Lionfish reports coming in daily in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie

Proud to be a Chaos Muppet
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I heard from Karrie Carnes, outreach coordinator for the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary today that she is receiving lionfish sightings daily in the Sanctuary. We'll be carrying catch nets on the Spree, and anyone who wants to bring one home will be trained to catch them. We can't yet catch them in Ecological reserves, but that's only a minor permitting issue. Hopefully soon...:shakehead:

Hey Wookie;
At what point will the idiot bureaucrats wise up and let us start gigging the damned things within the preserves?
I am thinking an ID class and them we are off to the races.
Obviously, I need the class, those things are virtually indistinguishable from a grouper, much less a grunt.
Chug
Thinks it will be too late before the idiots wise up.

Agreed Chug, even the Bahamas, where they have strict laws against spearfishing on SCUBA have made an exception for spearing lionfish, pretty sad when we're behind the Bahamas in protecting our reefs. Between the bureaucracy of government and organizations like REEF convincing people to report, not kill we'll be seeing these bastard fish on every dive in no time.

I am trying to look on the bright side Chip, it will give me something else to do underwater.
With my new 149, I think I can kill the damned things by the thousands from the beach.
I will be certain that none survive from Hollywood to Deerfield in less than 45' or so.

Chug
Pending a Lionfish kill, not yet an official member of the "Knights of Heidi".

It's open season on lionfish in the Keys, within existing regulations of course. As for the naysaying about bureaucrats, they are actually progressing with the times by allowing removal from no-take zones with training and a permit. Something like 100 divers are already permitted to remove from those areas. And more will be trained up soon. It's called adaptive management, and I applaud them for acting as quickly as they did. They Keys benefited from the mistakes of other islands, those who promoted lionfish, saying divers need not visit the Red Sea to see lionfish anymore (Bahamas). These folks had a plan in place (response hotline and rapid responder dive teams) before the first fish showed up. Besides, spearing isn't as effective as hand nets according to documented research. I know nets aren't as sexy as guns, but either way, getting those buggers out of the water is the important thing. I've had them fried, grilled and ceviche... I'm just awaiting that cook book.

Lionfisher is right. I am one of the few permitted to remove them in the no take zones. Ecological reserves are a different animal, but I'm sure we will be able to remove them there soon. I saw an FWC team on the Adolphus Busch yesterday making lionfish stew out of one. When a report is made, folks go out and get it.

OK OK OK;

I officially apologize for thinking that the "powers that be" are suffering from cranial rectal inversion on this.
Apparently I am uninformed.

I have read that a net is the way to go, but being the typical American male I think of shooting something first.
I do however truly enjoy catching bugs live, as they are a much greater challenge that way as opposed to the shooing them thing with a pole spear.
I see this as a worthy pastime at some point.

I am with you on this Onespeed.....I do not wholly agree with REEF.

How do I get the training so that I can go into the sanctuaries and capture, kill, gather the beasties correctly?

Chug
Likes Lionfish, but only where they are supposed to be.

Good luck with that.
I see them on just about every dive over 100' from Daytona to Frying Pan Tower in NC.There is an established breeding population and with the vast area available not visited by divers and no natural predation they are permanent guests.Not that I don't polespear at least a 100 a year if not more.
I assume since the Keys are similar to their natural habitat that they will grow there at a faster pace.

Good luck with that.
I see them on just about every dive over 100' from Daytona to Frying Pan Tower in NC.There is an established breeding population and with the vast area available not visited by divers and no natural predation they are permanent guests.

This may be true, but if the lionfish that we do see are removed, then at least the reef fish in those areas will have some measure of protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom