burning eyes - defog or sunscreen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gzscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I just got back from a my 1st caribbean dive trip - see the caribbean section for the post. Anyway, everything was great, except for one dive. As I went down, my eyes started burning, and this continued through the dive. I managed to complete the dive without other incident, but was in a decent amount of pain when I surfaced. I know, I probably should have just called the dive at the beginning.;-0

Anyway, I think it could have either been the sunscreen that we had put on for the boatride out (we didn't want to get facial sunburns in the caribbean sun), or it could have been a bit of residual defog mixing with saltwater in the mask.

If people think the problem is defog, I think I may just go back to the spit method. Has anybody ever had a problem with sunscreen running into your eyes during a dive? And if so, what are some good ideas for facial sun protection while you're on the dive boat? We also wore hats on the dive boat.

Thanks,

The brand of defog has a lot to do with it. Some sting others don't. I would suspect the sunscreen.

For defog try "No more tears" baby shampoo. Works well, is cheap, doesn't sting. You have to re-do the mask daily (after the dive).... but it's cheap ... only takes a couple of minutes, then you're ready for the next day. And no more tears;-0

Probably some of both, including saltwater, but I'll bet on the sunscreen.

Experiment with different types of defog, I have tried a number of brands and like PSI and Viz the best. It does cost more than baby shampoo but works a lot better for me.

My guess is the sunscreen, particularly if you had put it on less than an hour before the dive. I've done that to myself a few times, trying to keep my nose from burning. Flooding and clearing the mask helps remove whatever it is.

Putting the sunscreen on before breakfast gives it time to soak in.

Sunscreen should be applied in a cool area well before exposure to sunlight. This gives it time to soak in before you start sweating out in the sun. Be careful with waterproof sunscreens. I've read somewhere (I can't recall where right now) that it can cause blindness. That aside, it stings like crazy!

Diverlady

Sometimes I like to take my mask off underwater, open my eyes and take my reg out of my mouth to smile when my wife takes a piture of me UW. When I do this in the Carribean, after I put my mask back on and clear it, my eyes always sting for a little while afterwards from the saltwater.

It might be that you are getting saltwater in your eyes and around your eyes where your eyelid meets your eye. Could be from a leaking mask or just from your entry into the water.

Maybe I'm a freak, but I've always liked the way the saltwater stings my eyes, tastes in my mouth (sometimes I also like to take a little saltwater in mouth the get the taste of the Carribean), and puckers my lips after a dive in Carribean... the saltwater's effects sort of smack me in the face and say, "Check it out, Dude!...Your in the Carribean!".... and I love that!

My old defog (depleted after 10 years! -- possibly "SeaVision"?) and spit never hurt. Newly purchased Sea Drops did, but my son's gel (Sea Gold) by the same company did not. I remembered I rinsed his TWICE as per instructions, but did so only once for the liquid. This was the probable cause.
This was in a pool for AOW classes. First few nights I was embarrassed to spit, and bought the above for us. The chlorine never bothers me. No sunscreen was used indoor. BTW, I heard in LDS sunscreen discolors silicone mask skirts.
Try rinsing after applying defog;

Hi Greg,

I've never used anything but spit in my mask.

I've had stinging eyes from sunscreen several times...

Like above, I've had minor stinging from the saltwater itself but that always goes away after a minute or so.

The sunscreen sting gets to be enjoyed for the whole dive. ;-0

i use chapstick 45 spf on my nose cheeks and ears - never a problem.
good for tatoos too.

My vote is for the sunscreen. I wear contact lenses and if I get the least tiny amount of sunscreen around my eyes it is horrible. For some reason the lenses seem to make it worse.

Back
Top Bottom