The Whale Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pic1360

Reaction score
Have any of you ever seen a whale shark and are they friendly,
hostle (well maybe not, since they have no teeth) or just don't mind if there are humans swimming along side them?

Apparently I missed a very late sighting in Thailand by a week three weeks ago :upset:

I've been told that they are friendly, curious, and someone witnessed one opening its huge mouth apparently just to let divers' bubbles in.

I think I might have seen one in February while in the Maldives, I was coming back on the boat one day when I saw large, whitish regular spots just below the surface which seemed somehow to belong to a darker surface beneath.

Just as soon as I started to try to get other people's attention, whales (real ones, split rear fin and all) appeared on the other side of the boat :eek:

I will never know if I was right or it was just a trick of my eager imagination ;-0

You might want to do a search on this board...there was a thread on them in the Marine Life area recently...

They are gentle but shy. I did 4 snorkel dives off Utila in February at which we encounterd whale sharks. The don't like the noise of boats and spashing to most of the thrill is spotting them as long as you can before their inevitable dive. Still, 18 to 30 foot long fish in good viz are a sight!

Diving with a Whale Shark is my ultimate diving goal. Think that would be the most exciting thing in the world to dive with such a giant. Hope I have that experience very soon.

If you are in new orleans ,i guess thats what n.o. stands for take a trip to the flower gardens ,there is a high likely hood to run into whale sharks there ,just dont get dumb when near them ,most times you can snorkel next to them , i cant because i dont dive with a snorkel but others do .
i am talking about snorkeling not diving . there are lots of whale shark sightings there and they are friendly ,not jaws .

Whale sharks are an awesome sight! I saw 2 of them this past April off of Utila as well. If I knew how to attach pictures, I would. My husband got a great shot of a (small) one passing by our boat. The DM's claimed it was only about 15' long.
DivePartner1, you are aboslutely correct - they do not hang around long. But they are definately a sight to remember!

I'm not sure if this'll work by I'm trying to attach a picture of a 27 footer diving. Without the right lense, it was too big for the camera!

Cabo, Mexico is another spot they are known to frequent....although I didn't when I was there 2 years ago. Wrong season, they told us.

I havn't seen one yet but hope to some day. They say the Flower Gardens is a good spot and one of the best times to go is in AUG right before the coral bloom so I would say between the 11-22 would be a good time. Maybe some one else has some insight on the best time to go.

Back
Top Bottom