Jet fins vs Twin Jets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This will open up the perverbial can of worms . My honest advise is that you try each before buying . Try renting them . I own both so obviously it is apples and oranges . good luck and watch the battle begin.

I have also tried them both. The twinjets are underpowered, but may help if you don't have strong feet. Otherwise, the jetfins are just gorgeous - specially for the frog kick.

Always test new gear you are interested in before purchasing. Go to your local LDS and ask them if you can try them out in a local pool somewhere. Most LDS have that option but not all do, so keep that in mind.

I recently spent alot of time researching scuba pro fins and I can honestly say that you should not opt for their split fins. My 5 cents worth is to rather buy their SeaWing Nova (paddle fin). It is in my opinion the best paddle fin in the world and it behaves alot like a split fin with its supreme comfort and power (check out scubalabs review its awsome!).

If you have to have a split fin then I suggest either the "Apollo Bio" or the "Atomic Smoke on the Water", both are tops in my books. If I where to choose from the two that you mentioned I would have to go with the "jet fins" because they have stood the test of time and are excellent for Frog kicks, Backward kicks ect.

Jet fins are: cheap, durable, negative (often useful for dry suit divers), heavy, stiff (good for precise maneuvering, but requiring more effort per kick), and easily adapted to all kicking styles.

Twin Jets are: expensive, neutral to positive (sometimes useful for wet suit divers and travelers), lighter (useful for traveling), floppy (good for reducing muscle effort per kick, but awful for precise maneuvering) and difficult, though not at all impossible, to use in alternative, non-silting kicks.

Which fin you choose will depend on how those characteristics intersect with your personal needs.

I own a set of Jet fins, the choices you are asking go with the jets I also own a couple sets of OMS Slip streams which I prefer over the jets, but what suits one person may not suit another if you can try them out before you purchase either by renting or maybe some one you know could let you try theirs?

I also have a set of Cressi Rondelles with spring heels which I hate if anyone is interested.

I sold my Twin Jets for a set of Jets after getting to try the Jets. Better for maneuverability.

Twin Jets had a smaller foot pocket and sometimes hurt my feet, even with good boots. They were faster than my Jets but to floppy when trying to turn or backup.

I wish I would have gone with the Jets the first time around and saved the extra $75 for something else.

Back
Top Bottom