Clear or black...what do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fourseventeen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Atomic Aquatics frameless. I am looking to buy one....do I want black or clear. Average recreational diving with the occasional snap of a camera. I have never dove with a black skirt mask before so not sure of the difference. Can anyone chime in who have tried both?:crafty:

Tried both and hated the black especially when taking photo's. Too limiting on your peripheral vision...imho.

I found I like black skirts on the masks. I've found the sometimes there was a funny glare coming in from the clear skits on the masks.

the score is now 1 to 1 lol.

Might have been useful to have a poll running.

Personally, I have a clear skirt on my mask. I don't recall if there was the option to get a black skirt on the mask. But since it's a prescription mask, I can't complain.

As a side note, something black absorbs more light than something white (not too sure about clear). Hence, I would assume that a black skirt would be more prone to sun damage than a skirt that is lighter in color.

black, will use clear on deep and night dives

Naw not into the neon colors LOL. My wife on the otherhand...she would sport a pink one of they made it lol.

Polls...I dont like polls LOL.

Black is winning the race currently.

The atomic frameless fits very close to your face and had an extremely wide field of view. Thus the difference is minimal in either case since the amount of skirt you can see is really small. Maybe more of an issue with other mask with larger sides and more tunnel vision. Its is an amazing mask!

Might have been useful to have a poll running.

Personally, I have a clear skirt on my mask. I don't recall if there was the option to get a black skirt on the mask. But since it's a prescription mask, I can't complain.

As a side note, something black absorbs more light than something white (not too sure about clear). Hence, I would assume that a black skirt would be more prone to sun damage than a skirt that is lighter in color.

Don't make that assumption... the damage is caused by UV, not visible light. Both colors will absorb 100% of the UV.

Back
Top Bottom