Help with Suunto D9 Vs D6 Vs Vyper ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sydney Dave

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking at a new "wrist" computer and I quess wanting the most up to date hardware / software out there. Suunto is my focus but I'm open to suggestions..... Does anyone know if there is any new models on the horizon or do they just release software updates ? The D9 is very expensive but looks Great -> $ 1,399 US from Leisurepro.com Alsodoes anyone know about warrantees if purchased from Leisurepro or online ??
Also is there that much difference (other than price ) with theD9, D6 or the Viper .... haven't got into Trimix yet but I don't want to sell myself short if I want to go that way - having said that I really am just a long term recreational diver who prefers Open Water Reef & Wreck dives, so maybe the D9 is overkill ??
If anyones got any advice, I'm all ears.

Cheers from down under.

If you have money to burn go ahead and buy a D9/D6, but I would much rather buy a cheap Vyper and use the rest of the pile of cash on a nice trip or tanks or both. Better yet, send it to me! :wink:

I couldn't be happier with my Vyper and as far as warranties go LP offers its own on products that they are not 'authorized' resellers.

Good luck.

I still use a Mosquito....very happy with it, easy to replace the batteries. Why not the D4??

D9, great product and looks good!

User replaceable battery, user replaceable battery, user replaceable battery.

You sound like a stuck record ....... battery, battery, battery, battery, battery, battery, battery, battery,

If battery changes are such vital criteria for choosing a DC, you are missing the point. The product is around $1200 with transmitter and rated for 200m depth, why is 2 weeks and $20 such an issue to have the battery changed?

PS: Batteries last 3 years with regular use. What's the issue? If you are a real cheapy you can change them yourself here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...s-analyzers/245203-d9-battery-change-how.html

Unless you plan to wear it out of the water as a fashion statement the D9 is simply bling.
Most useless POS Suunto ever made. It'sto be worn by snobs only.

When are you likely to Need a new battery? When you are at the least likely place to get one done.
It's really hard to beat the Vyper as a only wear in the water style dive computer.
Price is good enough you can have 2 for the price of the D6 ( about 4 in place of a D9)
toss a spare battery in your kit and you can be ready for Murphy's best.

Firstly, I have nothing against the Vyper, in fact I like all the Suunto products, they are great. Secondly, the Vyper and D9 are the same base product except for a titanium housing, air integration, deepstop functionality and a compass. They use the same RGBM decompression model, same sensors and same algorithm, yet the D9 according to you is the most useless Suunto product ever. This "snob" would like to know how you got to that conclusion?
Lastly, if you check and maintain your equipment (part of dive planning), you will not end up with a dead battery, because you would have checked and tested everything before leaving home.

With the Vyper and the D6/D9 using the same algorithm it makes them equal as far as a computer function. Aesthetics (bling) may be important to you . The nice thing about the Vyper is the size of the digits and letters. They are bigger by about double. If your eyesight is fine and the wallet permits, the chioce is yours. I didn't read thoroughly enough to see if the compass was mentioned . The D9 and D6 have a compass the Vyper does not. The Vyper II has a compass. Be aware electronic compasses are battery hogs. Batteries last half as long or less (depending on how much you use the compass). I'm not a fan of electronic compasses . They are much better than the first Suunto electronic compasses but still battery hogs. The latest ones really allow a lot of tilting and still functioning.

The D9 and Vyper are pretty much the same, while the D6 has fewer features. You mentioned possibly venturing to trimix. Neither the D9, D6 or Vyper are trimix compatible. You would need a Hel02 for trimix.

Back
Top Bottom