Bifocal mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Well.... I've reached that age.

I'm 43 (almost 44) and my eyes are now at +2/-.5

My current mask is a Mares Liquid skin and it fits like a glove. It's probably the best mask I've ever had. I'm loathe to dump it but I can't read my gauges!

I've become pretty good at guessing, especially in low light, but I'm set to make a bunch of dives this coming summer where *really* knowing what your gauges are saying is going to be a little more important than it is when I'm just bimbling around.

My mask is done for and it needs to be replaced.

Suggestions?

R..

bifocal contact lenses?

R..
They are called multi-focal contact lenses. The first time I put them on and could read up close and at a distance I almost hugged the optometrist!

Each box has 6 lenses and for my bad eyes they cost about $50 a box. They say each lens lasts for 30 days, but each lens I use has lasted about twice that.

The exam cost at the optometrist at Wal-Mart was about $100 and they give you two sets of contacts included with the exam

Here is some information:
http://www.bausch.com/en_US/ecp/visioncare/product/softcontacts/purevision_multifocal.aspx

You can probably just send your current beloved mask to one of the places that create prescription lenses for dive masks and have them insert lenses with your prescription into your mask frame. Same fit; better vision.

I'm in the same situation and would like to try the stick-on lenses. But boy, $30 to try out lenses that some say either start to fog after a few dives or simply wash out of the mask ... I don't know ... ??

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom