Veo 100 - How do you open battery hatch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

=Jwin=

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all. Yes, this is my first post, and yes I joined this forum just to ask this question :wink: Although I may stick around on here. I like forums :D

Ok here's my deal. Through my college, I'm getting certified in Diver Rescue (or Rescue Diver?) through Naui. Our final checkout dives are this coming saturday, except my main computer, a Suunto Gekko, is at the dive shop getting a booboo repaired. Well I bought a used Veo 100 from the dive shop when I first bought my gear as a backup computer. Smart idea, especially with this weekend, right? Wrong. My battery's dead because somehow the thing got oriented in the box where the button kept on getting pressed, thus activating the computer (I think. that's my theory anyways). Well, the battery is dead. Plus it's the stock battery, which helps me with my theory.

Well I have a nice fresh Duracell 2450 sitting right in front of me ready to go. Except I can't get the flippin' battery hatch off the thing. :shakehead: I've already stabbed myself with a screwdriver once already. So, the instruction manual states that I have to apply "inward pressure" on the battery hatch and use a screwdriver thingy to turn it. Inward pressure how?? And where?? Every orientation I've tried has failed me.

I know this is a stupid, technologically challenged question. But be proud that I came to you guys and gals for help :dork2: I'm a member of several forums (none of them scuba diving :p until now), so I know forums are some of the best places to get answers. Help me out, pretty please

Oh, and you're probably wondering why I can't just get the dive shop to help me open it. Well A) they have a monopoly in this town of mine, where they're the only dive shop around and charge ridiculous prices. And B) they're closed this weekend for heaven knows what reason.

Haha thanks everyone
-Justin

The clear plastic domed shape cover? Because that's been my go-to point to press on with no results. Maybe something's got the ring stuck in there. Is the cover supposed to move at all when I press on it? Or am I supposed to press on it without expecting any signs of movement or results?

I think the longer they've gone without being opened, they harder it is to get them opened.
Well crap...it's this computer's first time. I guess I'll just need to use patience and elbow grease. Thank you for the reply though. I'll be sure to let you know when I get it opened...it's a personal challenge now.

Or.. since you bought it used from your local dive shop, why not ask them for assistance? Cheap used computer or not, they should give you some help.

I got it! Ugh. That was quite a pain in the butt. It took quite alot of elbow grease to open that sucker. And I actually have a theory as to why it was a pain in the butt.

My theory is that when they first seal it up, it's either formed with an almost vacuum in the little bubble housing thing, or it's formed in hot air, where the air shrinks when it cools down (creating a partial vacuum anyways. Low pressure). Which is why it was so hard to get that thing to press down with enough pressure to open, and then it was a royal pain trying to get the plastic bubble off. But once I got it all off and the new battery in, it was hard to get it all back on again. It's like, once it's off, it wants to stay off. Because now I can turn the ring to open it again like it's nothing. Oh well, theory or not I got it opened and we're all good now.

I tried searching before posting, but couldn't find anything. Hopefully this thread will pop up if someone searches when they have the same problem. Thanks for the advice.

Oceanic (and many others who use that system) computers are a big pain to change batteries (successfully).

It's always hard to get the clear plastic cap off. Remember yours is used. I don't think it is that hard when it's new but when it's new no one needs to change the battery. You said yours is used right? It's think the pressure thing is related to diving pressure changes.

The manual says that when you get to that point to turn the computer over and the cap will fall off...right! There is no lip to get a hold of.

You need to be very careful however not to scratch the battery compartments top edge. If you use any tools to try to get that clear cap off you will more times than not leave a small scratch.

You won't know if you have done that until your dive. If it floods...you scratched it!

I have an Oceanic and a TUSA IQ-700. I ended up getting the IQ-700 for several reasons but the main reason was for a reasonable method of changing batteries. You simply use a quarter to unscrew the battery compartment lid. There is only one place for the battery to fit and only one place for the sealing o-ring to fit. Put top back on and you are done.

I think Suunto uses a similar battery system to Oceanics. It is just a little easier to put back together because there is a little more of a positive feel to where the cap should rest on the battery compartment pill.

Let us know if your computer floods (hopefully it won't).

We also had trouble removing the clear dome.

We read what the above posters said about elbow grease and “keep turning”, but we didn’t realize how long you had to twist with the inner pressure.

All I can say is keep twisting and twisting and twisting with both thumbs ….. may take several minutes.
then poof.... the clear dome will pop off.

Note: the manual is confusing because the retainer bar is underneath the clear dome. You will not see it until the dome is off.

tag: remove clear dome on VEO dive computer battery hatch housing VEO 100 180

Last edited:
Remember Righty loosey, Lefty tighty, and remember, "If the old battery can be removed and the new one inserted within 8 seconds, nitrogen and oxygen calculations and settings, will be retained for repetitive dives."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom