Loggerhead Turtle Attack!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello Fellow Divers,

Please do not leak this to the press... Florida is in the middle of a tourist slump already with all of them thar greedy sharks off of our coast, and a few indiscreet gators in our lakes and rivers (and pools, and houses, and you name it)... We won't even go into all of the poisonous snakes, spiders, insects and plants. You might think this state is un-friendly or something.

(With an Australian accent, please)So, here I was at 60 ft, slowy approaching a medium sized Loggerhead to take a picture. It was a buet! Suddenly it turns toward me, I frame the picture and take it as the viscious Loggerhead fills the veiw finder. Then I realise that... HE'S AFTER ME!!! oooooweeeeee!!!! Don't try this at home kiddies, these Loggerheads really mean business.

With a cold shiver going down my spine I try to elude the beast. I go up it goes up, I turn it turns. (My son, in the meanwhile, is simply laughing at the sight!) Finally, out of breath and my back against the wall, I turn and face it down. It doesn't know what to do, so it turns. ooooweeee That was close! What's a bloke to do???

(OK, OK, I sligtly embellished it, and my apologies to any Steve Irwin (or is that Urkle) fans.)(And no, I don't think ANY other Aussies are like ol' Steve) (Except for maybe the Gasman... oops... just call that a Freudian slip :tease: )

Seriously though, I beleive that this turtle had been fed by previous divers, and that he was wanting a hand out. I know turtles are higher up evolutionarily speaking... but just as it was a little disturbing to have a loggerhead follow me for a bit, I would have been quite un-nerved by a shark doing the same thing! Nurse, spinner, sand or reef, they all gots teeth!

:tease:

On my trip down to Peacock Springs last month we had a small gator (4-5 ft) sharing the spring basin with us. He didn't bother us - and seemed quite unconcerned with us. The park ranger said he was getting a little too friendly and may have to be moved soon.
Rick

NetDoc,

I just got back from your lovely state and I have decided that you'all are puttin us on about all the gators there.
We Dove Vortex Springs, Peacock Springs and several dives in the ocean and didn't see not one gator. The sharks are real, but I think the gators is one of those spook stories!

ID....lookin for a distant cousin

...just how effective their schtick is. Gators are in EVERY water way in Florida... mostly hidden, and very, very, VERY patiently waiting for some fool nawtherner to stop worrying about them for only one half a second... I will say that they are easiest seen at night with a good light. Their eyes glow bright (like all predators, including sharks) from the light amplifying crystals in them. You look out during the day, and the pond looks empty. At night, the word "infested" will come to mind.

AND...

If that Gator is very, very evil and delights in the ruination of all who happen by him... we ship his butt to Gainesville to play on the BEST TEAM IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!

Go GATORS!!!

Originally posted by NetDoc
... mostly hidden, and very, very, VERY patiently waiting for some fool nawtherner to stop worrying about them for only one half a second...

AND...

If that Gator is very, very evil and delights in the ruination of all who happen by him... we ship his butt to Gainesville to play on the BEST TEAM IN COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!

Go GATORS!!!

But NetDoc,

I am not a nawtherner and I hate to dispute your claim.....but I am from [red]OKLAHOMA....OU[/red]

Who needs a light with all of this Florida Sunshine... Hmnnn... the O-Us??? How many times have you been asked "O-U What???" I guess "Whats Amatta U" had been taken...

Me feels a song coming on...

Not to post a reply that is (gasp) on topic with the initial message this thread or anything... ;-)

Pete, I had a similar experience in Boynton Beach on the reef last weekend. It wasn't picture taking, but a loggerhead swam under one of the divers I was with, then turned and started to pursue! At the time, we concluded that it was a dangling catch bag that may have looked like a jellyfish, but you may be right that those turtles may in the past have been hand-fed.

According to the boat staff down there, they used to feed squid to the jewfish -- I mean goliath grouper -- until they started to show up with leaders in their mouths. Supposedly, there's an 800 lb. big guy who will swim right up to you to see if you have any squid. I don't think I want that close an encounter with that big mouth!

Julie

I saw the whole thing.... That must've been the same turtle tat ate my toe in Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell Texas. They must've been so worried he was a nuisance they transplanted him here.

bad turtle!

I tat I thaw a turtlecat!

Yikes heheheheh

Syruss
http://www.coraladventures.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom