Mixing Brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba13

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am in the process of buying my gear. :) I am going to get all Mares stuff, except for a dive computer, since I hate the model they make. Can you use a different brand? I didn't know if it would fit on the first stage or what?

Thanks!

I mean it's decent gear I guess, it strikes me odd that you would go for the whole outfit. I'll assume that you've dove all the competing gear and settled on the funtionality that you found most appealing.

You can use any computer, it'll get integrated into the console boot (or worn on your wrist where it's an easy glance away). The computer (unless it's air integrated) doesn't connect to the first stage really, just rides in the console with your SPG.

IMO, there's no reason to get all your gear from one company... especially Mares.

Many see Mares as being the bottom of the barrell in terms of recreational scuba gear.

Read through the equipment forums to see opinions on other brands... Halcyon, Apeks, Scubapro, Dive Rite, Sherwood, etc.

Why not just go for the wrist with your computer, then if you upgrade regs later or decide you want a lower profile you won't have a console that doesn't "fit", so to speak.

My first set of regs has a console with computer, pressure gauge and compass......it sits in the bottom of a tub rarely used except by my niece.

My current set up is high performance first stage, two equally high performance second stages, a single pressure gauge on my high pressure hose, computer on my wrist and a compass on a lanyard in a pocket only used when needed.

Neat. trimmed and streamlined.

Well, I would love to get scuba pro stuff... but im 16, I have little money to spend. So I am tryign to get the best stuff that I can afford.

Scuba13 once bubbled...
Well, I would love to get scuba pro stuff... but im 16, I have little money to spend. So I am tryign to get the best stuff that I can afford.

Don't buy a computer at all, just use tables and a dive watch. If you are just starting out on a limited budget...a computer is way way way down on the list of things which are important.

Take a look at some of the gear in the gear swap here or talk to your LDS about used gear/trade-ins. Heck take a look at ebay. There are many ways to get really great quality gear for minimum cash outlay.

Well, it's really just the scuba pro BCD's. They cheapest one is like 400. I like the sherwood one, a lot cheaper. As long as I could hook a diffferent inflator to the scubapro, i would be set. My LDS makes it seem liek you NEED a computer.

You might want to look into buying your gear USED. Some people jump into scuba-buy a couple of grand worth of stuff and then decide they aren't really into it-so they dump it for cheap. One of my buddies just getting into diving bought 2 complete dive outfits (BCD's, regs, computers, fins, wet suits and skins, etc..) for under a grand-the LDS checked out the life support stuff, and he was good to go.

jonnythan once bubbled...
IMO, there's no reason to get all your gear from one company... especially Mares.

Many see Mares as being the bottom of the barrell in terms of recreational scuba gear.

Umm do you want to elaborate on why Mares gear is bottom of the barrel? IMHO Mares is more towards the top of the pile....

If you are on tight budget look at decent second hand scuba equipment. All it will need is a good service and will cost you much much less than new kit.

woodwaster once bubbled...
You might want to look into buying your gear USED.

Buying last years computer might be the way to save $, it will do the same thing (in the case of a Suunto) but may not be as small or offer as much asjustment.

Depends on you needs are you diving or planning on diving Nitrox? Maybe you don't need that or if you do you may only need one that allows you to use EAN32 or EAN36 not every % from 22 to 40.

But second hand will always save the $ just get it checked out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom