Need some advise in choosing Mask and a pair of Fins.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronaldcjw

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just pick up diving like 6 months ago and now decided to get some basic equipments. But I'm still new from diving I not very sure what brand of mask and fins should I get, I hope to get some advise from professional drivers. I plan to get Mares X-Vision LiquidSkin Two Window Mask and a pair of Atomic Aquatics Split Fins.

What are your criteria for selecting these particular models of mask and fins? Instead of leaping to instant solutions, try a little problem-solving. In the case of the mask, does the one you have chosen match your facial dimensions? Does it leak when you use it in the water? Does it provide you with the best field of vision? As for the fins, do they fit your feet length-, width- and heightwise, factoring in any socks or boots you are intending to wear with them? Does the performance of these fins match what you want in the way of power, manoeuvrability and endurance in the water? Do they match your strength and your swimming style? If you decide that the mask and the fins fulfil all your criteria, then you may have what are the best mask and the best fins for you. But be aware that everybody's different and that what's best for one person isn't necessarily the best for everybody else. If you're still unsure, try out as many masks and pairs of fins as you can borrow and conduct your own trial to determine what works best for you. Don't simply follow somebody else's advice blindly, particularly if the other person's suggestion is simply another brand or model without a full explanation of why they may be a better option for you as well as them.

For a mask, I would forget the brand name (unless it is a no name) and the price and go with:
1. One that fits, and
2. A low volume mask which you can clear quicker.
If #1 above is good, you may might have to worry about #2 unless you are kicked.

The very few times I have used a split fin, I was not impressed. My preference is a regular jet (SP or OMS) and a blade (AL or DR). But you will have others that say the opposite of what I just said. Go with what you like, what fits, and what gets the job done.

Thanks you guys, I will go find our what fins and mask that suits me well.

I've heard good things about the Mares LiquidVision, in terms of it being comfortable and fitting well as the silicone they use for the skirt is very soft. Of course, comfort and fit are the most important factors in mask selection.

You should also consider a frameless mask design. Within that genre nothing beats the Atomic Aquatics Frameless, which is another great choice you should look at.

AA-framelessmask-3.jpg

Incredibly comfortable for sure, but one of the main benefits of the Atomic Frameless is that it has a very wide field of view. In fact, according to Scuba Diving Magazine's "mask round-up" a year or so ago, the Atomic has the widest field of view:

"The shape of the Atomic Frameless lens was computer-designed to maximize field of view both side-to-side and vertically, and no other mask tested here could beat it. In both the full-sized version and the slightly narrower Medium Fit version, we measured an impressive 85 degrees of horizontal vision and 75 degrees vertical."

200802_frameless_masks_03a.jpg

Consider that there are two ways to improve field of view of a scuba mask:
  • make the lens bigger
  • place the lens closer to your face
The Atomic Frameless - as the name conveys - eliminates the frame, which improves the field of view in and of itself, and does give you a somewhat larger lens. However, it's also a very "low volume" mask, which brings the glass closer to your face. As a primary way to improve your field of view, this is a superior approach to merely increasing the size of the lens. Think about it this way: if you were looking out a window at your house - even a large picture window - where would you get the widest field of view? Standing on the opposite side of the room from the window, or standing with your face right up against the glass?

257Nobsc_Picture%20window%20view.jpg

The Mares X-Vision is a good example of the "make the lens bigger" approach to increasing field of view. Hard to tell from any picture that doesn't have both in the same shot, but the Mares is a relatively wide, tall, clunky mask, with glass that may be a little larger than the Atomic, but that also is further away

Take a look at the pictures below and, for a pretty good frame of reference to compare the Mares to the Atomic. Focus on the nose pieces on the two masks: they are essentially the same size in real life. Also look at the mask skirt on the forehead area. Use those two factors to compare relative sizes - and locations - of the lenses and and the overall sizes of the masks:

1887-DEFAULT-m.jpg

atomic_less.gif

More importantly, look at where the plane of each lens sits relative to the position of the nose pocket on each mask. You'll notice that the lenses on the Mares sit further out in front, over your nose. Compare that to the Atomic which has the lens in close, right over the bridge of your nose - about where a pair of glasses would sit. Also look at the mask skirt on the top of the mask where it would be on your forehead. Note how much skirt the Mares has, and how little the Atomic has. More skirt = further away. As the "picture window" example above illustrates, even though the Mares may have "more glass" it holds the lenses further away from your eyes, such that you actually get a SMALLER field of view than on the much more compact Atomic Frameless.

Plus, due to the dual-lens design of the Mares you also have to deal with a big chunk of the frame cutting into your field of view in the middle of the mask.

Unfortunately, while you get no improvement in field of view with a larger lens you will still pay the price of wearing a larger, clunkier, high-volume mask. The larger the mask, the greater likelihood of fogging, and the harder to clear if it leaks. But probably the worst part about diving with a higher-volume/wider-profile mask like the Mares is that you can really feel it pulling on your face in even the slightest current. In fact you can feel it fighting to push against the water even just when turning your head from side to side.

I happen to find this image just now of someone wearing the Mares X-Vision LiquidSkin; see how much wider the mask is than their face/head, how and how far the glass is away from their eyes...
images

Here's a shot I found of someone wearing the Atomic Frameless; note how the mask is not terribly wide relative to the diver's face/head, and how close it is to their eyes...
mg0977uw3.jpg

Long story short - don't get tricked into just looking at the size of the lens when evaluating mask choices. The location of the lens and the overall design of the mask are much more important factors to consider.

Of course, comfort/fit is the most important factor in mask selection. The Atomic is extremely comfortable, and comes in two different sizes as well, so ability to get a good fit might be better than other masks that only come in one size. You can read a "mini review" of the Atomic that I posted on this page:

Atomic Aquatics Frameless Mask at www.DiveSeekers.com

Good luck in finding the best mask for you! Since the main reason we go underwater is to see what's down there, the mask is arguably the most important part of gear we have. The right mask can make the difference between an unforgettable dive experience and 45 minutes of underwater torture.

The Atomic Frameless mask does seem to receive ubiquitous rave reviews including myself. I followed RJP's recommedation by blind faith. He's 1 for 1 thus far... :thumb:

The Atomic Frameless mask does seem to receive ubiquitous rave reviews including myself. I followed RJP's recommedation by blind faith. He's 1 for 1 thus far... :thumb:

Hmmm... following "blind faith" when selecting a mask?

How eye-ronic!

:shocked2:

RJP:

That was a great write up on masks.

We offer masks with internal volume that range from 60cc to 170cc. Using a metal or Aluminum frame makes the mask bridge very slim and keeps the mask close to the divers face. The best choice is, as you mentioned, the lowest volume mask that fits, feels comfortable and seals with ease.

Your comments about your Atomic Frameless are spot on. It is a great mask.

I just pick up diving like 6 months ago and now decided to get some basic equipments. But I'm still new from diving I not very sure what brand of mask and fins should I get, I hope to get some advise from professional drivers. I plan to get Mares X-Vision LiquidSkin Two Window Mask and a pair of Atomic Aquatics Split Fins.

Hi Ronald, I own a pair of Hydrooptix mask

mask.jpg

Cons: They're quite pricey, about $180 bucks and you have to wear contacts with them . If you're already nearsighted then you can probably wear them without contacts. They're slightly inconvenient just due to the fact that I have to wear contacts first, but if you dive often (like I do) you'll get used to the whole process and putting on contacts takes less time than wearing a wetsuit.

Pros: After going through a 1 month supply of disposable contact lenses all I can say is this mask truly changed my whole diving experience. Other than seeing objects at their true size, everything looks a bit sharper! It's like watching HD! Field of view is just unmatched by conventional masks - 170 degrees, continuous, distortion free, panoramic.

Of all the gear I spent money on, this is the only one I could honestly say was truly worth the purchase (my atomic aquatics fin a close second):D And with scuba diving being a visual experience, it is in my humble opinion that your eyesight is worth the investment - even if you don't buy Hydrooptix.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom