Dive Report - Jupiter - March 4, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSharkk

Contributor
Reaction score
Because of commitments, horrible winter weather here in Florida, and rebuilding my home, I have not been diving since August, 2009. This forced interruption has been an eternity and an agony.

The weather cleared and warmed up yesterday. I had just rigged my new Conshelf 14 regulator, and was anxious to field test it and get it in service.

Shop = Jupiter Dive Center

The shop has recently augmented several worthwhile changes to the check- in and dive procedures. These subtle nuances have only improved an already outstanding dive operation. These guys just keep getting better.

Check-in = Gerry and Adam

Captain = Tim

Divemaster = David

Deckhand = Tony

Partly Cloudy, 2 to 4 foot seas

Nitrox = 34%

Water temperature + or – 72F

Slight north current

First Dive Site = Area 51

Visibility = 40 ft.

One male loggerhead turtle

One southern stingray

This usually productive spot was a little slow on big animal action. The second dive site more than made up for any deficiencies of Area 51 today.

Second Dive Site = The Tunnels

Visibility = 60 ft.

On the drop, there were 6 caribbean reefs sharks (one of them tagged), and 4 jewfish (aka goliath grouper), there to greet us.

Drifting along the ledge produced a six foot nurse shark and a large male loggerhead sleeping peacefully together on top of the reef. Both creatures were being groomed by several cleaner fish.

Further down the run the prize winning animal of the day, a young green sea turtle, was asleep in the open. As we drifted further, we happened upon a few more caribbean reefers, and four jewfish.

Just before ascending for the safety stop, the remaining divers ran into a cluster of 6 caribbean reefers milling around a blow out on the bottom.

It was a very good dive with fine animals aplenty.

Sometimes when I stay away from Palm Beach County diving for a while, I realize just how spoiled I am. The turtle nesting season has only just begun, so their numbers on our reefs should start to rise very soon. The northward heading fish migrations are underway, along with the sharks swimming up the coast. It looks as though we are going to have an outstanding spring this year, and I plan to dive Jupiter heavily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom