Best Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personaaly have dove with several brands and the AGA is wht I sell now due to popularity and price and comfort. I presntlyhave several Kirby Morgans with built in comsets that I am selling. I got a bunch of them to teach Handi cap scuba and for ice diving. They ae beautiful band mask with builtin comsets, I am going to sell the extra's they seal well and are extremely heavy duty, great in cold water. I am tryin got figure out how to run the classified sectionof SB right now

I've got an Aga and an OTS Guardian- I pretty much just dive the guardian now. There is a double face skirt on the Guardian that is very comfortable. I always had small leaks at the temple with the AGA, that's no longer a problem with the Guardian.

I am thinking about purchasing a full face mask and would be intereseted in hearing opinions on make type etc.
Thanks

I think it is best to start with what you want to accomplish and the diving you will be doing. Communications, acoustic or hard-wired? Contaminated and/or cold water? What kind of suit will you wear it with? Open circuit Scuba, surface supplied, closed circuit rebreather? Decompression diving, all boat diving, local or travel? Will you be diving with anyone else and will they also wear a full face mask? Do you think you and your divemates will need any training or repair services? Will you carry a bail-out/backup gas supply?

There are trade-offs. Buddy breathing or using an octo can be awkward. Running out of gas is not good. Switching to a deco mix or oxygen is more involved.

I apreciate the input. My buddy and I will be doing recreational diving, mostly warm water but some cold. Communications are the priority and the driving force behind the full face mask purchase. Any further thoughts would be welcome.

Our dive team has used the Interspiro AGA for many years now. We have both wireless and hardwire communications. For recreational dives you will want to go with wireless though. We have had no problems with the masks over the years. Maintenance on them is very simple and you can learn how to do this by taking one of the many classes Ocean Technology Systems puts on year long. Go to Ocean Technology Systems website and read up on it.

As far as water leaking in on our divers... we have not had that problem. But before you use one get proper training in doing so. You have to remember that if the reg on the FFM takes a dump on you during a dive and you have to go to your octo, you will be also loosing you mask. Keep that in mind. There are a few ways around that ie, carrying a spare mask with you on the dive. But now you are carrying more equipment. Im sure this will spark a few responses.

I have yet got to see or use this mask. But from what I heard its an excellent mask and very comfortable

Dräger PN Dive Full-face mask | Military Diving | Diving Equipment | Diving equipment and systems | Products & Services

I like the Dräger mask as well though I have not actually been in the water with it. It has a lot in common with the old Normair mask from the UK, which was a fav of mine.

Unfortunately, full face masks are like half masks — they don’t fit all faces. Several masks are also used by firefighters, which is actually a much bigger market. From your description, try this:

1. Research wireless comms first. You can often get a better package deal and a single source for service and training. Also the manufacturer has learned some expensive lessons about what doesn’t work well.

2. Ask this question again about comms in a new thread. There is more to learn about wireless communications than the mask, aside from likely being more expensive.

3. Ask search and rescue, fire fighters, and police in your area what units they use (mask & comms). You and your buddy may be able to volunteer and get all the training and real world experience you need. As a minimum, you will learn a lot about reliability, service, and operating costs.

4. Depending on the success with #3, try the mask at least before you buy. Once you find the mask that the comm manufacturer offers, you can probably find a fire station near you that will let you try it on (not in the water of course).

5. Put this gear in a hard case for traveling. These masks are relatively delicate and ruining an expensive trip just adds insult to injury.

6. Make sure you know how to get out of trouble by yourself. Expect that wireless comms will change the way you dive. You must assume that you will not be able to communicate with your buddy in an emergency since the full face mask will likely be off your face. He/she does not have to far away, just around a corner or looking the other way.

Have fun, this stuff is a kick.

I personaaly have dove with several brands and the AGA is wht I sell now due to popularity and price and comfort. I presntlyhave several Kirby Morgans with built in comsets that I am selling. I got a bunch of them to teach Handi cap scuba and for ice diving. They ae beautiful band mask with builtin comsets, I am going to sell the extra's they seal well and are extremely heavy duty, great in cold water. I am tryin got figure out how to run the classified sectionof SB right now

Ptrarick, your intentions may be good, but I would not reccomend trying to use a Kerby Morgan bandmask for scuba diving, and deffinately not for recreational scuba diving. Kirby Morgan states in the users manual that band masks are design solely for surface supplied diving. Sell them on offshorediver.com or some other commercial diver web site.

cbrussell, I use and reccomend the Kirby Morgan M48 Supermask for recreational scuba diving.

M-48_SuperMask_Clear_Black_Web.jpg

It is designed for just that, unlike the Drager, AGA, band masks or the OTS mask that are being discussed. They are all full-face with no way to switch regulators and they were originally intended to be use with a surface supplied air line. That is how they were tested and the AGA was approved for U.S. Navy use if supplied by a surface air source.

The Kirby Morgan M48 has a detachable regulator pod that allows you to go to a secondary regulator if you happen to have a failure of your primary breathing gas source (i.e. cylinder runs out, primary second stage regulator stops working, etc.) without having to remove the mask and put on a second scuba mask. It is also available without the Kirby Morgan regulator so you can put your regulator on it if you want (and if it is compatable, see the users manual first). It also is easy to clear your ears with this mask because you just pinch the nose pocket like a conventional scuba mask, you have to use a rubber plug inside the mask if you dive an OTS, AGA, Drager, or band mask.

The down sides of this mask are some people think it is front heavy, and on the surface it might be, I've never noticed it to be. Not as many dive shops carry Kirby Morgan or will know what the mask is, check Amron International, Inc - Commercial Diving Gear, Hyperbaric Treatment Products, Tactical Equipment, and Outdoor Supplier or DECA-DIVING EQUIPMENT COMPANY OF AMERICA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom