Orca Skinny Dipper / Marathon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A board member has offered to sell me his Orca Skinny Dipper, and I was hoping to get some opinions on it. I know it's quite an old computer, but it's within my budget whereas most new computers are not. Here are a few questions:

* Are the batteries easily and cheaply user replaceable.

* Are the sensors reliable? Given the age of the device and the fact that the company isn't around to re-calibrate it, can I trust the instrumentation.

* Is the case prone to flooding or failure?

* I notice that it's not exactly a small, wrist-mount unit. Is this a problem or it still a pretty manageable size? I'm not a small guy and I have few enough dives that I can probably walk around like a Christmas tree without too much additional ridicule.

* Finally, should I not be messing around with old tech for a primary computer? Regulators, tanks and BCs don't seem to have changed all that much in the last twenty years, but that's not really true of computers.

Cheers

Hi Aquaregia,
Here's some info about the Skinny Dipper,based on my experience with one, but I'm not sure that it is an answer to your question.

I have a skinny dipper, which I used up until 3 years ago, first as a primary, then as a backup computer. I liked it, but be aware of its limitations:
It is for air only, no nitrox. It displays only the most recent dive,although it takes into account all the dives since the most recent activation in calculation NDLs.

regarding your questions:
"* Are the batteries easily and cheaply user replaceable.":
The batteries are extremely easy to replace, The problem is finding them. If you do a search, you might find a source or two.(The place where I got mine no longer carries them.)

"* Are the sensors reliable? Given the age of the device and the fact that the company isn't around to re-calibrate it, can I trust the instrumentation."

Mine worked well into my last dive with it,as I said, 3 years ago. I see no reason why the sensors would fail to work That said, and to be safe,I'd do a few comparison dives-with a buddy who has a different computer.

*" Is the case prone to flooding or failure?"

Some early models were, due to a problem with the battery compartment "hatch". Mine never flooded, with over a hundred dives on it.BTW, the battery compartment is isolated from the main electronics , and a flooded battery compartment is a quick dry off,ready to use again situation. (As long as the cause of the flood is addressed.)

" I notice that it's not exactly a small, wrist-mount unit. Is this a problem or it still a pretty manageable size? I'm not a small guy and I have few enough dives that I can probably walk around like a Christmas tree without too much additional ridicule."

No, it is not tiny, but I never found the size to be a problem (not like the "Edge") There were "hose mounts" available. I put mine on the HP hose, just below the console, and it worked fine. I have seen others clipped to a D-ring via a lanyard/re-tractor, but IMO, that lets the computer flop around too much.

* Finally, should I not be messing around with old tech for a primary computer? Regulators, tanks and BCs don't seem to have changed all that much in the last twenty years, but that's not really true of computers.

That's a good question, and one that only you can answer for you. There are a lot of "ifs":If you are happy with the limitations of the SD,(e.g.never want to dive nitrox), if you can get batteries, and if it is still properly calibrated,and if the price is great, go for it! However, if any of those situations is a problem, then you may want to reconsider the SD.There are computers that have more capabilities (nitrox),and are not that expensive.
Personally, I'd get the S, and use it as a backup.Of course, if money is a major factor.......

Good luck,
Mike

Just a couple of quick answers:

The orca NDL model is a reliable model. The only known potential issue is if you are prone to an excessive number of deep bounce dives. If you're not, then it will suit you fine.

The Skinny Dipper is NOT a decompression model, so don't go into deco.

It CAN be used with nitrox, you will just be diving on an air profile (which shouldn't make much difference, as the orca NDL model is liberal enough that your gas supply will almost always dictate your dive time). Think of it as an added safety factor. I dive an orca phoenix on nitrox all the time, and I never have issues with dive times when I dive with guys using "nitrox" computers. It's always air pressure that sends us all back up.

Personally, I would get it and try it out (using it in addition to a standard depth gauge in order to determine its depth accuracy). If it works, then use it and enjoy.

P.S. Batteries can be found at batteries plus (they might have to order them, but they were in able to get them the last time I looked into the Skinny Dipper battery about 6 months ago).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom