Where to stay in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zodiacdiverdave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Can any one recommend an great place to stay in Key Largo perferably with a beach access. My wife and I plan to stop there for 2 nights on our way to Key West and would like to get on a snorkeling tour. I appreciate any info or links I can get.

Thanks,
ZDD

I stayed here last weekend and had a good experience. It is clean and comfortable but is not the ritz: I think it is a reasonable value. The hotel is on the bay side and you can walk out on or sit on small jetties and there is sandy area where you can sit in a beach chair. Note that the sand area ends at a sea wall that is a few feet high (above the water). The ground does not slope to the water like a regular beach (which is true at a lot of places in Key Largo). Beautiful sunsets though.

Key Largo Hotels, Hotel in key largo, Bayside Inn Key Largo

Ramada limited key largo was great. Beach access is real hard to find. John Pennekamp (sp) State Park is the snorkel spot for just walking in but I'd get a charter out to molasses reef if I were you.

We like the suites of Key largo (key west inn). They are right in the marina. It's not the nicest place but they do have some benefits like kitchens, two bathrooms, upstairs room with bathroom, downstairs sofa makes into a bed and has it's own bathroom. Each unit has a screen porch that overlooks the marina and is a perfect place to dry your gear before you pack it up and head home. We always seem to pay 99$ per night and if someone doesn't mind sleeping on the sofa-bed it can be half that. Again, these are not the nicest places but they are clean and the screen porch for gear makes this place my favorite in Key Largo. Almost forgot, the units are elevated and there is parking underneath, helps keep the car a little cooler in the FL head.

I just have to give a shout out to Jeff owner of the HMS Minnow in Key Largo. The Minnow is a 26' parker setup for a six pack. He is usually first out of the Marina in the morning so you get your choice of balls. The parker has a fin ladder in case you prefer those. Two tank dives with weight run 80$ and NOX is another 9$ per bottle. I have done over 30 dives with Jeff in the past two years and would not consider going out with anyone else. The main reason I bring this up is Jeff has special rates with the Key West Inn.

I'm staying at the Hungry Pelican next month for a few nights and supposedly it has a beach, it has two docks and a boat ramp and free use of kayaks. You could paddle out and snorkel from them (you won't see a lot but you will still have fun.) If you won't be here until after mid-June, PM me mid-June and I'll tell you how I liked it. Least expensive accomodations in the Upper Keys.
PRIVATE WATERFRONT
We hope you will take advantage of our bay front location. Our sandy beachfront is equipped with lawn chairs and tables for your enjoyment. The salt water is generally a pleasant temperature for year round swimming.

I stayed here last weekend and had a good experience. It is clean and comfortable but is not the ritz: I think it is a reasonable value. The hotel is on the bay side and you can walk out on or sit on small jetties and there is sandy area where you can sit in a beach chair. Note that the sand area ends at a sea wall that is a few feet high (above the water). The ground does not slope to the water like a regular beach (which is true at a lot of places in Key Largo). Beautiful sunsets though.

I second the Bayside Inn and the sunsets!!! I stayed there in January and enjoy it. Sucks that Snooks is gone though. :depressed:

Can any one recommend an great place to stay in Key Largo perferably with a beach access. My wife and I plan to stop there for 2 nights on our way to Key West and would like to get on a snorkeling tour. I appreciate any info or links I can get.

Thanks,
ZDD

Depends on what you mean by "great." If something of the old school Keys variety is of interest, and you don't want to spend a lot of money, look HERE . My wife and I have stayed at Bay Harbor 5-6 times. It is tidy and clean and there a lot of trees for shade--rather rare, in my experience. There is a small pool, a smaller beach on a much bigger ocean (bayside) where kayaks are available for use. There is not a lot of space in the rooms; it is not modern, although most, if not all, the bathrooms have been modernized.

It appears desirable in every respect including price as compared to Marina Del Mar where I usually stay.

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom