frog kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gator Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody have any good sites or instructions
on the frog kick. My instructor never really
taught us how to do it. Thanks.

GlockDiver once bubbled...
I don't know what the advantage of frog kicks are. Other than to prevent stirring up silt in a cave.
I can remember the first time I saw a frog kick I thought it looked goofey. And the first time I tried a frog kick I really did look goofey. I thought, "Who needs this?"

But after learning how to frog kick I began to use it all the time on all of my dives... and the increased viz wasn't the only reason.

I found that it was a much more efficient kick than the flutter. The *kick~n~glide* of the frog kick reduced my gas consumption.

Then there is the issue of control... I found that it was very easy to modify the frog kick and rotate around a point (helicopter turn) without using had finning.

With practice the frog kick can be reversed to give backwards motion which comes in very handy.

One drawback of the increased efficiency of the frog kick is that I did end up getting colder on dives of longer duration. Better drysuit undergarments have solved that minor problem.

That's a funny goof you caught in that link...

Short and sweet answer about the frog kick is it is far superior for propulsion, thrust and efficiency, as well as the already mentioned benefit of avoiding silt outs. With a good frog kick you can smoke other divers, use less air and have a higher degree of trim

ok, a dumb question here....what fins are good
for frog kicks. I have some of the literature
but I want some real word opinions.

newbie-in-fl once bubbled...
ok, a dumb question here....what fins are good
for frog kicks. I have some of the literature
but I want some real word opinions.
Big flat paddle fins like my L size US Divers Blades (Blades II are probably good, but I haven't used them). I use a modified frog kick that uses mostly ankle motion and not much leg motion. This kick has better streamlined, for longer glides than the normal frog kick.

All true except for the part about smoking other divers. There's no way frog kicking in a pair of Jets can smoke a guy in freediving fins.
By the way, I dive both Jetfins and Esclapez Green freediving fins. I only frog kick in my Jets and use them most of the time. The control in the Jets is much better than the freediving fins but for pure speed, nothing beats long fins.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
That's a funny goof you caught in that link...

Short and sweet answer about the frog kick is it is far superior for propulsion, thrust and efficiency, as well as the already mentioned benefit of avoiding silt outs. With a good frog kick you can smoke other divers, use less air and have a higher degree of trim

Back
Top Bottom