Sherwood SR1 Yoke Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcellreceptor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an SR1 that I'm overall happy with. I just got home from a dive trip to the Red Sea (was diving out of Dahab) and had some problems.

I have a yoke connector and was having trouble getting it to seal with the tanks that the dive shop uses. It seems like the SR1 connector is a little bit larger than the opening on the tanks. Therefore, it was very difficult to get it to seal, even though other regs could seal just fine to the same tank. They were DIN tanks that had yoke inserts in them. Sometimes, by trying a number of different inserts, I could find one that did seal.

The dive shop recommended that I convert the reg to DIN and just pull the insert out if a shop uses only yoke. Do all tanks with a yoke valve have inserts that can be removed, i.e. to convert them to DIN? Alternatively, could I convert the reg to DIN and then carry a yoke adapter? Would this solve the problem with the Sherwood different-sized yoke?

Finally, the dive shop didn't refer to their valves as yokes. Instead, they referred to them as "international." Is this just a different name for yoke, or is it actually a different connection.

thanks in advance,
Brian

Hrmm. I use both yoke and DIN fittings with my SR1 and I have never had a problem with either. I would hazard a guess that the problem lay with the valve inserts at the dive shop...

I also use a SR1 (Yoke only) and I have not had problem connecting to yoke type valve in Canada using various aluminium and steel tanks as well as the Cuban steel eighties which used a 200/232 yoke/screw-in adaptor type of valves. There was only one instance when I discovered a leak after rigging my diving equipment and the DM quickly fixed the problem by changing the insert of the valve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom