Strongest prescription mask rental on Maui? [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Strongest prescription mask rental on Maui?

Sponsored Link
FengShui
July 31st, 2003, 02:05 PM
Does anybody know of a place on Maui that has prescription masks for rental in excess of -10 diopters? My brother in law is going to be trying snorkeling when we go next week, but the most powerful masks I've found for rental so far is -10 from Snorkel Bob. Does anybody know of a place that has masks in the -11 to -12 range?

We'll use the -10 if we have to, but something that fits correctly would be better. We tried to get contacts for him, but the ones he needs are backordered for a month.

--Ted

detroit diver
July 31st, 2003, 02:12 PM
FengShui once bubbled...
Does anybody know of a place on Maui that has prescription masks for rental in excess of -10 diopters? My brother in law is going to be trying snorkeling when we go next week, but the most powerful masks I've found for rental so far is -10 from Snorkel Bob. Does anybody know of a place that has masks in the -11 to -12 range?

We'll use the -10 if we have to, but something that fits correctly would be better. We tried to get contacts for him, but the ones he needs are backordered for a month.

--Ted

Although I don't know of any shop that rents prescription goggles (there, or anywhere), you can have a set of inserts send from leisure-pro.com that might work out for you. They can be inserted into any mask. They are called DiveOptx

Gilligan
July 31st, 2003, 02:33 PM
Try calling some of these shops:
Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei 808-874-3421
B&B Scuba in Kihei 808-875-2861
Maui dive Shop in Kihei 808-879-3388
Pacific Dive in Lahaina 808-667-5331
Lahaina Divers in Lahaina 808-667-7496
Scuba Shack in Kihei 808-879-3483
:shades:

FengShui
July 31st, 2003, 03:16 PM
detroit diver once bubbled...

Although I don't know of any shop that rents prescription goggles (there, or anywhere), you can have a set of inserts send from leisure-pro.com that might work out for you. They can be inserted into any mask. They are called DiveOptx

Most shops in Maui rent them, they're just not powerful enough for a perfect fit. I've called Maui Dive Shop, but I'll try some of the other numbers listed above. Thanks.

DiveOptx only go up to 3 diopters, so while it's a good idea, they're not nearly powerful enough.

--Ted

friscuba
July 31st, 2003, 06:19 PM
You can check around, but most manufacturers top out at about -7.0 or -8.0. I have heard of -10.0's out there but not sure if they are commonly available in rental.

Good luck,

Steve

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1