colour correction but none of that was in this video.

The comparison video was all premiere pro with no editing to the actual videos themselves just trimmed, transitions and a few sound effects from some free stock sounds site. I added some overlays I made in photoshop and exported that out at a 1080p HDTV 32mbps target 40mbps max VBR 2 pass render so the file is 476mb and only 2:08 in length. All the videos themselves are in native res in the 1080p frame so it gives a better idea and with a bitrate higher then the gopro files there should be no quality loss from the originals.

Adrian_
June 21st, 2011, 04:58 AM
I know it's too late in the game to get one to you before you leave, but I will check on the package from our end, if it doesn't get to you by the time you get back let us know, we will take care of you. I apologize for this unfortunately we have no control over the mail. Also we want to thank Marty and Ozzydamo for posting and the great video comparison, I too would like to see how the BlurFix does compared to the competition!

Thank you. I'm purchasing stuff online since 1999 and from the hundreds of packages received only one was robbed in Amsterdam on new year's eve (apparently they used convicts to load the plane, and the package had a high value declared). So most likelly it's just late.

What gypsies? Most gypsies we had here flew to UK, France& Italy right after Ceausescu's fall lol.

ozzydamo
June 21st, 2011, 06:48 AM
The viz wasn't flash but here is a cut from my dive vid-
QLD Giant Grouper on BlurFix Go Pro, by ozzydamo. on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/25394241)

Marty Cerven
June 21st, 2011, 07:43 AM
The viz wasn't flash but here is a cut from my dive vid-
QLD Giant Grouper on BlurFix Go Pro, by ozzydamo. on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/25394241)

Nice fish damo, looks a little too deep for the filter but it hasnt made the video too dark and there's still a hint of colour. Id like to see how it looks in some shallower video, from what ive read a colour filter is best 15-30ft beyond that most colours are lost and only external lighting will help much.

Ive got a video a friend of mine took in the barrier reef I put up a while ago with a big fish similar to yours. The intro is a little stupid :dork2: but my friend wanted me to make it funny and all I could think of was to make fun of him. 1 because it was so easy and 2 he deserved it for not listening to me.

He was actually very lucky to not lose the camera as he had it head mounted and I told him to use the chin strap or put it under his hood, he had it under his hood and under his mask which is why he had to take it off before entry the first time. If you see in the video every time the bubbles hit the cam you can see it wobble, thats because its so loose on his head and just shear luck kept it there. That's another reason I decided to take the piss out of him :D This was shot using an eyeofmine housing.

Vimeo version I was testing some software colour correction with cineform Neo 3d trial and twixtored frame blending conversion to 30p, it was all shot in 720p60. Much of the video was slowed to 50% as he couldn't keep his head still either so this didn't work as well as when I've used 100% speed 60p footage. It does blur a little too much when panning but it was my first real try using this method.

http://www.vimeo.com/23359867

Youtube version was with no colour correction or twixtor so it gives an example of software correction but the vimeo vid it is a little too red at shallow depths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajIgLnwFVjc

Adrian_
June 21st, 2011, 12:02 PM
Ladies (if we have any here :D ) and gentlemen, I have great news: I just managed to perform a small miracle at the post office. Landed there at noon (when it's less crowded), armed with a nice bouquet of flowers, and found the lady in charge with the international packets doing some paperwork, since there was no customer. Pushed the flowers, told her that I had to ask a favor, and explaned that I need her to look in the unprocessed packages arrived since yesterday. Turned out that two of the other 4 ladies assigned to this taks were on hollyday, so it was more like the unprocessed packages arrived since last friday :D.

Well, to cut it short, after some 25 minutes of searching, first in the large pack of papers and then in the deposit, and with 4 customers already lining behind my back, the lady arrived back at the desk with my package :D.

Now, don't expect that the quest was over: I went back to work, opened it, and suddenly realised that no one bothered to tell me what a dumb thing I said a few days earlier:

Looking forward @ receiving mine, hopefully in time for the planned Cyprus trip.

Already managed to scratch the stock lens while spearfishing in Bulgaria a week ago, but footages taken in the Black Sea(higher turbidity) with the stock lens were close to useless anyway.

I never realised that Greg's adapted included no lens, it somehow always looked to me like they were a part of the whole design. Guess I didn't read the topic so careful. So, with just hours from the flight, and with the packs still undone (lol) I started to frenetically search on the web for a supplier of spare lens here in Bucharest. Guess what, found one, and they had it on stock too. So right now I'm about to finally mount the adapter on the camera case.

In the end, many thanks to Greg who shipped it when he said he would (saturday). Just a day or two of delay and it would have arrived here right after I left for Cyprus.

P.S. Greg, a hint for your international shipments, coming from my recent experience: just a few days ago (june 16th) I received another package, that was mailed from the USA on June 2nd, using first class mail (letter). Weight was similar, value was the same (60$, I let you figure why :D ) tracking was exactly the same (just an input at origin) and it costed under 5$ to mail. Transit time was a bit better then small flat rate box/envelope. In case there's no catch that I'm missing, you could use this service in order to get a better deal to international customers.

Adrian_
June 21st, 2011, 12:41 PM
Installation is a breeze, it took me about 20 minutes to carefully put it together.

I'm under the impression that I put a too thin silicon layer on the back of the adapter, but will be taking the silicone tube with me and redo the installation if needed.

ronscuba
June 21st, 2011, 01:07 PM
Nice fish damo, looks a little too deep for the filter but it hasnt made the video too dark and there's still a hint of colour. Id like to see how it looks in some shallower video, from what ive read a colour filter is best 15-30ft beyond that most colours are lost and only external lighting will help much.

Depends on the visibility and amount of sunlight. I've been happy with the GoPro + filter down to 80 feet in Bonaire, but also in Bonaire 50 feet, poor viz, late in the day, and it was too dark so the footage had a lot of video gain noise.

Lenaxia
June 21st, 2011, 01:53 PM
Hey Blurryfix, is the lens still available for $65? Your site lists $75 so I'm curious as I'm also interested.

blurryfix
June 21st, 2011, 07:30 PM
The price went up to $75.00, sorry but the $65.00 was a promotion as we launched the BlurFix, right now we have discounts for bundling it with the URPro filters. Adrian, I'm happy you got it all sorted out, I know that you had asked if it would make it in time for your trip, looks like it did.... Barely! We have had a few customers who went conservative on the silicon. The most important things are to look in from the back of the housing to see that you don't have gaps or bubbles that the water can infiltrate in from one thing that I've noticed if you use enought silicone is that you will get a small amount of silicone that comes into the holes where the screws go, and always, always, always do a test dive Without the camera if you have modified any underwater camera housing!

Lenaxia
June 21st, 2011, 08:07 PM
Hey Blurry, another question regarding Adian's situation. What did he mean by there being no lens included? Is there a lens that I would need to go out and find myself? I'm slightly confused as to what you guys are offering now.

blurryfix
June 21st, 2011, 09:00 PM
What Adrian was talking about was the fish eye lens that comes with the stock GoPro housing he scratched his and needed to replace it. The BlurFix comes with a clear uv glass filter,the stock fish eye lens and seal remains in the BlurFix, you won't need to purchase anything. The videos Marty posted were shot with the clear filter included in the kit. The BlurFix kit includes everything you need to get you going and we are now selling them installed on the housing if it makes it easier. Take a look at Snake River Prototyping, LLC. (http://www.snakeriverprototyping.com) and it shows everything you get in the package. If you have questions, please send them in an email to info@snakeriverprototyping.com we will be able to respond quicker and will be able to provide more info than what we can post in the forums. We also have our phone number listed on our web site, feel free to call anytime.

Lenaxia
June 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Ah okay, that clears it up.

I'll place an order for a lens here in the next few days. i like the idea of retaining the original seal for a backup.

merxlin
June 22nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
The real advantage I see to the BlurFix option is the ability to add the filters. I guess I'm on to solution #3- as I already have the Eyeofmine and the Mako drop in lens. In order to add a filter you have to drop the filter media in between the lens and the housing. Works OK with the Mako, but then you have too much red in the shallows or above the water. The Eyeofmine is a pain in the butt to do, since the lens is wider than the opening, you have to sort of scrunch up the filter film to get it in, and it's a real chore to get out. That eliminates easy filter changes for above water or shallow water shots. With this you unscrew the filter and you are all set.

Marty Cerven
June 22nd, 2011, 09:27 PM

Adrian glad to hear that you ended up getting yours delivered in time, I look forward to seeing the footage you come back with from your trip.

Blurfix have been kind enough to send me a couple of gifts as a thanks for the comparison video I made :D So thanks heaps guys I really appreciate it :D

Adrian_
June 24th, 2011, 04:43 PM
OK, first conclusions:
1. Had to add some silicone inside the holes fron the top, not just from the bottom, in order to make it waterproof. It pushed a bit outside around the screws, but it sealed them for good.

2. You DEFINITELLY need to apply silicone grease on the filter o-ring. Without it it will take water inside the filter cavity, no matter how hard you screw the filter on the o-ring.
I was lucky because I had a car rented and found a shop called Viking Diving center withing 1 km from my hotel, otherwise I would have been unable to use the camera at all. Perhaps including some silicone grease in the kit would be a wise idea, not sure if it's available in small tubes.

merxlin
June 24th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Weird question but if the voids fill with water completely, does it change the focus that much? The W/A lenses for Sealife cameras are wet mount, you just have to "burp" them and make sure all the air is out from between the lens and housing. That would also keep the air space behind the filter from compressing at depth, which i am sure is why some of them failed. Thoughts?

Marty Cerven
June 24th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Weird question but if the voids fill with water completely, does it change the focus that much? The W/A lenses for Sealife cameras are wet mount, you just have to "burp" them and make sure all the air is out from between the lens and housing. That would also keep the air space behind the filter from compressing at depth, which i am sure is why some of them failed. Thoughts?

The problem with the gopro is that the original housing has a round lens, this cause the focus issue as its a fixed focus camera. To get it to focus underwater properly it needs to have a flat lens, so if the void filled with water it would be out of focus as the round lens would be an issue again.

blurryfix
June 24th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Adrian, we test all of our housings with the o ring dry, never have a problem. If anyone has this issue, wipe the o ring with a tiny bit of water. Silicone grease is just fine for the o ring and threads, but not necessary from what I've seen in all the testing we have done. Lubricating the o ring will help it screw a little bit further, if you look thru the glass you will see a shiny/dark line appear in the center and around the whole diameter of the o ring, it really takes less pressure than one would think. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

blurryfix
June 24th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Merxlin, which failure are you speaking of in your post? I assume you are talking about the sea life camera, and not the BlurFix?

merxlin
June 24th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Merxlin, which failure are you speaking of in your post? I assume you are talking about the sea life camera, and not the BlurFix?

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was referring to the add on filters, not your lens. According to your brochure, you had two 55mm filters that "failed" at depth. My assumption was that the air space behind the filter but in front of your lens caused the filters to crack or distort. I'm not sure how else a filter could fail. Please correct me if I am wrong.

ozzydamo
June 25th, 2011, 12:09 AM
You could change the internal lens to a flat lens on to achieve this outcome, but this setup gets a huge wide angle that's primarily why I bought it. The idea is to be able to shoot from land into the water, as Marty's video shows scallop diving, going from air to sea with no loss of focus ability.

The next mod that is required for the go pro, is to make the internal lens quickly replaceable from inside the housing so you can get different scale and focal ranges in a sub $500 video camera.

blurryfix
June 25th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Merxlin, ok now I understand that you were talking about the list of filters we tested, and listed in our instruction manual. I'll give you my take; We are building a list of filters we tested and making it available so if the filter provided in the kit gets damaged our customers have the option of buying a replacement from either us, or from other vendors. Not all filters are made of the same standard and can have minor differences that can cause failure. We have theories of why some work and others do not, but the only thing we can do is test and find out what brands work, and try to keep our customers informed of brands that do not. We aren't saying they are not as good, but just simply do not hold up to the pressures.

ozzydamo
June 25th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Sorry I wasn't clear. I was referring to the add on filters, not your lens. According to your brochure, you had two 55mm filters that "failed" at depth. My assumption was that the air space behind the filter but in front of your lens caused the filters to crack or distort. I'm not sure how else a filter could fail. Please correct me if I am wrong.
They don't change the original lens mate..................get one and see, you will be buying a screw on extension off the original lens!!!
Similar to the eye of mine, except it's a black anodized aluminum one that takes screw interchangeable filters, more UR pro setup!
U know you want to!!?!?!?!!!
It would be a perfect camera setup to take overseas, where you can be sure of the security of your stuff thru the airport or in hotels and transporting. Perfect for a big dive boat live aboard situation, where you will want something that can charge off a wall socket mobile phone charger!
Hell a guy with a cannon 5dII owns one!!!!!! WHY NOT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adrian_
June 25th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Adrian, we test all of our housings with the o ring dry, never have a problem. If anyone has this issue, wipe the o ring with a tiny bit of water. Silicone grease is just fine for the o ring and threads, but not necessary from what I've seen in all the testing we have done. Lubricating the o ring will help it screw a little bit further, if you look thru the glass you will see a shiny/dark line appear in the center and around the whole diameter of the o ring, it really takes less pressure than one would think. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

I tried it two times before starting to look around for silicone grease :)

First time it took a lot of water inside (maybe 8 mm high inside the cavity when holding the camera vertically). The second time I screwed the filter as hard as I could and got just a tiny drop on the inside of the filter (the desicant balls looked pretty dry before I opened the filter). The fact that the filter is low profile doesn't help you screw it really hard.
Judging from my experience is probably possible to manage to screw it hard enough so you won't have any leaks, without using silicone grease. But after I purchased the grease the instalation was so easy and the air space remained so waterproof that it's not worth the trouble to do trials and errors without it.

Marty Cerven
June 25th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Adrian I think you must not have sealed the blurfix properly on first install, I dont need to screw it in very hard at all and I havent had a single drop inside the blurfix yet. Id suggest unscrewing it and then redo the install and silicon. Did you wait 24 hrs for the silicon to to cure before use? If you get any water inside the blurfix then your original silicon seal must not be good.

ozzydamo
June 25th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I use silicone grease religiously with any seal-able electronic devise underwater, it's second nature to me.

blurryfix
June 25th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Adrian_ thanks for the input, I'm happy to hear you were able to get it all working. And thanks for posting about your experience. Its always good to get feedback on instalation tricks. We would like to see some of your video from this trip!

Adrian_
June 25th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Will sure do, but probably after getting back home. I have internet access (not bad actually, paid 50 euros for it lol) but don't have time to do video editing, uploads and so on.

Regarding what Marty said, I'm sure the seal was OK to start with. I replaced it after the first failure (the major one) just to find the silicone as hard as it gets. For the second one (the tiny water drop) I only dried the entire thing, replaced the dessicant balls and greased the o-ring with silicone grease. No problem since (knocks on wood).
It looks to me like the small tube that comes with the kit has a very short cure time.

PursuitDiving
June 26th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Hello everyone. My name is Dan, I am the owner of Pursuit Diving. Some of you are already familiar with our popular Polycarbonate flat lens solution for the GoPro camera. I'd like to let you know about our new glass flat underwater lens.

The glass flat lens (patent pending USPTO 29387406) available from Pursuit Flat Glass Lens For GoPro - Pursuit Diving (http://freedivingspearfishinggear.com/160-flat-underwater-lens-for-gopro-camera.html) fixes the underwater focus/blurry problem caused by the original Gopro curved lens. With the flat lens the GoPro camera can take crisp high definition undewater video. The flat lens is a drop-in replacement for the original GoPro housing curved lens. It has a depth rating of up to 180ft, the same as the Gopro housing. The lens is made of glass set in an anodized aluminum frame.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/da4095/Spearfishing%20Gear/Camera/1686WithLogo.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/da4095/Spearfishing%20Gear/Camera/GlassFlatLensForGoPro02.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/da4095/Spearfishing%20Gear/Camera/GlassFlatLensForGoPro03.jpg

Spearfishing video shot in high definition with the GoPro Hero HD and a flat lens. Courtesy of greekdiver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr_JwvSxlsM

Video demonstrating effect of the flat underwater lens at the 5 different available settings; R1, R2, R3, R4, and R5. R5 is the most suitable high definition setting for filming underwater and has no vignette effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6gOEIYBfog

To install the flat lens undo the screws of the black plastic bezel with a precision Phillips screwdriver, remove the bezel and set it aside leaving the screws in it. Take out the curved lens, there's a black gasket that goes between the lens and housing that is usually stuck to the lens and will come out with it. Separate the gasket from the lens and place it back in the housing. Put the flat lens on top of the gasket, no sealant or glue is needed. There's only one way in which the lens can be positioned for the bezel to seat back and the screws align with the screw holes, so there's no worry of assembling incorrectly. When tightening the bezel screws do it in a crisscross pattern to tighten it down evenly. Do not over tighten the bezel screws. Over tightening may compress the rubber gasket too much, making it expand into the field of view of the camera.

Housing and lens disassembled, with the glass flat lens on top of the housing.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/da4095/Spearfishing%20Gear/Camera/GlassFlatLensForGoPro04.jpg

I often get asked if it's difficult to install the flat lens in the Gopro housing. What better way to demonstrate how easy it is than by doing it outdoors on a breezy day, on a small uneven work surface, and installing two lenses at once. Adding the risk factor of dropping something in the water for extra tension :) Total install time less than 5 minutes. Video was shot with a Gopro in R5 setting, mounted on a head strap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLODlogMQQY

Adrian_
June 26th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Maybe you should post unedited videos for R1, R2, R4 and R4, so potential customers can figure out how big the vignetting is in these 4 modes.

Adrian_
June 26th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Will sure do, but probably after getting back home. I have internet access (not bad actually, paid 50 euros for it lol) but don't have time to do video editing, uploads and so on.

Well, wife got sunburned while waiting for me to come out of the water at noon today :p, so right now I'm in the hotel with a cocktail in front of me and lot of time to spare. Therefore here goes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG4MdXIOEiw

Video shot at Sheep Dip diving point, some 25 kms east of Larnaca. Lots of garfish there and not much else, easy freediving spot (6-12m shore dive).

Lenaxia
June 26th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Wow Adrian. That looks actually pretty good. There looks to be very little fish eye effect that we get on land. Is that true?

Also did you use a filter?

blurryfix
June 26th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Adrain_ nice shot! What mode were you shooting in, I'm guessing R3? Did you do any editing to you video?

PursuitDiving
June 26th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Maybe you should post unedited videos for R1, R2, R4 and R4, so potential customers can figure out how big the vignetting is in these 4 modes.The video is not edited. The small vignette effect is clearly visible in the corners of the frame in R1, R2, & R3. There's a significant vignette effect in R4, and no vignetting in R5. There would be no point to misinform potential customers about the product, they would just return it, and we're not in business to deal with unsatisfied customers. Your post does draw attention to the fact that it's easy to crop out any vignetting when editing the video.

Here's another video from one of our customers shot with our lens.

http://vimeo.com/25122406

And a link to his post Poco pescado :-( - Freedive Spearfishing Forum (http://www.freedivingspearfishing.com/forum/videos/3568-poco-pescado.html)

Adrian_
June 26th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I used the stock filter provided with the blurryfix adapter. Video mode was R2, 720p in PAL setting (25 fps).
The only processing I did was cutting the video using direct stream method, other then that it's raw footage (plus the conversion done by youtube, of course).

Either that underwater the fisheye effect gets somehow lost, or we don't perceive it as bad because we don't have the horizon line as a visual guide.

P.S. I really hope to find better stuff then garfish here :p. Tho they are quite tasty when cooked right :D

Adrian_
June 26th, 2011, 11:55 AM
The video is not edited. The small vignette effect is clearly visible in the corners of the frame in R1, R2, & R3. There's a significant vignette effect in R4, and no vignetting in R5. There would be no point to misinform potential customers about the product, they would just return it, and we're not in business to deal with unsatisfied customers. Your post does draw attention to the fact that it's easy to crop out any vignetting when editing the video.

Sorry, I had absolutelly no intention to accuse you of misinforming your customers, I appologize if it sounded like this (keep in mind that english is not my first language, so I might sometimes sound harsher then intended).
I just had the impression that the footage was cropped, which is what most people do when they have a vignetting effect.

PursuitDiving
June 26th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Thanks Adrian. BTW nice shot on that needle fish, they're so thin it's amazing you hit it at that distance. Pneumatics are accurate spearguns.

ozzydamo
June 26th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I can't believe you would bother! Ohhh my buddha!

ozzydamo
June 27th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I prefer to pat them!
This is shot with a Snake River Prototyping Blurfix mod Lens on a Go Pro.
R3 mode(720p) with clear UV filter............. NO VIGNETTING!!!!
Untitled on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/25657289)
Untitled on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/25657081)

LISTEN TO THIS!!!!!!!!!! WHALE SONG!
(juvenile harlequin tuskfish!)
Untitled on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/25656553)

merxlin
June 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I prefer to pat them!
And I am sure they all prefer you didn't. Handling the sea life is just bad form mate. Those aren't puppies and kittens.

Untitled on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/25657081)

LISTEN TO THIS!!!!!!!!!! WHALE SONG!
(juvenile harlequin tuskfish!)
Untitled on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/25656553)

Adrian_
June 27th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I prefer to pat them!

Nice video.
As for patting vs spearfishing the garfish, I very much doubt the ones here can be patted, you might notice in my video that it starts evading me when I'm closing in at about 3 meters.
You also need to take into account the difference between freediving (you are almost always either coming in fast or waiting on the bottom motionless while hearing your heartbeat) and scuba diving (you can wait for the fish to become less cautious and more curious about you, then start moving slowly and so on).

ozzydamo
June 27th, 2011, 06:21 PM
And I am sure they all prefer you didn't. Handling the sea life is just bad form mate. Those aren't puppies and kittens.

Well if I was a fish, I'd rather be patted then speared that's for sure. No skin off it's nose, it didn't seem to mind!
There not puppies or kittens to you..........................................

They are my puppies! That's why I didn't post the location!!!!!!

ozzydamo
June 27th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Nice video.
As for patting vs spearfishing the garfish, I very much doubt the ones here can be patted, you might notice in my video that it starts evading me when I'm closing in at about 3 meters.
You also need to take into account the difference between freediving (you are almost always either coming in fast or waiting on the bottom motionless while hearing your heartbeat) and scuba diving (you can wait for the fish to become less cautious and more curious about you, then start moving slowly and so on).
Well as for spearfishing with scuba gear, it's against the law here in Australia and that's a good thing!
Someday you should try some Dal lentils for a meal- Cooking With Kurma (http://www.kurma.net/)

Lenaxia
June 27th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Hey guys, I just received my BlurFix housing and am really impressed with it. The additional housing feels super solid with it's anodized construction.

I do have a question though. if I'm understanding this correctly, there must always be a filter on the housing, there is no way to swap housings while down under as that would flood the lens!

Are there any suggestions on how to handle the pinkish color that occurs between 0-15ft of depth while using green or cyan filters? I haven't played around with it yet myself as I just opened the box, but that's the first thing that struck me when I realized how it was designed.

Also, I am quite curious, I also have a mako lens, anyone have any idea how the whole unit would behave with BOTH the mako and the blurfix stacked? Would we be able to flood both lenses and get the flexibility of swapping filters down under with the benefit of no vignetting?

Lenaxia
June 27th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Oh yeah, second question about the blurfix.

How do you guys store the housing? Do you take off the UV filter and store that leaving the filter housing and dessicants open? Or do you leave the filter on? Maybe I should buy a pelican case lol

blurryfix
June 27th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Lenaxia, remember to always do a test dive without the camera whenever you make any modifications to the housing especially if you decide to try merging the two. I recommend that you rinse with fresh water, and remove the filter wipe the threads with a damp cloth, then screw the filter back on and it will be ready for the next use, the activated alumina balls (desiccant) will continue to pull moisture out of the air so it would be best to keep it all assembled. We provide plenty of them, but remember they are reusable, just toss into the oven at 170 F for about half an hour.

Lenaxia
June 27th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Lenaxia, remember to always do a test dive without the camera whenever you make any modifications to the housing especially if you decide to try merging the two. I recommend that you rinse with fresh water, and remove the filter wipe the threads with a damp cloth, then screw the filter back on and it will be ready for the next use, the activated alumina balls (desiccant) will continue to pull moisture out of the air so it would be best to keep it all assembled. We provide plenty of them, but remember they are reusable, just toss into the oven at 170 F for about half an hour.

Thanks Bill! I will definitely be doing a test dive without the camera in there in my pool before my next time!

Do you have any suggestions on the "pink" effect that URPro talks about at shallow depths?

blurryfix
June 27th, 2011, 10:17 PM
It will be most apparent when shooting directly into the light, best thing is to keep that in mind when filming, like you probly do already, it can also be removed when editing. I'm not an expert on the editing, but I am willing to bet someone will post with a recommendation for good video editing software and how to's.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1