Mares Avanti Superchannel Full Foot Issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Revid1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I returned recently from a dive trip after using these fins. They are great fins and just what I wanted while diving from a boat. However, I noticed that they have really lost their shape. They seem to be bowed and the center of the fin appears to be stretched out, maybe from getting too warm. Anyway, they didn't keep their shape very well. Has anyone run into this with these fins, or fins in general? I have always used a harder material and so was disappointed with the durability.
Any suggestions? Will Mares stand behind them for something like this?

My wife has Mares Volo Race FF fins that lose their shape. They are very, very flexible, verging on the flimsy. When not in use, I place them, sole to sole and heel to toe, then hold them that way with a bungee cord. I haven't done the experiment, but suspect the supposed "lost shape" would disappear on first use and, even if it didn't, would have no effect on function. The flexibility of these fins is their advantage.

I have Mares Superchannel open heel fins. They are stiff and do not lose shape at all. I store them loosely (i.e., with no pressure on them) in a dive bag.

I've had the same Mares Plana Avanti since the late 80's. The toe pocket is a bit deformed (my fault stored without the pockets keepers) the fins are stiff, very stiff and have held their shape all these years. I recently bought a pair of Avanti full foot pocket for warm (I hope) water diving without boots. They have a lot more flex then my old ones and have small keepers for the end of the channels as well as for the foot pocket. I like them, also like the idea of using the same type fin for all my diving.

I have the Mares Volo Power fins and they are out of shape/twisted after 15 -20 dives. Always kept them flat with pocket holder in. The dive shop told me these fins were easy on the legs and would not give you cramps. They were correct because there is never enough resistance to give you a cramp. I feel like I need a push to get started and they are getting worse every dive.

Sounds as though it must be the nature of these fins. Glad I only paid $45, because by the time I mess around with shipping both ways for a possible return, I could purchase another pair.

that's what happens when you buy fins that are made from $2 worth of crappy plastic. sorry...

Jet Fins.

N

I have a pair the newer verion, but never had that problem. I prefer the performance of the Atomic full-foot splits, but I still think the Superchannel full-foot is a great fin. A better name might be the Supercomfortable; very smooth with the best foot-pocket in the business! They generate some serious power in a full kick once you're moving, but their accelleration from stop and precision around the reef is average.

Last edited:
Didn't you just pick up a pair of Mares X3 fins ...? :wink:

Henrik

Yep, and so far no issues and a two pound weight savings. I think not sticking them on the bottom of the bag and leaving there might be key. In fact, I don't think it matters if they have a funky shape, my old Planas were never straight, seemed to work fine until the foot pocket finally split and the front of the pocket also developed a kink that let the blades fold under.

I got some spring straps on them and on my wife's X3s as well. They were both cheap, under 40 dollars I think, if I recall, in any case, if durability and performance and versatility are the requirement, there is only one and the one is Jet Fins.

My requirement of the Mares X3 is light weight, travel friendly, if they come apart after a few years, I will get some more. At 60 dollars per bag for being overweight, I can buy a lot of fins, every pound counts these days and four pounds difference for two sets of fins is huge.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom