How bad is diving in Maldives in end of June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharka

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can anyone give some insights on exactly how bad diving is at end of June in Maldives? I know it's rainy season. Unfortunately we only have vacation days during that time and we are considering going to Maldives. In general how bad is the vis and how choppy is the sea? How rainy does it get? My husband and I want a nice vacation with some decent diving so it will be land-based (I can't do LOB anyway since I get seasick easily). Should we rule out Maldives and look elsewhere in SE Asia? Budget is not really an issue (time is a bigger problem for us). We have been to Philippines / Bali / Sipadan before so looking for something new Thanks!

I would suggest that you check out PNG or a Bunaken/Lembeh trip. We were in Maldives this past Feb., and did land based and LOB while there. The diving was OK, but nothing compared to Indonesia, where we did Bunaken and Raja Ampat (lob). It takes about as long to get there or longer, and while very lovely, the diving wasn't even close to other places we have been. I will add that the food was fabulous everywhere we went in the Maldives, but who travels that far for good food??? We can get that in Dallas.

The best conditions for diving in the Maldives are between November and May with the best visibility from December to March. The problem with June maybe confirming a liveaboard departure.

Definately second the recommendation for Raja Ampat.

I have been to several places (Sipadan, Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Australia) and I think the Maldives is as good as any of them. Each places is different so focus on the attractions there. The coral was badly affected by the El Nino in 1998 and is not as good as some places in Indo or Philippines, and in general Indian Ocean reefs do not have the same level of color as SE Asia. So if you want shallow coral gardens this might not be the best place in the word. Some of the best Maldives dive sites are for advanced divers due to depth and strong currents but you get great walls/drop offs, excellent fish life and good pelagic action. Regular manta sightings, whale sharks, reef sharks, eagle rays, dogtooth tuna, turtles and huge schools of fish. Would rate it higher than most SE Asian sites for fish action.

Of course Raja Ampat is a whole different story but is not easy to get to and land based options are very limited.

As for Maldives in June, you may have some rain and viz might not be the best but you can still expect decent diving conditions. Dive operators tend to know sheltered sites even if the weather is not great. I have dived there in May/June and had 20-30m viz on some days. You might want to try Baa Atoll in June. Hani Faru is one of the best places to see manta rays and whale sharks especially during the SW monsoon. The peak season is from July to September but June should also provide some good manta sightings. There are also some nice reef dives. The Four Seasons Resort in Landhaa Giravaaru is a great place to base yourself from if looking for a land based holiday.

The Four Seasons Resort in Landhaa Giravaaru is a great place to base yourself from if looking for a land based holiday.

I second the four seasons if you are looking for an all around good dive vacation/very nice resort atmosphere with the unique Hanifaru experience. They have a manta research center there also.

Well, the Maldives are always in the monsoon... in a way.

southwest monsoon = ca. Mai to November;
Norhteast monsoon = Ca. Nov. to April

I was in south Ari Atoll in September and October for Whalesharks (and Mantas). Yes it is called to be the rainy season, but it rained 3 times for half an hour. that was it, although it is stated in the weather charts to rain 14 days in October. One time, we were on the ocean while it was raining and it was not as bad. waves were <50cm, so little choppy. Viz: it is not really a question of bad weather (channel diving) than a question of plankton. If the water is full of plankton, big feeder are probably there. If you would like to see Mantas, there is a general rule where you rather can dive with them:

south west monsoon: eastern outer reefs;
north east monsoon: western outer reefs.

To make a conclusion: you can have luck and it never rains, or you are very, very unlucky and it rains only once in 2 weeks. But this can even happen in the highest season. If your main purpose is diving, I would go.

HI All ,

Are you a seriouse diver who is looking to do the maximum of Maldives diving expedition. Land Based is not the way to do Maldives Diving Vacation . Ofcourse you should do a LOB , but since Maldives have so many dive sites and is so remote , you require to choose the right LOB with dive guide who is knowledgeable and knows the dive sites and to manage and do the route according to the current flow and the wind.

The time end of June is not the best time for LOB tour in Maldives , this is the most rough weather season . Mostly liveaboards go for docking at this 2 months.

Maldives best excellent time is Jan to end of May . this period is the most nice calm weather and you can expect high visibility . You can see coral gardens to small aqurium colour full fishi , to Sharks to whales sharks and Mantas can be seen in a 7 nights tour .

August to end Of December is also great time , the best thing about Maldives it is not seasonal you can expect to see whale shark at certain point always and Mantas can be seen too. However August to end of end of Oct we call it Manta season . Maldives is highly getting famous for this time period for the Manta breeding time in Baa Atoll where at this reef ring you can expect to see 100's of Manta gathered for the feeding frenzy .

Maldives is nothing less and is highly one of the top dive destination in the globe. Maldives is different and unlike any other destination you can expect to see from small to big animal and coral gardens of all kind.

Back
Top Bottom