AL or steels for sidemounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheWetRookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All, from what I have been reading it looks like both AL and steels are being used for sidemounting.

For those that are diving steels, I was wondering what size of tanks you are diving and how you find them riding on you while diving considering the weight of the steels.

Also would not AL be prefered for sidemounting or does it not really matter and it is personal preference.

Thanks

It depends on the type of diving you're doing. I typically dive steel 85s or 95s. Anything larger and my RMV increases unless I'm scootering because they are so difficult to swim through the water. Larger tanks are also difficult to pull off for smaller restrictions, but if you're not doing that type of diving, it may not be an issue. In Mexico, I sidemount AL80s because that's all they have and that's really all I need. The systems there are shallow and 230cf of air is typically enough for what I want to do down there (2 sidemount plus a stage). In North Florida, where the systems are typically in the 80-150' range, that's simply not enough air. I can get 240cf out of 2 95s. Add a couple of stages and that's another 155cf. That will put me in a 100' deep cave for 3+ hours. So, again, it all depends on the application.

I recently started configuring my gear to sidemount,and I'm using steel 100's. i dive off Long Island,NY,mostly wrecks with a dry suit. So far i have found these to be very comfortable,they basically are riding right along my hips,even when down to 1000psi.
I'm 6'2",230lbs,so of course that adds to the decision. my tanks might not work for a smaller person. I'm able to clip them to the butt plate handles,and still not haveto adjust them as they lighten. I'm not experienced enough with this set up yet to know if this is typical,however. Good luck!

You rig lighter tanks differently than heavier steels to keep them somewhat in control throughout the dive.

Like Dive_Aholic said, it depends on the diving. I don't like bringin LP95s if I don't need that much gas.

Greetings Mike and Dive-aholic has really hit the nail on the head so to speak. Tank size really depends on the dive you are doing; depth and duration and what trims out well for you. It was awesome for Rob to mention that his RMV goes up considerably with bigger tanks and 85's to 95's usually fit the bill. This is what a buddy and I have been experimenting with for the last several months. It is really fun to try different tanks and discover what really works best for your size and planned dives.
By size I mean body size for some guys over 6' they can trim out well with 120's or taller tanks but fellows like myself 5'10 pick shorter tanks that trim out better. Personally I have some LP 77's that work well but are pretty negative and am looking toward Faber 85's to lessen the negative weight issue. I have also been using Lux. HP AL 100's that are neutral. I have found them to be pretty clumsy but not really uncomfortable. They are 8 inch tanks and I am eager to try the Faber 95's to compare them. I have been around some divers this spring using very large steel tanks 130's, etc. These are HUGE! These fellows are just starting out and swimming these monsters around. Hats off and I am glad that I chose to optimize gas planning and tanks size to match the dives. I have been really grateful for the SM training I have received from my good dive buddy Matt Wetzel at ASP in Fort Wayne IN. You can not substitute a desire to provide great service and try to encourage you to be the best diver you can be! SM is incredible and extremely versatile that can be tailored to suit individual diver and planned dives.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I concur, your gas requirements for the dive you are planning is the highest priority, then you figure out the best way to package them - either larger SM bottles or slinging stages, but there is no one right answer.

If capacity is not an issue, then consider the potential for overweighting that carrying a lot of steel cylinders poses.

I have been around some divers this spring using very large steel tanks 130's, etc. These are HUGE! These fellows are just starting out and swimming these monsters around. Hats off and I am glad that I chose to optimize gas planning and tanks size to match the dives.

A 120 is actually lighter than a 95 in the water,and has excellent bouyancy characterisitics. All too often I know people who will chose 85s,which may not have enough gas for the dive,so they put on a stage. This extra tank will add more drag,and then the SAC rate goes up. Sidemounting itself causes more drag than backmounting tanks,and a 120 will expose more surface area due to length,and diameter,but I don't think the gain in SAC,makes the gain in gas a loss for me.

I took a sidemount class last weekend and we did dives in both AL 80s & Steels. With the AL80's we added 4 lbs of lead to each tank with a cam strap to compensate for the bouyancy at the end of the dive.

My instructor dove steel 45s for the class as we were pretty shallow the entire time. There is a plus if you can get the left/right valves as you would on doubles, as with all right valve tanks, have to flip the reg over on the left side.

Thanks all, the info provided has been a big help :)

I have also been using Lux. HP AL 100's that are neutral. I have found them to be pretty clumsy but not really uncomfortable. They are 8 inch tanks and I am eager to try the Faber 95's to compare them.

My AL100s are heavier and bulkier than my 95s. I have H-valves on them and typically only use them for no mount dives and as rental tanks for my cavern students that aren't in double cylinders yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom