Hawaii 'Ohana Forum spelling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
Aloha,

I've been wondering about the spelling for this forum name for a while now. It appears that the correct name would be Hawaii 'Ohana, not Hawaii O'Hana ("of Hana"). 'Ohana means "Family".

From Wikipedia: Part of Hawaiian culture, ʻohana means family in an extended sense of the term including blood-related, adoptive or intentional. It emphasizes that family are bound together and members must cooperate and remember one another. The term is cognate with (and its usage is similar to) the New Zealand Māori term whānau.

In actual Hawaiian culture the term ʻohana is strictly used for blood relations. Non-familial groupings always instead use the word "hui".

In Hawaiian, the word is ʻohana with the leading inverted apostrophe (&#699:wink: indicating a glottal stop or ‘okina.

The root word ʻohā refers to the root or corm of the kalo, or taro plant (the staple "staff of life" in Hawaii), which Kanaka Maoli consider to be their cosmological ancestor.

In contemporary Hawaiian economic and regulatory practice, an "ʻohana unit" is a part of a house or a separate structure on the same lot that may contain a relative but which may not be rented to the general public.[1]

Maybe a Mod can take care of this for us.

Thanks....(that's your complimentary Hawaiian language lesson for the week!) Have a great dive day!

Very Nice!

While that mod is at it, is there any way to get a macron over the o ending halemano? :idk:

Nice, and nice... Now I just need to think of a more cool Hawai'ian name to go by...

Pilikia?:devil:

...now we just need to change the capital 'H' to a lower case 'h'....:wink:

:shocked2:

And I thought you Island people were supposed to be laid back and relaxed! :rofl3:

Thanks Shaka Doug, but diving must be slow yea, you are beginning to sound like Halemano
Jeannie

Steve so funny to see your response, since I referred to his comment as something Halemano would do!

actually diving has been keeping me busy....and conditions are great too...just finally thought the name was innaccurate and thought I'd bring it up for correction. Glad to see they took care of it so quickly!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom