Loosing it.... sort of

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Some time ago a few people on this board were talking about diving in various places along the eastern USA and finding megladon teeth. I remember parts of the discussion only - location in SC and Florida (I think). I did a search for "megladon" but found only a reference by Warhammer (and not about THE manoeuvre).

I'm thinking that this would be an awesome experience, but need to find out more details. e.g. where and when to dive, is a charter required, conditions --- well you get the picture.

All right board members - can you help? Thanks in advance....

Cooper River.
Rick

No charter. Gregg calls it a "screwdriver dive".

Put one large screwdriver in each hand an crawl against the current in 0' viz.

Sounds like fun!

ID

Tis not the viz that makes it fun... it's the reptilian company that stalks you while you do it! :D Chomp-chomp! hehe :(

Ahhh heck, I was going to tell you to check the travel section, but I'll just send in the right direction instead.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=3161

That's a recent report on a Cooper River dive in Charleston, SC. There are a few other "mentions" of it in some other threads there, so look for them. I didn't get a chance, or I should say the Mrs said "HELL NO!", to dive the Cooper on my recent outing to the area, but from what I'm told it isn't for everyone. It's a love or hate it type thing, and your there for only 1 purpose....TEETH! Big ones small ones , mediums and all sizes inbetween. They say it's the prime dive location to find the Megladons. And Don is correct, you load up with lead so you go directly to the bottom (without passing go), grab a couple of big screwdrivers, and hit it. Some people tie string to the screwdrivers and then to them, so they can be hands free. I've heard several recent reports of some huge Megladons coming from here, one was 4"!

And of course the Florida rivers, quarries, streams and etc are suppose to be littered with teeth as well.

is to attach angle iron claws to your fins. You face into the current and let your fins dig into the bottom. That way you can Braille your way around with both hands.

Many thanks . . . now was that a Phillips, Torx or a slot screwdrive that I should be taking? :D

I dive Venice Beach for fossils frequently. You're welcome to join me anytime, just let me know when you'll be heading for Florida and we'll plan some dives for you.

WWW™

Thanks Walter - I just might take you up on your offer.... but as I've said to other, I'll give you plenty of warning (just in case you want to hide).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom